• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 298 Variant with DC Reader Survey
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Attached are some photos of a variant of Batman 298 that contains the DC reader survey. Up until recently, none of the die-hard variant collectors that I know were aware of the existence of a survey variant for Batman 298.

So just what issues of DC comics contain this particular variant? I personally believe the 1978 DC survey variant was contained in each title that was released from Dec 26, 1977 thru Jan 16, 1978. If you look at those issues using Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics time machine (by release date), you will see that quite a few of the issues released between those dates have already been spotted with the survey variant (e.g, Action 481, Adventure 456, Detective 476, Batman 298, Jonah Hex 11, Justice League 153, Weird War Tales 62, Firestorm 2, Flash 260, Super Friends 11, Superman 322, Aquaman 61, and Black Lightning 8). I have in my possession Justice League of America 153, Action 481, Batman 298, Superman 322, and Detective 476 survey variants.

I plan on listing this Batman 298 survey variant on ebay this week to raise some cash for some other variants I recently bought. If you have any interest in buying this Batman 298 variant and want me to notify you when it is listed, please send me a PM. Knowing my luck, I will probably won’t even get 20 bucks for it, but that will be my minimum starting price!

Regards,

Kirk

bm298frnt_zps11501abf.jpg

bm298pg1cf_zps808f88ee.jpg

bm298cf_zps70cb5590.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Additional possible candidates for survey forms include:

Claw 10

Firestorm 2

House of Secrets 151

New Gods 17

and (as noted by others)

Superman 322.

All of these came out the same week as Flash 260,

Jonah Hex 11 and others listed above.

Dratted variants

Edited by jerome34

Just how “rare” are these supposed to be? Unlike Mark Jewelers inserts, these are thin and you can’t tell if there’s an insert by feel. And you can’t tell from the top, side, or bottom. Basically, you need to look in the comic to find it. Who knows how many are out there undiscovered?

I wonder how were they distributed, were they limited to specific markets or were a small percentage widely distributed. FWIW, the five that I have were bought in a comic shop back in the day.

dcq1_zps0ba3f7b8.jpg

dcq2_zpsaf6231ee.jpg

Just how “rare” are these supposed to be? Unlike Mark Jewelers inserts, these are thin and you can’t tell if there’s an insert by feel. And you can’t tell from the top, side, or bottom. Basically, you need to look in the comic to find it. Who knows how many are out there undiscovered?

FWIW, the five that I have were bought in a comic shop back in the day. I wonder how the surveys were distributed, were they limited to specific markets or were a small percentage widely distributed.

dcq1_zps0ba3f7b8.jpg

dcq2_zpsaf6231ee.jpg

Just how “rare” are these surveys supposed to be? Unlike Mark Jewelers inserts, these are thin and you can’t tell if there’s an insert by feel. And you can’t tell from the top, side, or bottom. Basically, you need to look in the comic to find it. Who knows how many are out there undiscovered?

I wonder how the surveys were distributed, were they limited to specific markets or were a small percentage widely distributed? FWIW, the five that I have were bought in a comic shop back in the day.

dcq1_zps0ba3f7b8.jpg

dcq2_zpsaf6231ee.jpg

Oops! Sorry for the duplicate posts.

Edited by jaeldubyoo