• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does CGC get updates on sets? Honor system?

7 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has a logical answer but I simply can't find it.

1) If a Registry Set owner sells his comic, how does CGC know it unless the owner contacts them?

IOW, an owner of a Best in Set type could sell all of his issues but not notify CGC. He could retain that title for a very long time and not actually have the best set.

2) What is the actual date that CGC uses to take a snapshot of Best Sets for the year? Someone could be a winner for an entire year but actually own the comics for one day.

Honor system or the individual who buys them happens to also compete for Best in Set and puts the number in for transfer. If the individual who buys them doesn't compete in the Best in Set, 9 times out of 10 there is no update to the Best in Set and that individual will reign supreme until you or another eventually comes along and knocks them off there pedestal.

As for the date in changes yearly but usually coincides with a Friday in the month of I think June. After that it usually takes about a month before scores are tallied and they pick the winners for some of the more specific categories.

As for your last part... yep as long as you make it under the allotted time and hit cut off you could simply purge your Set the very next day.

I was number 1 for 7 years straight. Another was higher for a few months, and now I know that he sold most of his set. Based on what you indicated, now I gotta hope he updates CGC I guess. Otherwise, I am hosed. Not that it is the end of the world or anything......but still. lol.

Yep, happened to me also. I was #1 in a set and somebody passed me up. However, he didn't hold onto his books for long, sold most in auction. He didn't remove the items from his registry and got the award. I proactively alerted CGC and even pointed them to the sales. All to no avail. I guess it's like they say, don't sweat the small stuff.

One can always create a dummy account, register the books in question ( "owner" receives an email indicating transfer request and may or may not decide to let it slide, has 1 week (IIRC) to do so and usually will do nothing thereby allowing transfer )

If the transfer is successful, delete the dummy account and the unregistered books are once again available for any new owner looking to register them.

:gossip: I did that on a guy who I knew for a fact had sold his 9.9 SA Marvels but "forgot" to remove the books from his set.

Unless the guy is a total d-bag, he will assume the "new" guy registering the books is in fact the new owner and allow for the registry transfers.