• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't you love it when you find a box of comics that you forgot you had?

52 posts in this topic

TIL that if you can lose a box of comics, you have too many comics.

:grin:

-slym

I'm always afraid that one day a camera crew from Hoarders will show up at my door.

Though, I haven't yet found a dead cat in any of my comic boxes, so I guess I'm still under control.

I once lost a handful of Valiant variants that I bought at Capital City Comics (Madison, Wisconsin) for four years. Loved when I found it again--included Unity Red, Chaos Effect Gold, Armorines 0 standalone, and Hard Corps 1 Gold.

And this weekend while home in Philly I found a random box that contained a high school yearbook and some Death in the Family issues bought years ago--Batman 426 9.8 (red label) and Batman 429 9.8 (blue label).

Closest I can come is a time when I bought a 1959 set of Topps baseball cards. I bought the set to break and ebay the cards individually. I had pulled about 20 or so that I thought could grade out at 8.0 - 9.0 through PSA and planned to send in. Went out latter one evening and I dont like things laying out in the open so I put the cards in a pocket of a black leather sport coat that was in the closet. A good 2+ years later I had actually put that coat on again and there they were. God only knows how I let them slip off my grid like that and yes its easier to misplace than a box of comics. Does blow the mind about how they could get forgotten more so than the happiness of the find.

Very cool. If only that could happen to me. What grade is the Bats 176?

It's a strong 9.4 with an outside shot at 9.6.

(worship)

The 176 is on its way back from CGC. It's a 9.4 OW-W. I also sent in the Batman 208, which is coming back 9.6 white. :whee:

To me, it has happened with single comics, as – like Lizard – I never sit down and properly compile my checklists or wishlists.

But the most pleasing thing which happened as I restarted collecting Marvel comics a pair of years ago (or less) was to find, because of my improved grading skills, that a good deal of books of a Sub-Mariner #1-40 run I bought twenty years ago quite cheap were in the VFNM to NM+ range.

My first thought was to sell them, but then I realized that I never read them, and this prompted me to do so. In the end, I saw Sub-Mariner is super-cool, and I can’t sell them… :(

I did this with a small list of Copper's I was going to send to CGC around 2005. Incredible Hulk 340, Uncanny X-men 266, X-men 141 and few others. I placed them in an enveloped along with the paperwork and check for payment but never got to the Post office to send them to FL. I poured through my long boxes trying to figure out what I did with them. Fast forward 5 years and I stumble across an envelope with the CGC paperwork inside and a check for the grading and shipped fees and the books.