• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Some reviews I have read said that Batman actually kills and shoots the bad guys? Is that true? have we crossed that line? Can someone that's seen it elaborate on this?

This is a Batman who has lost a Robin or two. He doesn't pull any punches. Think the Batman from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns.

There was a lot of imagery from that comic in this movie.

dang, down to 30 on rt. but the good news: still has a few points on my big fat greek wedding 2 [25%].

Reviews are what they are at this point - this isn't the type of movie critics will like let alone enjoy. If you're a comic fan you'll probably be entertained for a large portion of it but it's still a Zack Snyder movie so go in with that expectation and I think you'll have a good time.

Can you clarify this? Because Critics LOVE (I'd say overly love) the Nolan films and like many of the Marvel films, and Deadpool.

yeah, i didn't get the post either. not a single marvel universe flick has received a rotten [sub-60%] score, even the weaker entries like thor 2, norton's hulk or im 2, and among the many x-men iterations from fox, i think only origins and x-3 have been poorly reviewed. critics have no problem with s/h movies generically, but they do have a problem with bad ones,

They have a problem with dark movies that they WANT to be light.

They can handle dark movies that they want to be dark (which have Dark in the title).

They can handle light movies that are light (which have Marvel in the credits).

They can't handle dark movies that they want to be light.

That is all I can think of on why the critics are so off on this one. I think if Superman wasn't in it, they would have been fine. A dark Superman story is probably something they can't grasp.

I just got back from a packed showing. I went an hour early with friends to make sure we could get decent seats. This gave me a chance to talk with the theater manager, who I had met when Deadpool came out. He let me know the 7:30 was completely sold out (regular and 3-D), and the next show only had 9 seats left in a 200 seat theater.

Where some had an audience that sat in silence at in the end left just as quiet, the folks around me were very engaged in this movie. Which only added to the energy during the action sequences.

- Wonder Woman brought loud applause when she finally showed up in costume. And I loved that theme they played when she appeared.

- Batman definitely brought some yells from the crowd, people were so pleased with Affleck's performance.

When Batman appears hidden on the ceiling in the room with the human trafficker he just tortured, some kids in the audience screamed when he jumped out.

- Eisenberg played a very eccentric and maniacal Luthor with some serious daddy issues.

When he talked about his father beating on him, even then I couldn't feel bad for him. There was something so evil about him, you just felt like one way or another he would have ended up the way he was.

- Doomsday was just all-powerful.

The destruction is massive. Especially when he starts fighting the expanded World's Finest.

- The end result of the fight left the audience quiet as could be. Until a few kids in the audience pretended to cry, and someone told them to cut it out.

Clark's funeral procession and then burial where the music sounded like a heartbeat - and then you saw the dirt on his coffin lifting up...

:whee:

I think I get what Snyder was trying to do, in piecing together everyone's history leading up to that moment where they all had to depend on one another in the end. And I liked it. Sure, it did feel choppy at times. But it felt like the movie 'Crash' from 2004 for heroes, in that you had multiple stories going on that interweave into the final big event. It probably could have been edited a little better to make it smoothly cut from story to story.

Overall score: 8.5/10

So if you, I and many other people enjoyed this movie than why the hate by the critics?

dang, down to 30 on rt. but the good news: still has a few points on my big fat greek wedding 2 [25%].

Reviews are what they are at this point - this isn't the type of movie critics will like let alone enjoy. If you're a comic fan you'll probably be entertained for a large portion of it but it's still a Zack Snyder movie so go in with that expectation and I think you'll have a good time.

Can you clarify this? Because Critics LOVE (I'd say overly love) the Nolan films and like many of the Marvel films, and Deadpool.

yeah, i didn't get the post either. not a single marvel universe flick has received a rotten [sub-60%] score, even the weaker entries like thor 2, norton's hulk or im 2, and among the many x-men iterations from fox, i think only origins and x-3 have been poorly reviewed. critics have no problem with s/h movies generically, but they do have a problem with bad ones,

They have a problem with dark movies that they WANT to be light.

They can handle dark movies that they want to be dark (which have Dark in the title).

They can handle light movies that are light (which have Marvel in the credits).

They can't handle dark movies that they want to be light.

That is all I can think of on why the critics are so off on this one. I think if Superman wasn't in it, they would have been fine. A dark Superman story is probably something they can't grasp.

Superman became too soft and waterdowned over the years do to Lois and Clark and Smallville. Superman became too PC. This new version of Superman is just too much for these PC critics to handle.

ok, just got back from seeing the movie with my 12 yr old son, and I expected the worst from everything I've heard leading up to the release, however, we both loved it, I really can't understand the bad reviews, the only thing I think might warrant them would be the different plot points, characters, DC story history stuff going on. the film is not a linear one, it does tend to shoot off into different directions, but not in a distracting way at all at least I felt.

want to see it again before the theatrical run is over.

for comparison sake, I really didn't care for "Man of Steel" movie, but feel this one is a major step up.

I think people have a preconceived notion of what a superhero should be after the fluff pieces Marvel has released. This was definitely not that type of movie. There is room for both IMHO.

It was very intense and dark,while Marvel movies have become let`s save the world and tell a few jokes on the way while doing it.

I just got back from a packed showing. I went an hour early with friends to make sure we could get decent seats. This gave me a chance to talk with the theater manager, who I had met when Deadpool came out. He let me know the 7:30 was completely sold out (regular and 3-D), and the next show only had 9 seats left in a 200 seat theater.

Where some had an audience that sat in silence at in the end left just as quiet, the folks around me were very engaged in this movie. Which only added to the energy during the action sequences.

- Wonder Woman brought loud applause when she finally showed up in costume. And I loved that theme they played when she appeared.

- Batman definitely brought some yells from the crowd, people were so pleased with Affleck's performance.

When Batman appears hidden on the ceiling in the room with the human trafficker he just tortured, some kids in the audience screamed when he jumped out.

- Eisenberg played a very eccentric and maniacal Luthor with some serious daddy issues.

When he talked about his father beating on him, even then I couldn't feel bad for him. There was something so evil about him, you just felt like one way or another he would have ended up the way he was.

The destruction is massive. Especially when he starts fighting the expanded World's Finest.

- The end result of the fight left the audience quiet as could be. Until a few kids in the audience pretended to cry, and someone told them to cut it out.

Clark's funeral procession and then burial where the music sounded like a heartbeat - and then you saw the dirt on his coffin lifting up...

I think I get what Snyder was trying to do, in piecing together everyone's history leading up to that moment where they all had to depend on one another in the end. And I liked it. Sure, it did feel choppy at times. But it felt like the movie 'Crash' from 2004 for heroes, in that you had multiple stories going on that interweave into the final big event. It probably could have been edited a little better to make it smoothly cut from story to story.

So if you, I and many other people enjoyed this movie than why the hate by the critics?

I think there is some of that preconceived dislike for Zack Snyder's approach, mixed with the approach used in this movie like 'Crash' to tell multiple stories at the same time. Done well, in the end you feel like you watched more than one movie at the same time. Done poorly, the audience leaves wondering if the director cut too many scenes out because a movie can feel disjointed.

There were a few scenes where it felt like we jumped to a story with little transition. I wonder if The Ultimate Edition with its 30 minutes of extra footage will address this? I got it after the first few vignettes what he was doing - rather than the Marvel approach using multiple standalone movies to introduce a CU, use this movie to pull the DCU together and develop it over time.

I would go back again to watch this movie.

KGBeast was interesting, and I liked that they didn't go with the leather-clad version from Batman #417-420.

Lex Luthor using him as a high-powered henchman to carry out his plans was really a nice edition to the story. When he attempted to kill Martha Kent with a flamethrower, I knew things were not going to end well for him.

:ohnoez:

Bosco, we do appreciate you keeping us updated on all the movie/Tv stuff. Many thanks.

:foryou:

:shy:

8.5/10? Really?

My grade on this book is F-

Why do BA & ZS think Miller's angry take on superheroes from the 80's is relevant to today's audience? Passe, depressed, angsty Gen-Xers.

Bosco, we do appreciate you keeping us updated on all the movie/Tv stuff. Many thanks.

:foryou:

:shy:

8.5/10? Really?

My grade on this book is F-

:blush:

I forgot to conform.

:rulez:

F--------

Let's get the pitchforks and torches!

:baiting:

Why do BA & ZS think Miller's angry take on superheroes from the 80's is relevant to today's audience? Passe, depressed, angsty Gen-Xers.

Real life is not a Disney movie. Eventually that Disney audience will grow up and reject the fantasy that was sold to them.

Snyder and company might be ahead of the curve when we look back on it.

Real life is not a Disney movie. Eventually that Disney audience will grow up and reject the fantasy that was sold to them.

Snyder and company might be ahead of the curve when we look back on it.

Growing up?

Miller's novelty was fascist heroes who aren't gods but would-be aspirants to divinity due to their will to power.

This cynicism doesn't automatically equate to maturity or sophisticated adult content.

What it does is indulge in & exploit a certain angry perspective.

But didn't the ending show Bruce Wayne's outlook on the world and life change due to the events of the movie?

When he is talking with Diana in the end, she is still talking about all her negative experiences with men over 100 years. Bruce Wayne tells her Clark taught him life was precious and worth defending due to his sacrifice. Even that he had let Clark down by the way he treated him for being an alien.

You may have missed that part of the story, and the discussion between Bruce and Diana. That in the end told me Justice League is going to be a different atmosphere.

"Professional critics" love the bandwagon.