• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary RED and White comic and toy expo Sept 15 highlights

17 posts in this topic

Attended this weekend's RED and White comicbook convention in Calgary this Sunday. The Red and White is a con that favors the comic book collectors so 80% of the vendors are comic book related and for that reason it is one of my favorite "local" one day shows. Their website is here:

http://www.comicandtoy.ca/

I set up as a vendor with my usual comrades Brian ( 500club ) and Ryan ( Kimik ), we were minus one Dave ( thehumantorch ) who had to take a vacation to Portland.

This show was also the unveiling of our new business name Clobberin' Time Comics. I created the logo art and had a 6 foot banner created. I also had business cards made up for us to hand out. It is great to now have a way of being identified other than "those guys from Edmonton".

I apologize for the lousy photos, my camera must have been set to manual rather than auto focus. :P

001_zps5e71e489.jpg

A picture of our booth setup as best as I could get as it happened after the show opened:

002_zpsb4275817.jpg

I did not take that many pictures of this show. To be honest, there just isn't a lot to take pictures of. The costume / cosplay attendance is very small although they do have a costume contest at this show I doubt there is more than 30 people participating. Here is the highlights of the costumes I saw:

017_zps7db3c050.jpg

029_zps4ed7b9ff.jpg

I honestly thought these ladies were wearing costumes so I got a few pics of them only to find out later they were Miss Calgary attendees. (shrug)

025_zpsfedf2df9.jpg

And a back shot because I had to:

026_zpse122faff.jpg

This guy was cool, walking beat box machine. He had tunes playing as he walked around:

022_zpsf13abedd.jpg

021_zps2851cbc4.jpg

020_zpse8d0dabd.jpg

I quickly walked around and tried to snap some pics of the other dealer walls. Again I apologise for the blurry :P

This strikes me as humorous. I didn't do much shopping but I did look around specifically for Planet Comics. I am trying to complete a 1-73 run and didn't see any Planets at all...until I got home and loaded these pics. lol at me.

038_zpscf162364.jpg

037_zpsc46d41b3.jpg

036_zpsb1321754.jpg

035_zpsbd054059.jpg

This guy had approached me to inquire if I would od any trading at the show so I had a look at what he had to offer. He had several books that interested me but I found the prices to be a bit high. The only book that really grabbed my interest was the Atomic War #1 in cgc 8.0 he had. We didn't get a deal done.

034_zpsef316f32.jpg

033_zpscde80e9e.jpg

This guy always seems to end up being beside us. He has boxes of mid grade books he sells for cheap and a small wall of books.

031_zpsbab3d747.jpg

Booth across from us. Tons of table space filled with trades.

030_zps99109fdf.jpg

These pics are for :baiting: for my friend thehumantorch who proclaims loudly at previous shows that "girls don't buy comics".

042_zps075a762b.jpg

This lady bought 50 bucks worth of Thors:

041_zpsb991423b.jpg

This couple spent some time looking at my new 52 stuff more specifically the 3d covers I had for sale. They bought about 5 books. I then asked who was the collector, they both did but she was the one who wanted the 3d's. Cool conversation about collecting focus.

039_zps1f3921a3.jpg

What sold was mostly 5-20 dollar books. I sold Thors, Xmens, Spideys and surprisingly a lot of my FF's.

Keys that sold for me were ASM 122 7.0, 122 7.0, ASM 300 cgc 9.4, ASM 129 5.5, Hand of Fate 13 cgc 8.5, and the first book I sold was my Marvel Preview 7 mag with Rocket raccoon for 200.00

I had tons of people look at my NM 98 but no takers. I later did a partial trade/ cash deal for my ASM 14 for a kid who traded me his NM 98 maybe a 7.0 would grade higher but has a corner crease bottom right and Tales of Suspense 57 2.0 Plus 200 cash. I put the NM 98 I got in the trade on the table at 100 bucks and had probably 40 people pick it up and offer me 60-80. I am holding firm at 100 and know it will sell for that in the next 2 shows coming up.

I sold several DC 3d covers, the notable ones were Harley Quinns for asking 25.00. I quickly bumped the price on the remaining ones to 30 and they sold also. Joker , Mr Freeze. Others were stagnant and did not sell but this is Calgary where LCS still have several of these books on the walls for cover.

Back in Edmonton the shelves are bare and all stores are sold out so I know the remaining 3D will sell there.

That is it for my very brief summary of this awesome "comics only" show.

Thanks Karl. I see you went to the Piper school of photography.

That's what happens when you have a $700 camera with auto focus set to manual... :tonofbricks:

Thanks Karl. I see you went to the Piper school of photography.

Once I was the student, but now I am the master.

(thumbs u I can't get enough Star Wars references.