• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EDGAR CHURCH ORIGINAL ART

36 posts in this topic

Edgar Church background information. While most of comic fandom recognizes the name Edgar Church as the name of the person who originally assembled the “Mile High” collection of comics, many do not know that he was also an artist. The reason Mr. Church was buying comic books in the first place was to use them as references and to get ideas for his artwork. He began his career working from his own studio as a freelance artist around 1912 and then went on to work for Mountain Bell (the telephone company for the Rocky Mountain region) from 1925-1953. Working in the company’s advertising department, Church was designing and drawing ads that would be used in the first commercial directories (which later became the Yellow Pages). In addition to creating his commercial ads, Church also created impressive paintings, drawings, and comic sketches. Edgar Church bought, stored & owned the now famous Edgar Church/Mile High collection that contained 18,000+ comic books from 1936-1955. He did so to help his art career.

I'll be letting go of a few of the pieces I've been able to acquire. Price includes shipping to the 48 continental states. Check or paypal.

$140 SOLD

Art measures 8" X 13.25"

churchher4_zps1e97ccd7.jpg

Love this thread!

Any advertising including Colorado or Wyoming (ie Yellowstone) as the main subject matter? :wishluck:

Nothing that I can track specific to Colorado, but I do have a few more that are in a Yellowstone type setting.

This is the cover for "IT Magazine" vol #3 #5. It has nicely lettered logo, no stats. It also has a color overlay with editorial notes in the margin by Edgar Church.

Signed & dated Edgar Church, 1929.

9" X 17.25"

$400

church17_zps31d8328e.jpg

church17a_zps96d0cc23.jpg

Edgar Church background information. While most of comic fandom recognizes the name Edgar Church as the name of the person who originally assembled the “Mile High” collection of comics, many do not know that he was also an artist. The reason Mr. Church was buying comic books in the first place was to use them as references and to get ideas for his artwork. He began his career working from his own studio as a freelance artist around 1912 and then went on to work for Mountain Bell (the telephone company for the Rocky Mountain region) from 1925-1953. Working in the company’s advertising department, Church was designing and drawing ads that would be used in the first commercial directories (which later became the Yellow Pages). In addition to creating his commercial ads, Church also created impressive paintings, drawings, and comic sketches. Edgar Church bought, stored & owned the now famous Edgar Church/Mile High collection that contained 18,000+ comic books from 1936-1955. He did so to help his art career.

I'll be letting go of a few of the pieces I've been able to acquire. Price includes shipping to the 48 continental states. Check or paypal.

$140

Art measures 8" X 13.25"

:takeit:

$140

Art measures 8" X 13.25"

:takeit:

^^

Love this thread!

Any advertising including Colorado or Wyoming (ie Yellowstone) as the main subject matter? :wishluck:

Nothing that I can track specific to Colorado, but I do have a few more that are in a Yellowstone type setting.

Cool :)

Really cool stuff, West. :applause:

Thanks! I think these are pretty historic pieces. Not only do these pieces tie into the Mile High comic portion of the collection but they also reflect the medium & advertising of the times.