• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Taking my son to go see it tonight, I will give an opinion later, but I am optimistic.

Love to hear how your son feels about it, a lot of people are saying it will bore kids for a good portion of the movie. My niece wants to go just for Cavil tho.

Just got back. My son really enjoyed it, I enjoyed it as well. There are some parts that didnt work as well as I would have liked and I did find the music score to be dissonant at times and a bit overly intrusive. An earlier comment that this Batman was the Punisher and I think that is a fair description. This Batman is brutal...and I liked it. The comments about Wonder Woman stealing the show, I think so, it was just a joy to watch her in action. Her screen time as Diana Prince worked equally as well in my opinion. I can chime in with more after we are past spoiler season.

I would absolutely recommend it if you are on the fence. Its a real comic book movie.

Wonder Woman was, by far, my favorite part.

Just got back.

Really liked it. I avoided all the trailers beforehand so I didn't have the spoiler problem and really like it a lot. Wonder Woman was a boss. I liked the Luthor was a character being developed not finished with in a single film. Batfleck was very good actually and I was a skeptic of that. It's not a perfect movie - but I thought they fit a TON of story in it as well as a bunch of easter eggs. Great contained story as well as setup for Justice League.

It's not my all time favorite comic movie, but I thought it was very good. I'll see it again.

The audience was actually clapping at the end which was surprising to me

the audience I was with clapped as well at the end, can't remember the last time that happened, uh, Gladiator maybe? I dunno.

This happened to me for the first Amazing Spider-Man movie.

But again, I guess it's all relative. You may enjoy the visuals, the effects, etc. or enjoy the storytelling. Personally, I feel that a lot of casual movie goers enjoy the imagery. Hence why movies say like the Fast and the Furious for example do well at the box office. I love the Fast and Furious movies but I'll be the first to say the story sucks and there's no substance in them

Edited by Lucid Enigma

I picked my kids up from a trip to the theater with their grandma tonight, and I saw lines of people for BvS. Scores of people leaving the theater talking about what a great time they had seeing it. I'll see it early next week.

For those who have seen it, spoiler-free thoughts on Lex Luthor?

I picked my kids up from a trip to the theater with their grandma tonight, and I saw lines of people for BvS. Scores of people leaving the theater talking about what a great time they had seeing it. I'll see it early next week.

For those who have seen it, spoiler-free thoughts on Lex Luthor?

I liked lex but I'm not sure he fit the rest of the movie. His motivations and actions seemed ....puzzlilng

But I enjoyed the eisenberg

He, Wonder Woman and batmans new fighting style was the best parts of the movie.

Overall, better than the last one, about a touch better than the Norton hulk

I don't go to the movies often, but I'd say that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is one of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while. It was a pretty painful viewing experience. I did not see the most recent Fantastic Four movie, but I imagine that it's something like Batman v Superman.

The movie tried so hard to be incredibly dramatic and tear jerking, but fell completely flat. It was embarassing. It seemed like it was trying so hard but nobody in the audience was buying it. The movie insisted upon its own importance scene after scene, trying to up the drama further and further with grossly overused slow-motion, copious amounts of blueish-grey filters, Jim Lee poses and furrowed brows. This movie did not tell a story to let the viewer become naturally invested in the characters. It was a hard drama sell from start to finish. There was barely a story told. The characters had no personality of their own. In fact, apart from Lex Luthor, they all had the same personality which was: serious. And the Lex Luthor exception seemed like a shameless copy of Heath Ledger's version of the Joker. I loved that version of the Joker, but unfortunately this Lex Luthor was horribly annoying and overacted, in my eyes.

The fight scenes were nothing special at all, whether martial arts with Batman fighting the Russians or the superpowered dual between Batman and Superman. It was all pretty poor, in my opinion. The fighting scenes of the Marvel films and Daredevil put these to shame.

The fight against Doomsday was as generic and formulaic Hollywood as it gets. Emanating electricity, Superman's laser eyes against Doomsday's laser whatevers, getting punched into buildings etc. Talk about cookie cutter. Doomsday himself was such a generic monster too; basically he was a cave troll from Lord of the Rings.

I could go on, but won't. I give this movie a 3 out of 10.

I too just got back from the movie.

I liked Man of Steel and still have positive thoughts about that movie. If you go back in this thread you will find comments where I have a wait and see approach and also high hopes for this movie. I want the last three hours of my life back. If you have already seen Deadpool and are now going to see Batman v Superman, do yourself a favor and see Deadpool again.

I am not going to spoil anything that has not been featured in any commercials for this movie.

I thought that Affleck made an above average Bruce Wayne and Batman. There is a gravity there of a Batman affected by loss be it the fight in Metropolis or in Bruce Wayne's life. Cavill is an excellent Superman and as stated, Wonder Woman steals the show.

Things I cringed at. The desert dream sequence was unnecessary and further muddled the plot. They over-explain things that the audience already understands and do not explain things that the audiences needs to have explained. King of Rulers beat me to it, but Eisenberg is doing a rather poor imitation of Ledger's Joker. There are a few scenes that you will do a double take as if they were directly ripped off.

Speaking of ripped off. I am wondering how long it will take before Marvel sends the lawyers to DC for lifting their movie design of the Abomination.

At the end of the showing the audience basically shrugged and left. There was no clapping. There was no anything. There seemed to be a sense of relief that this movie was finally over, we had served our time, and we were now free.

2 Stars out of 5 for the comic fan

1 1/2 stars out of 5 for the casual fan

Civil War cannot come quick enough

Got Back... worth watching if just for the battles, IMO. Way better than FF.

about 3-3.5/5...Our audience clapped. I could see younger boys loving the battles.

Maybe girls too with WW. As noted in prior threads-- she was the highlight of the show.

Lex was pretty terrible IMO (annoying, implausible, and uninteresting).

Good and Bad below.

Good.

Wonder Woman! Everyone clapped in her battle scenes.

2 main battles. Batman vs. Superman surprsingly good-- it's a comic lovers dream meet.

Ben Affleck was ok... could have been anyone, nothing great, maybe just bad writing.

Was kind of cool to see Batman's research on metahumans.

"They already heard the bells ringing way out in the stars... Ding Dong.. He's coming for you."--(Lex on Darksied)...

Ok, the bad.

Terrible plot holes everywhere.

Lex unlikable and uninteresting.

Too much filler junk first half.

Batman reminded me of Cap as the weakest link against Doomsday... all he could do is distract it by running.

Aquaman looked like a joke underwater.. no real effects here at all.

Cyborg ok.

Flash.. wtf.

Ok let's start with the wtf and plot holes.

Batman calling DAD! are you there? In the building. wtf? did he say dad?

was that an alternate reality? Esp. When they showed his parents dying for the umpteeth time.

Wtf about the whole omega/darkseid bit. Wtf was that?

Was it a dream a preminition? If it was the future, why did Superman still hate batman?

Lois is the key.. .was that flash .. with a... mustache? wtf.

I'd guess 90% of viewers had no idea what any of that was about.. only fans of the material.. even then it was very disjointed and unclear.

So superman can hear lois scream or cry underwater from who knows how many miles away and be there in a second... but he can't hear his own mom being abducted? say what?

Superman would just run away from Lex and fight batman to rescue his mom? Hellllo..

time to take lex to the mars torture station ASAP. I couldn't help thinking, if superman just spit on him.. he'd be dead.

Batman and Superman were instant friends after martha?

Say what?

Lex could just get full access to the kryptonian ship with no sentry protecting it as it

did Lois... WTF? Here is all our research for you whoever you are.

Doomsday looked a little cheesy.. kind of like an older gen CGI abomination.

(yup just saw buzzetta comments above-- HAHA kingofRulers comment on Lord of the Rings cave troll -- even better).

Why would they bury superman when they should have already noted the sun could restore him from death? Have someone send him to space.. batman!

It was great to see on the big screen with beautiful colors and filming, but they could have done a lot better on the plotlines, IMO.

3.5/5 but maybe worse for non comic fans. I could see a lot of boys loving the clash of sup and bat. Nice to see Nolan listed as a producer, but man too bad he didn't drive it along with Bale reprising his role.

BTW a lot of us sat through the horredously long credits to get nothing. :cry:

Don't waste your time.

Hmm...you mean you can't just take shots of rain, lightning and people in tights punching each other, run it through ten different Instagram filters, and make a billion dollars? You need plot, story and character development? Some people are actually starting to catch on to Zack Snyder?

Based on reviews I've read (here and other places), it appears we have to sit thru yet another effing Batman origin scene? Groan. Everyone knows it!!!! Everyone!!!

I felt the same way watching MOS (although I thought it was cool to see Krypton a bit) and the Spidey reboot.

How many more times do we need to see the origin(s) of any of those characters?

I was so looking forward to this above everything else, hmmm. Well I just got back from watching this and have to say for me it was mediocre!

SPOILERS BELOW

Things I liked

Ben Affleck was pretty decent as Batman.

Wonder Woman was the best thing in it!

Things I did not like

Jesse Eisenberg: it's like having a little teenage boy for Lex Luther, for me, he should be a mature, strong man who has a presence, menace about him, just really bad casting in my opinion, he is a good actor, but this role is not for him IMO.

Thought it was very boring to start, did not like the quick flipping back and fourth from scene to scene.

Doomsday looked like a cave troll from lord of the rings, don't know why, but they can't get these monsters characters right in these comic films (Abomination, Lizard, Doomsday).

Did not like the way Doomsdays powers were different, the nuclear explosion of him hitting the ground, flying.

Why's it called Batman v Superman, they fight for 5mins and then team up, lol.

I thought the story was very weak, lacklustre, who wrote this, surely not Nolan?

Loved Watchmen, but they had the blueprint for that, getting a bit tired of Zack Snyder now ;-( which is shame as I used to really like him.

Hate the Zod becoming Doomsday, what is the point of that? Could have just been an embryo on the spaceship.

Why is Lex Luthor acting like a crazed Joker? Why would he make Doomsday, LMFAO, and why would he call Darkseid? He wants the planet for himself, without the likes of Superman, Doomsday, Darkseid? More bad character development, writing.

LET DOWN BIG TIME ;-(

I too just got back from the movie.

I liked Man of Steel and still have positive thoughts about that movie. If you go back in this thread you will find comments where I have a wait and see approach and also high hopes for this movie. I want the last three hours of my life back. If you have already seen Deadpool and are now going to see Batman v Superman, do yourself a favor and see Deadpool again.

I am not going to spoil anything that has not been featured in any commercials for this movie.

I thought that Affleck made an above average Bruce Wayne and Batman. There is a gravity there of a Batman affected by loss be it the fight in Metropolis or in Bruce Wayne's life. Cavill is an excellent Superman and as stated, Wonder Woman steals the show.

Things I cringed at. The desert dream sequence was unnecessary and further muddled the plot. They over-explain things that the audience already understands and do not explain things that the audiences needs to have explained. King of Rulers beat me to it, but Eisenberg is doing a rather poor imitation of Ledger's Joker. There are a few scenes that you will do a double take as if they were directly ripped off.

Speaking of ripped off. I am wondering how long it will take before Marvel sends the lawyers to DC for lifting their movie design of the Abomination.

At the end of the showing the audience basically shrugged and left. There was no clapping. There was no anything. There seemed to be a sense of relief that this movie was finally over, we had served our time, and we were now free.

2 Stars out of 5 for the comic fan

1 1/2 stars out of 5 for the casual fan

Civil War cannot come quick enough

That's how I felt after Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3 and the last two Hunger Games.

Rotten Tomatoes and Batman through the years...

Batman '66 80% (30 reviews)

Batman '89 72%

Batman Returns 80%

Batman Forever 41%

Batman & Robin 11%

Batman Begins 85%

The Dark Knight 94% (341 reviews)

Dark Knight Rises 87%

B v S 30% (so far at 194 reviews)

It looks like the new Batman might reside as the second worst interpretation amongst critics.

It doesn't mean you won't like it.

I really didn't care for Batman '66, I find Batman Forever unwatchable now and although I liked Dark Knight Rises, I did find it overrated.