• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

OK, here's some RT perspective on the franchise over the years...

Superman: The Movie 93% (53 reviews)

Superman II 89%

Superman II: The Donner Cut 90%

Superman III 26%

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace 12%

Superman Returns 76% (worship)

Man of Steel 56%

and now Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 37% (so far).

I thought I would make up this list before anyone makes any rash judgements (please notice the % for Superman Returns). lol

yeah but what's going to matter is the audience over the critics.
That's what should make this all very interesting by Sunday afternoon next week. :popcorn:

Millar has a talent for getting his works optioned but I think we are severely underappreciating the people who wrote the screenplays for those films, which Millar didn't do any of, nor direct any of.

A lot of great source material from multiple mediums have been turned to mess because the people writing the screenplay didn't adapt and change it well to view on the screen.

He's a very capable big idea guy, that's why he consults to keep him in house, he's not a filmmaker.

...but neither is the guy who wrote the FF screenplay and directed it IMHO :grin:

Superman II 89%

Superman III 26%

Man of Steel 56%

I thought I would make up this list before anyone makes any rash judgements (please notice the % for Superman Returns). lol

I have never based the decision to watch a movie based on critics. Critics LOVED Snowpiercer - but that movie made my eyes shoot blood out of my ears.

Really? For Snowpiercer? Really?!?

True -- but neither's Frank Miller.

Sin City? Sure.

But look what he did when he wrote Robocop 2, Robocop 3 or (shudder) The Spirit.

I'd argue Goyer's had far more hits than misses in terms of comic book screenplays (including Nolan's Batman trilogy) and he deserves far more credit than he's gotten for getting Blade to the big screen, which arguably proved the viability of later films like X-Men or Spider-Man.

And Drew Goddard's basically unimpeachable right now as the original show runner of the Netflix Daredevil, immediately following up with the screenplay to The Martian (which was both a fairly difficult adaption to pull off and I think improved on the weak spots of the book).

Millar has a talent for getting his works optioned but I think we are severely underappreciating the people who wrote the screenplays for those films, which Millar didn't do any of, nor direct any of.

A lot of great source material from multiple mediums have been turned to mess because the people writing the screenplay didn't adapt and change it well to view on the screen.

He's a very capable big idea guy, that's why he consults to keep him in house, he's not a filmmaker.

...but neither is the guy who wrote the FF screenplay and directed it IMHO :grin:

Chronicle was a good movie. It's easy to see why he was tabbed for bigger projects in the way Marvel plucks directors, and he had a Star Wars job locked up. I suspect a lot went wrong on both sides, him and the studio.

I may be dating myself here, but I like Superman III more than Man of Steel. . (worship)

To be fair, both Superman III and Man of Steel had the lead actor from the very cool The Man From UNCLE, yet Superman III had Richard Pryor. WIN! :whee:

Pryor was hilarious in that! Plus it has the fight between good Superman and Bad Superman, no robo-suit needed here...just a garbage compactor.

hqdefault.jpg

I may be dating myself here, but I like Superman III more than Man of Steel. . (worship)

To be fair, both Superman III and Man of Steel had the lead actor from the very cool The Man From UNCLE, yet Superman III had Richard Pryor. WIN! :whee:

Pryor was hilarious in that! Plus it has the fight between good Superman and Bad Superman, no robo-suit needed here...just a garbage compactor.

hqdefault.jpg

Not to mention the young and gorgeous Annette O'Toole as Lana Lang after the sad and long Margot Kidder years.

I'd argue Goyer's had far more hits than misses in terms of comic book screenplays (including Nolan's Batman trilogy) and he deserves far more credit than he's gotten for getting Blade to the big screen, which arguably proved the viability of later films like X-Men or Spider-Man.

And Drew Goddard's basically unimpeachable right now as the original show runner of the Netflix Daredevil, immediately following up with the screenplay to The Martian (which was both a fairly difficult adaption to pull off and I think improved on the weak spots of the book).

I think Goyer was good but he's been it at so long and I think hasn't changed - I think his dialogue leaves a lot to be desired now in a way it didn't 10-15 years ago. Even the Nolan Batman stuff has some cringe worthy dialogue moments.

Goddard developed Daredevil but he didn't showrun that show, it was Deknight. Goddard left to do movies for Sony before the season started, though he did write the first two episodes.

Goddard is great though.

That bullet to the eye scene in Superman Returns? Epic. (worship)

There were a couple of interesting scenes. But that was definitely up there as a high point.

That, and the plane save, are some of the better parts of Superman Returns.

Superman II 89%

Superman III 26%

Man of Steel 56%

I have never based the decision to watch a movie based on critics. Critics LOVED Snowpiercer - but that movie made my eyes shoot blood out of my ears.

Really? For Snowpiercer? Really?!?

There are certain genre of films that i go see just because rottentomates gives them a rotten score

Reviews Prove To Be Meaningless As BATMAN v SUPERMAN Takes Aim At Massive Opening Weekend

Deadline reveals that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is currently taking aim at an opening weekend of over $160 million in North America. That's obviously a great start and may just prove how meaningless Rotten Tomatoes is when it comes to being an indicator of a movie's success. Of course, the real proof will be in the pudding this weekend when the actual numbers come in; if moviegoers don't respond well to the Zack Snyder helmed release on Thursday and Friday, we could see a significant drop over the weekend as people decide to spend Easter elsewhere. Time will tell.

There were a couple of interesting scenes. But that was definitely up there as a high point.

Always kind of felt bad for Routh...Thought he did a good job as Supes and Clark but the -script...

That plane save was also awesome. It was the sort of thing that would happen in the Golden Age. Spacey as Luthor was memorable and so was the model trainset in the basement... :cloud9: