• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAF comments - compliment the artist not the owner...

75 posts in this topic

I always congratulate the owner for having great taste and or scoring an epic piece of art. However I almost always pontificate poetically about the art or artist in question. Deal with it. Frankly I'm depressed and ashamed we're even having this conversation. This thing of ours, it's how it's done. Time and memorial.

Time immemorial?

Man, for me, CAF is a very recent development. Then again, with more than 20 years of collecting behind me, I guess I'm slower to forget or learn the new ropes. But it sure has made things so different.

I was waxing nostalgic on a different thread a week or so ago about the old days calling strangers phone numbers because they had picture less ads in CBG advertising some piece they were selling. The homework and footwork is a snap now.

I do wonder if some of the culture of art collecting has changed though. Used to be people collected entirely for themselves. I wonder how much of the look at what I've got mentality has been amplified with a venue dedicated to displaying those collections. I sure don't remember so much of the buy it, own it for a bit and then selling it off cycles that I see a lot of pieces in now. I've admittedly even been a little guilty of it, as I've struggled to edit my collection in recent years.

I love CAF and will float through it for the rush of seeing good original comic art. I rarely post a comment (shame on me) but, when I do, it's positive and you can pretty much expect that I love the art. Clearly, I think the artist's work is terrific.

But my compliment goes toward the collector. Sure, some of the artwork displayed happened to be purchased by the person who had the most money at the time -- or by the person brave enough to make the largest financial commitment when it came time to pull the trigger.

At other times, the collector had to move planets to get the artwork in their hands and, I say, congratulations to them. Collecting the prime piece, the grail, the one-and-only that you've always wanted is often a struggle. A helluva struggle. It deserves a little acknowledgment in my book.

I also am a big fan of CAF. To be honest, I only got into the original art in the last year and one of the main reasons is because I saw all this great stuff on CAF. I had been mulling over whether or not I wanted to get back into comics and so I started looking into the artists that I enjoyed years ago when I was actively into comics. I came across CAF and saw some incredible originals and that helped convince me to get into the original art.

I post my stuff because I enjoy it and hope that others might also share that joy and/or appreciate it. I like seeing other people's collections and particularly like looking at pieces by artists I like as well as pieces of the characters I like. I suppose if one chooses to put their art in a black hole, that's their call, but I will continue to share.

Beyond the art, it's been a great networking tool as well. It's a great community of people.

Even though your right, but people want their self esteem boosted through the art they bought. The owner is always looking for a pat on the back from others, because it makes them feel good, This is the same as "Hey, check out my new car I bought" If this isn't true, then take your art off the site. Otherwise, why are you showing it off? This is why I don't post my art on CAF.

So the reason you would post your art on CAF is to show off and boost your self esteem, and the idea of sharing art for others to enjoy would not be the primary and singular intention? hm

Not only that, but you project this mindset on everybody else? You sincerely believe everyone's motives must be the same as yours? (shrug)

That's too bad, as I would enjoy seeing some of the art you've collected, regardless of your intentions. :(

Even though your right, but people want their self esteem boosted through the art they bought. The owner is always looking for a pat on the back from others, because it makes them feel good, This is the same as "Hey, check out my new car I bought" If this isn't true, then take your art off the site. Otherwise, why are you showing it off? This is why I don't post my art on CAF.

Do you post your art here? If so, isn't that bascially the same thing? (shrug)

He doesn't collect art. He will tell anyone who will listen that he bought a couple of McFarlane pieces years ago and then sold because of all the aspects of the hobby he finds unappealing.

But am I the only one who regularly searches for pieces by artists I like on the CAF classified results section?

I think Ialso set up for certain key words to shoot me emails when pieces using those words were posted on CAF, but I don't think it works for me.

I never seem to get emailed about anything, and I know art by those artists has popped up on there in the meantime.

Tips? Tools and techniques you find particularly useful?

I search from time to time, but I find CAF's search user experience difficult to follow. That along with endless Coollines posts makes CAF challenging.

Compliment or give positive feedback about the artistic or historical merits of the work. Then you can add another sentence to congratulate the owner for finding the piece.

Or just curse out the owner for getting something that is rightfully yours.

Time immemorial?

Man, for me, CAF is a very recent development. Then again, with more than 20 years of collecting behind me, I guess I'm slower to forget or learn the new ropes. But it sure has made things so different.

I was waxing nostalgic on a different thread a week or so ago about the old days calling strangers phone numbers because they had picture less ads in CBG advertising some piece they were selling. The homework and footwork is a snap now.

I do wonder if some of the culture of art collecting has changed though. Used to be people collected entirely for themselves. I wonder how much of the look at what I've got mentality has been amplified with a venue dedicated to displaying those collections. I sure don't remember so much of the buy it, own it for a bit and then selling it off cycles that I see a lot of pieces in now. I've admittedly even been a little guilty of it, as I've struggled to edit my collection in recent years.

Guess i went to obscure with my mob show quotes? Nobody watched the Sopranos here?

Anyway I know what you mean. Who knows how congratulating the owner started? I know I do it when someone grabs something I wish i could have. Never gave it any thought really and I don't know anyone does. it's just something people do. I would hope it doesn't insult the artist who created the work. It's implied when you congratulate someone that you're doing so because it's such a great piece of art in your eyes. If anything maybe we should engage in conversation about the piece rather than just leaving platitudes. I don't know.

I think in today's world anything that puts great comic book art in front of people is a good thing. Not everyone can make it to conventions and go through traditional channels

I don't think there's anything wrong with complimenting the owner on getting a great sketch or commission. It's actually a normal practice to compliment the owner of something that someone else admires. When you get a new car, your friend will congratulate you on your new car. They don't congratulate Ford to you. If you get new sneakers, they tell you that you have great sneakers. They don't say that Nike's child labor really has great skill. No one's confusing the owner with the actual artist. If you compliment the owner for having the piece, it's obviously because you think the artist did a great job. If the art was posted on the artists's own site, then congratulating the artist directly is definitely the way to go. Artists don't regularly check every person's CAF to see how people comment on their work, so congratulating on the artist on some random person's site is for the most part falling on deaf ears. If you really want the artist to know how much you like some piece, then compliment them directly on their twitter or facebook page. They're much more likely to get the message there.

I don't think there's anything wrong with complimenting the owner on getting a great sketch or commission. It's actually a normal practice to compliment the owner of something that someone else admires. When you get a new car, your friend will congratulate you on your new car. They don't congratulate Ford to you. If you get new sneakers, they tell you that you have great sneakers. They don't say that Nike's child labor really has great skill. No one's confusing the owner with the actual artist. If you compliment the owner for having the piece, it's obviously because you think the artist did a great job. If the art was posted on the artists's own site, then congratulating the artist directly is definitely the way to go. Artists don't regularly check every person's CAF to see how people comment on their work, so congratulating on the artist on some random person's site is for the most part falling on deaf ears. If you really want the artist to know how much you like some piece, then compliment them directly on their twitter or facebook page. They're much more likely to get the message there.

You are far too reasonable and levelheaded to be posting on internet message boards! (tsk):grin: