• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Almost 2000 audience reviews and it is at 79%. I read many and most of them can't believe what the critics are saying. So why don't audience reviews count? I would much rather believe the audience than critics that may or may not have their own agenda. I realize audience reviews can be doctored to a degree but I believe the majority are just giving their real opinion. I'm going tomorrow so I'll see for myself. I'm certainly not going to wait for dvd release just because a few hundred critics reviews.

Because pre-release the vast majority of "fans" who are able to watch it are diehards who are prone to not be negative about it (for many reasons). I'd actually consider 79% low considering the pool. And that's not just this movie, but any release.

Even with Deadpool which was getting crazy good buzz from the pre-release fan screenings, even tho while that proved true, you usually ignore them because of the nature of who most of those people are.

Well I'm a "fan" as well so it looks like I have a good chance of liking it then.

Almost 2000 audience reviews and it is at 79%. I read many and most of them can't believe what the critics are saying. So why don't audience reviews count? I would much rather believe the audience than critics that may or may not have their own agenda. I realize audience reviews can be doctored to a degree but I believe the majority are just giving their real opinion. I'm going tomorrow so I'll see for myself. I'm certainly not going to wait for dvd release just because a few hundred critics reviews.

Because pre-release the vast majority of "fans" who are able to watch it are diehards who are prone to not be negative about it (for many reasons). I'd actually consider 79% low considering the pool. And that's not just this movie, but any release.

Even with Deadpool which was getting crazy good buzz from the pre-release fan screenings, even tho while that proved true, you usually ignore them because of the nature of who most of those people are.

Well I'm a "fan" as well so it looks like I have a good chance of liking it then.

No what I mean, and I'd assume all of us in this thread are fans or we wouldn't be talking about it, with those fans they tend to be the ultra diehards who are happy to be there and who have sites dedicated to characters, or social media handles of characters with huge followings, or go through extensive means to get tickets (events etc) who often would like to get reinvited to studio events but don't really have legit corporation behind them to have real opinions that a traditional source would (like a major site or paper etc). These are the fans who would pay to see the IMAX trailer - which is a next level of fan from normal people or even fans.

They are there specifically to boost/manipulate that score, and look, everyone does that, so not knocking this movie. It is low though for a major release pre-release film.

The fan number has also been dropping steadily over the last few days also. It was around 85% two days ago. The fan number is also far more variable as who is posting. Most online general public reviews are heavily tilted to people that loved it and to people that hated it, while the majority middle ground will not care enough to post.

There is a sizable fan base that want desperately for this movie to be good and successful. Those people are attempting to stuff the ballot box, and would be unlikely to admit it if the movie was bad regardless. They are not capable of being subjective. I am not capable of being subjective because I have not seen the damn movie. I also doubt how many of those 2000 fan reviews are legitimate reviews vs people posting their predetermined opinion, because the movie is not out yet. The only people we can be sure have seen the film at this point are the critics, for better or worse.

BTW it is now 32% critics and 78% fans.

Edited by drotto

David Ayer will never do anything better than Training Day.

Sure, it was Fuqua who directed it but full credit goes to Ayer as writer.

While I don't think Denzel should have won Best Actor for it (1. he overacted to absurdity during the "King Kong ain't nothing on me" finale; 2. Ethan Hawke had the more difficult & nuanced acting job and 3. Russell Crowe deserved it more for A Beautiful Mind) that film was brilliant & still holds up.

Also, don't forget that DC tried light & fun with Green Lantern -- look how that turned out.

Speaking of Green Lantern, Batman v Superman isn't far from its Rotten Tomatoes score. hm

Also, don't forget that DC tried light & fun with Green Lantern -- look how that turned out.

There was also really bad CGI in GL, it was blurry and weird. That massive poop-monster at the end was even more confusing. They should have saved him for the Justice League; he works best using his ring for deus ex machina saves complimented with a catchy and hilarious comment - or jab at the Flash :grin:

I haven't seen the movie yet but I don't understand how it can have a worse RT rating then that snooze-fest Superman Returns.

I generally enjoyed that film. Critics agreed...it has 76% Rotten Tomatoes overall score and 7/10 Rotten Tomatoes quality score. Certainly the scenes where Superman uses his powers were fantastic...love the space shuttle rescue sequence in particular, I can rewatch that over and over.

Yeap, GL was a disaster. So fine retool and learn from that, I would not expect this movie to be a comedy. Critics are just pointing out there seems to be nothing to act as even a little bit of a counterbalance, life needs a little humor. Also, most critics are pointing out that they pulled the fun out as well as the humor.

When I go to a movie, I go in with a certain list of expectations, which changes based on the type of film. I would not go into Schindler's List expecting to have fun. I go in expecting to find a well crafted, emotional, intellectually stimulating film. When I go into a Superhero film I expect good characters, an interesting film, but ultimately the movie to be escapist fun. So my expectations are clearly different. It is great to try and brake free of expectations at times, but to do that generally requires an exceptional film, for instance The Dark Knight Rises. It requires a special type of writer, director, and creative group to make that work.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I don't understand how it can have a worse RT rating then that snooze-fest Superman Returns.

I generally enjoyed that film. Critics agreed...it has 76% Rotten Tomatoes overall score and 7/10 Rotten Tomatoes quality score. Certainly the scenes where Superman uses his powers were fantastic...love the space shuttle rescue sequence in particular, I can rewatch that over and over.

I really don't care what the critics say though.

Other then the space shuttle sequence there was nothing else in the film of interest.

Routh played an awkward stalker Superman, tried too hard to be Christopher Reeves and failed. The whole film was miscast, there were "nice" moments that were stitched together by a weak/boring story where the big battle at the end is Superman Vs a Giant Rock.

When I go to a movie, I go in with a certain list of expectations, which changes based on the type of film. I would not go into Schindler's List expecting to have fun. I go in expecting to find a well crafted, emotional, intellectually stimulating film. When I go into a Superhero film I expect good characters, an interesting film, but ultimately the movie to be escapist fun. So my expectations are clearly different. It is great to try and brake free of expectations at times, but to do that generally requires an exceptional film, for instance The Dark Knight Rises. It requires a special type of writer, director, and creative group to make that work.

Such as a Nolan. Or almost anyone Kevin Feige hires. :baiting:

Snyder, Cavill and Adams Respond To Batman V Superman Criticism

"Those two Uriel fellows on Rotten Tomatoes can kiss my Batman underoos-covered butt," noted Zack Snyder politely.

:jokealert:

“The interesting thing is that we get the critics who have their personal opinions,” Henry Cavill tells Yahoo!, “And the thing about personal opinions is that they always come from a place. And there’s a preconceived idea which you have to get past a critic before you start writing your article or your review, and that affects everything.”

“What is really going to matter, I believe, is what the audience says,” the Superman actor goes on, “Because they’re the ones who are buying tickets, they’re the ones who want to see more of this kind of story or not and so the audience’s voice is loudest and after this weekend the audience, at least partly, will have spoken.”

“I know that Zack [snyder] doesn’t make the movies - or none of us - are making the movies for the critics,” Adams says. “You can’t go into it with that perspective. I know we really hope the fans like it and so far the reaction has been really positive on that front.”

Dawn of Justice's director, Zack Snyder, also weighed in on the issue.

"I'm a comic book guy and I made the movie as much as I can on that aesthetic," he says.

Well -- even the Nolan films had a sense of humor.

For instance, we saw Bruce Wayne clearly enjoying being Bruce Wayne (i.e., cavorting with the supermodels in Batman Begins, buying the hotel on the spot to appease them); acting the drunk & stupid playboy in The Dark Knight to clear all the VIPs from his charity party, etc.)

And the most fun Easter Egg for me was Debo (from Friday)'s cameo in The Dark Knight during the barge explosion blackmail scene.

Ditto in Tim Burton's first film when Wayne invites Vicki Vale over, they're at the absurdly long table for dinner and he jokes "I actually haven't been in this room before."

Batman's a vigilante psychopath but he also knows how to put on the Bruce Wayne mask and enjoy the levity that comes with that billionaire playboy persona.

So I'll be mad disappointed if we don't see some levity amongst the reported super-serious angst in this film.

I've actually heard almost universal praise for Batman in this movie, and that's not hard for me to believe and I remember taking friendly ribbing when Affleck was cast and I thought it was an interesting choice.

If I wanted humour in a movie I would go and see a comedy.

lol

Come now. That third trailer showed a Batman I would want to see more than once in a movie. Seasoned, tired from fighting the battle, and dangerous because he realizes taking you out quickly means less work for him.

If I wanted humour in a movie I would go and see a comedy.

I think there's a perfect balance to be struck - much like there's suspense, drama and romance in movies that don't necessarily fall in that category. :foryou: But if the filmmakers chose to emulate Deadpool and GOTG in almost any way, they up.