• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

i saw this but didn't want to read it until i saw the movie tomorrow.

It won't change my excitement to see the film. It does leave me waiting for that moment now, and not telling my friends I am attending the film with.

:(

Yeah, I wish I hadn't read it (but I almost always read spoilers). Can't believe they'd make Lois and Lex lovers.

i'm happy i haven'tead anything about it

Yeah, keep it that way. ;)

Apparently, I need to stop reading this thread, too. I'm going to assume that Lois and Lex comment was a complete joke. :taptaptap:

i saw this but didn't want to read it until i saw the movie tomorrow.

It won't change my excitement to see the film. It does leave me waiting for that moment now, and not telling my friends I am attending the film with.

:(

Yeah, I wish I hadn't read it (but I almost always read spoilers). Can't believe they'd make Lois and Lex lovers.

i'm happy i haven'tead anything about it

Yeah, keep it that way. ;)

Apparently, I need to stop reading this thread, too. I'm going to assume that Lois and Lex comment was a complete joke. :taptaptap:

I wish it was. And all because WW got preggos by Supes and this is Lois's attempt at revenge. So stupid. Of course it's a joke. I wouldn't put any real spoilers until the spoiler thread discussion.

I've been looking forward to this movie ever since it was announced. It's playing tonight at my local theatre but my friends and I are skipping and going to a one-time showing of Resevoir Dogs instead. I'll still be seeing it in the next couple of days but my enthusiasm has been severely curbed. With the exception of 300 I don't really care for Snyder's style. It seems he would be ideal making the cinematic sequences in Call of Duty games imho.

With the exception of 300 I don't really care for Snyder's style. It seems he would be ideal making the cinematic sequences in Call of Duty games imho.
It's a shame really. I really loved the frantic filmmaking style he did in "Dawn of the Dead." You felt like you were right in the middle of things with Sarah Polley. Then stuff started looking fakey and a 2nd unit videogame style of directing took over. I thought parts of 300 and Man of Steel were good and I really enjoyed Watchmen: Director's Cut, everything else has felt too noisy and having the same amount of substance you would see in a Ghost Rider movie. I never go to the theaters anymore, but I'm still interested in seeing the Ultimate Cut of this movie on Blu Ray despite the critical panning.

with so many reviews in now, the math is pretty rigid at it being around a 33% flick; so my natural optimism has me of the belief i'll be like one of every 3 reviewers and find it entertaining! i'll be there tonite at 6.

Snyder is a talented visual stylist, but has no idea when it comes to story. I thought "Man of Steel" was abysmal, particularly in its treatment of Superman. I just don't dig his take on the character or universe at all. DC superhero movies seem so joyless. I'll be seeing this on Saturday, but my expectations are even lower now than they were before the reviews hit. And I am a firm believer that "popcorn" movies can be well made. Populist doesn't have to = thoughtless.

With the exception of 300 I don't really care for Snyder's style. It seems he would be ideal making the cinematic sequences in Call of Duty games imho.
It's a shame really. I really loved the frantic filmmaking style he did in "Dawn of the Dead." You felt like you were right in the middle of things with Sarah Polley. Then stuff started looking fakey and a 2nd unit videogame style of directing took over. I thought parts of 300 and Man of Steel were good and I really enjoyed Watchmen: Director's Cut, everything else has felt too noisy and having the same amount of substance you would see in a Ghost Rider movie. I never go to the theaters anymore, but I'm still interested in seeing the Ultimate Cut of this movie on Blu Ray despite the critical panning.

Ah yes thank you I had forgot about DotD. I really liked that movie as well and I agree with you how the cinematography seemed to change thru the movie. I feel like he def got a boost from Gunns screenplay too.

My score for how often I agree with the collected critics scores on RT Is around 65%.

The Dark Knight is the pinnacle for me and the critics couldn't deny it but 300 and Watchmen are fantastic translations from comic to screen that score in the low 60s if I remember.

If BvS bottoms out at 10% I am still watching it on the big screen just to see the battle inspired by the greatest comic I've ever read.

60% on RT is still usually an okay fun film or a film that tackles a topic that would split people but still okay. Like movies like Independence Day or From Dusk Till Dawn are in the 60's (both of which IMHO are better sits than Watchmen or 300), just to show that. 60% is not usually regarded as a movie that's panned.

Watchmen may or may not have been a great translation but I can totally see moviegoers who don't give a mess about the comic - i.e. most people - not caring about that.

Tell me when this misconception that in order for a movie to be considered serious, thoughtful, or adult (especially in a genre like superhero movies), that the movie must be dark and gritty?

Life is a mixture of light and dark, it is not constantly one cord, and it can at times change quickly in tone. I am not saying DC should be Marvel (it needs to be its own thing), but they can take some of the things that Marvel clearly does right like mixing tones, and different style into their films, and create a DC style. The reviews make it sound like BvS was so determined not to emulate the lighter, sometimes funny, and sometimes corny Marvel style that they pulled out anything that could be seen as copying Marvel and only left darkness. BvS is so concerned with not being Marvel, that they lost any sense of fun.

DC has left itself in a very difficult position. On one side, they so desperately want the same leave of success and profit that the MCU has enjoyed, and are trying to copy that. On the other hand, they want to be seen as not Marvel, so they are ignoring the lessons that Marvel has learned over the last 5 or 6 years, which could be used to make a strong DCCU.

Tell me when this misconception that in order for a movie to be considered serious, thoughtful, or adult (especially in a genre like superhero movies), that the movie must be dark and gritty?

Life is a mixture of light and dark, it is not constantly one cord, and it can at times change quickly in tone. I am not saying DC should be Marvel (it needs to be its own thing), but they can take some of the things that Marvel clearly does right like mixing tones, and different style into their films, and create a DC style. The reviews make it sound like BvS was so determined not to emulate the lighter, sometimes funny, and sometimes corny Marvel style that they pulled out anything that could be seen as copying Marvel and only left darkness. BvS is so concerned with not being Marvel, that they lost any sense of fun.

DC has left itself in a very difficult position. On one side, they so desperately want the same leave of success and profit that the MCU has enjoyed, and are trying to copy that. On the other hand, they want to be seen as not Marvel, so they are ignoring the lessons that Marvel has learned over the last 5 or 6 years, which could be used to make a strong DCCU.

They're also ignoring the good work being done on the TV side in favor of redoing everything for the movie side. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, why they would recast the Flash and ignore the whole TV universe they've built in favor of a new actor/back story is simply beyond me. I'm guessing they'll waste the Supergirl they're building on TV as well, if they ever decide to bring her into the movie side.

I fear for Suicide Squad.

-J.

I wonder if it will fair better with the critics because it is David Ayer versus Zack Snyder.

Fury (2014): 76% on RT

Sabotage (2014): 19% on RT

End of Watch (2012): 85% on RT

Street Kings (2008): 36% on RT

Harsh Times (2005): 48% on RT

Wow! They seem to be hit-or-miss in liking David Ayer movies as well.

:eek:

I could agree with that. I'm not sure I remember a single joke in the movie. The closest thing to a joke was a complete throwaway line that you'd only get if you remember a single reference earlier in the movie. The movie takes itself way to seriously, even beyond that of Nolan's trilogy.

Edited by WhiteLantHawkeye

They're also ignoring the good work being done on the TV side in favor of redoing everything for the movie side. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, why they would recast the Flash and ignore the whole TV universe they've built in favor of a new actor/back story is simply beyond me. I'm guessing they'll waste the Supergirl they're building on TV as well, if they ever decide to bring her into the movie side.

Its funny you mention the DCTV stuff, because their shows have be consistently excellent. Flash is unapologetic about bringing a very colorful, hopeful, generally upbeat version to life. It is an excellent example of applying Marvel lessons and creating a DC world (even better than most of the Marvel shows have done). The TV shows have not fallen hopelessly into grim and dirty worlds absent of humor. In general they do a great job of balancing funny moments and darker topics, and remain well written and most importantly fun.

Almost 2000 audience reviews and it is at 79%. I read many and most of them can't believe what the critics are saying. So why don't audience reviews count? I would much rather believe the audience than critics that may or may not have their own agenda. I realize audience reviews can be doctored to a degree but I believe the majority are just giving their real opinion. I'm going tomorrow so I'll see for myself. I'm certainly not going to wait for dvd release just because a few hundred critics reviews.

Its funny you mention the DCTV stuff, because their shows have be consistently excellent. Flash is unapologetic about bringing a very colorful, hopeful, generally upbeat version to life. It is an excellent example of applying Marvel lessons and creating a DC world (even better than most of the Marvel shows have done). The TV shows have not fallen hopelessly into grim and dirty worlds absent of humor. In general they do a great job of balancing funny moments and darker topics, and remain well written and most importantly fun.

Exactly. Why they can't see that formula working on TV and think it might make sense to apply both the formula and their well-established TV characters to the cinematic side?

Almost 2000 audience reviews and it is at 79%. I read many and most of them can't believe what the critics are saying. So why don't audience reviews count? I would much rather believe the audience than critics that may or may not have their own agenda. I realize audience reviews can be doctored to a degree but I believe the majority are just giving their real opinion. I'm going tomorrow so I'll see for myself. I'm certainly not going to wait for dvd release just because a few hundred critics reviews.

Because pre-release the vast majority of "fans" who are able to watch it are diehards who are prone to not be negative about it (for many reasons). I'd actually consider 79% low considering the pool. And that's not just this movie, but any release.

Even with Deadpool which was getting crazy good buzz from the pre-release fan screenings, even tho while that proved true, you usually ignore them because of the nature of who most of those people are.