• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Why do BA & ZS think Miller's angry take on superheroes from the 80's is relevant to today's audience? Passe, depressed, angsty Gen-Xers.

Not a fan then, TC? I enjoyed it :) We've been long overdue for the film version of a Batman/Superman punch up. Aren't they doing something similar over in that other camp...?

I'm waiting for the R-rated Director's Cut Blu-Ray.

Judging from Nick's review, it should then be a 10 / 10 super-hero film.

That's good enough for me.

Why do BA & ZS think Miller's angry take on superheroes from the 80's is relevant to today's audience? Passe, depressed, angsty Gen-Xers.

Not a fan then, TC? I enjoyed it :) We've been long overdue for the film version of a Batman/Superman punch up. Aren't they doing something similar over in that other camp...?

This is the right question to ask. I've got an ideological holier than thou position ready to go.

Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice Ultimate Edition To Be Released July 16th

According to Amazon, the release date of Dawn of Justice's blu-ray sets is set for July 16, 2016, about four months after its theatrical release. It is already available for pre-order.

The home theater release will include 30 minutes of extra scenes from the already 2 hour and 41 minute film and be an R-rated cut as opposed to the theatrical PG-13.

Batman v Superman: DOJ (Superman Figurine) Ultimate Edition Blu-ray - $129.99

There is just the movie.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition Blu-ray - $35.99

What it does is indulge in & exploit a certain angry perspective.

But didn't the ending show Bruce Wayne's outlook on the world and life change due to the events of the movie?

When he is talking with Diana in the end, she is still talking about all her negative experiences with men over 100 years. Bruce Wayne tells her Clark taught him life was precious and worth defending due to his sacrifice. Even that he had let Clark down by the way he treated him for being an alien.

You may have missed that part of the story, and the discussion between Bruce and Diana. That in the end told me Justice League is going to be a different atmosphere.

The more I think about it, the mood of the story did change in the end based on what occurred. Other than the 'event' that brings everyone together, which the film had to close out on to move forward.

But when you see that dirt rising off the box after everyone walks away...I'd say that is a positive as well.

'You owe this planet nothing, Clark.'

How wonderful.

This line stuck out like a sore thumb for me. Perhaps this is why Superman looked genuinely inconvenienced when it came to saving people.

No, that was probably all the hatred he received just for saving the planet... ;)

Can someone on here provide a spoiler-free review about the movie?

Tell it like it is. Preferably, not from one of those types that things every CGI and comic book movie can do no wrong.

So like someone that disliked Amazing Spider-Man 2, did not care for The Incredible Hulk (Marvel Studios), and felt Captain America: The First Avenger was an okay movie - but not so great as others make it out to be? Or the Green Lantern movie was a massive missed opportunity to expand upon the great work Nolan had delivered with the first two Batman movies in his trilogy?

:baiting:

A certain dream cameo has leaked online that was an interesting scene from the film.

Barry Allen!

:whee:

I didn't understand the intent completely until I looked it up online.

A spoiler within a spoiler? :o

It then cuts back to Bruce in the Batcave where he dozed off, now with some sort of time portal in front of him that has a cameo by The Flash, played by Ezra Miller, complete in his tech looking costume. He warns Bruce by saying “You were right about him. You’ve always been right about him.” He then warns that Lois Lane is the key, as it sounds like the death of Lois makes Superman go insane.

Now if you have played Injustice: Gods Among Us, this may sound very familiar, as the plot revolved around a Superman gone rogue after Joker tricks him into killing Lois. After he then kills the Joker in brutal fashion, he essentially becomes a dictator, similar to the Earth-3 Crime Syndicate. In Injustice: Gods Among Us, most of the good guys are dead already, so the good guys from another Earth are brought in to help out, which is something that could be really cool to see done in the movies.

An article from MoviePilot.com that talks through the entire dream sequence well worth reading - ONCE you have seen the movie. It does contain spoilers.

Let's Talk About that Dream Sequence...

Yeah, that's "Injustice" too. This entire scene in the movie is a big shout-out to the Injustice story line, which proves to be a major catalyst that pushes Batman to go and fight Superman: he can't let Superman get out of control. That's why he's so eager to remind Batman to keep a close watch on Lois: if anything happens to Lois, Superman will turn into their worst nightmare. She seems to be the one person who could push Superman over the edge (her and, as we saw in the movie, quite possibly his mother).

let-s-talk-about-that-dream-sequence-the-flash-from-injustice-906792.jpg

Perplexed why people seem to think a fix is in by critics or other viewers. You may just like a bad movie, a lot of people do or what you like might be something different than what others like. Or many people may just not like this obvious cinematic masterpiece.

Regarding fluff Disney pieces, or this idea of fantasy fullfilment, there's nothing overtly more mature about DC's films, they are just more violent and use a literal darker pallette. That's it, they aren't dealing with themes anyone would consider smart or mature, just god wildly_fanciful_statement and typical Batman angst.

If people just like fluff pieces Green Lantern would be loved, but, no, that's a piece of mess .

I think everyone is "grown up" enough to decide if they like a movie or not, whether they are fans, fans who have outlets, or critics who get paid for their opinion.

The idea of grimmer or darker = more mature is the definition of immature and childish.

I do think netflix Marvel does it better though than what I've seen out of Snyder.

I don't think the film was terrible but in the back of my mind if I come out of Civil War with the same feeling I got after walking out of this one, I will be disappointed and that may just speak to personal expectations, Marvel has merited high expectations and thus far Warner Bros/DC has not, the same could be said of their director. They can pass on mediocre, and this movie was better than that due to the few highlights - for me WW, Dreamscape, and Batman and Alfred.

I do think the film succeeds is that I'm going to see a new Batman an Wonder Woman movie, and I will go see Justice League if someone else directs it, though I doubt it will happen. I've seen enough of this guy to know I'm just not feeling his take. I'm interested to see if Suicide Squad will show another side of the DC universe.

At the end of the day though this is going to kill and with Harry Potter returning (something WB does exceptionally well) they have to be feeling good about themselves having both their big money maker and the franchises they wanted to replace it on the slate at the same time.

My tuppenceworth in a nutshell...

Ben Affleck as Batman:

:golfclap:

He did better than I expected. Even though he still wouldn't be my first choice, he did a good job as Batman/Bruce Wayne.

When it finally sinks in that Batman actually used guns, I can blame it on Affleck ;)

As for the movie, a slow & steady build up (like reading a major arc in a modern comic), great fight scenes, great Batman/Superman punch up, great team up for the expected final battle; loved WW, LL not so much (too kooky).

Best bit:

Batman's fight scene in the warehouse.

Not-so-best bit:

The Metahuman "cameos" scene... a little unnecessary IMO.

Random musings about the movie:

There was a great movie in there somewhere. Unfortunately, the director tried to squeeze too much into the movie. It reminded me of that Venom/Sandman none sense.

It felt like a video game at times. What's the motivation for this movie? Let's do it because a fight between Batman and Supes would be cool.

I thought the actors all did a credible job.

WW was a pleasure to look at, but really necessary to drive the plot forward? It always bothers me when they throw in things just to lead to the next storyline. I had the same complaint with Thor in the Infinity Well in AOS.

While I'm still glad I went to see it, MOS was the superior film by a long shot.

Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice Ultimate Edition To Be Released July 16th

According to Amazon, the release date of Dawn of Justice's blu-ray sets is set for July 16, 2016, about four months after its theatrical release. It is already available for pre-order.

The home theater release will include 30 minutes of extra scenes from the already 2 hour and 41 minute film and be an R-rated cut as opposed to the theatrical PG-13.

Batman v Superman: DOJ (Superman Figurine) Ultimate Edition Blu-ray - $129.99

There is just the movie.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition Blu-ray - $35.99

There is no reason to have a Superman or Batman movie rated R. Once again DC proving why Marvel looks down at them.