• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel vs DC collectors

53 posts in this topic

The numbers are not as skewed as I thought they would be.

If you posted this in General the number would be about 25 Marvel to every DC. And the ratio would increase even more if you excluded Batman from DC.

+1

Batman is the one DC character that most Marvel fans like.

Batman is more important to DC, then Spider-Man is to Marvel.

Take away each from their respective companies, and we would find Marvel would still be in fine shape, while DC would be in deep trouble. 2c

If you posted this in General the number would be about 25 Marvel to every DC. And the ratio would increase even more if you excluded Batman from DC.

Why do you say this?

Because it`s true.

Just watch when anyone posts a nice book. A DC, even an awesome DC, will get about 10 posts of oohs and ahs. A Marvel, even a mediocre Marvel, will get about 10 pages of oohs and ahs. And if an awesome Marvel gets posted, there will be a run on kleenex.

that's probably one explanation. there has to be something screwing with the results.

Yeah, the explanation is that this Silver Forum has a relatively high concentration of DC collectors because the General Forum IS the SA and BA Marvel forum. There`s no need for the Marvel collectors to hang out in this niche forum when the biggest forum already focused on what they collect (and their movies).

that's probably one explanation. there has to be something screwing with the results.

Yeah, the explanation is that this Silver Forum has a relatively high concentration of DC collectors because the General Forum IS the SA and BA Marvel forum. There`s no need for the Marvel collectors to hang out in this niche forum when the biggest forum already focused on what they collect (and their movies).

I call wildly_fanciful_statement.

This subforum is no more dc centric than CG.

Well as far as what I own I am about 50/50. However what I have noticed is am am highly interested in DC mega keys but most marvel mega keys I couldn't care less about. For instance I REALLY want a SC 22 and am currently looking for one however something like X-men #1 or Avengers #1 I don't even really want.

+1

Batman is the one DC character that most Marvel fans like.

Batman is more important to DC, then Spider-Man is to Marvel.

Take away each from their respective companies, and we would find Marvel would still be in fine shape, while DC would be in deep trouble. 2c

Take them away now and I pretty much agree with you. (thumbs u

Erase the characters from history, and it's probably a veeeeeeeeery different story, as I'd be willing to bet that without Spider-Man, Marvel would've probably closed shop before the 60s were over. We'd also have a significantly different comics industry in the decades that followed :P

As for what I collect, I'd say it's pretty much equal. Maybe 40% DC and 35% Marvel (with the remaining 25% going to other publishers).

I collect both, though up until 20 years ago my focus was on Marvel. Then I started getting into SA Green Lanterns and some Batmans, and then I started buying a lot of Superman related books because it seemed cool that I could get a nice Jimmy Olsen or Lois Lane from 1964 for a buck...and then it all spiraled out of control.

At the end of the day, while I collect DC, I rarely, if ever read them (other than some Lobo and some old Perez Teen Titans), whereas I have read many of my Marvel books as these were the characters I followed growing up.

There is very little that I don't collect if the price is right.

Erase the characters from history, and it's probably a veeeeeeeeery different story, as I'd be willing to bet that without Spider-Man, Marvel would've probably closed shop before the 60s were over. We'd also have a significantly different comics industry in the decades that followed :P

I'm not so sure about that. Fantastic Four was a big seller, Avengers...etc...but it's true, it would have been a lot harder to surpass DC (which really could never happen until the distribution issue was fixed)...but whose to say that more talent wouldn't have been put on Daredevil, for example, if there was no Spidey?

I never said it was DC centric. What I was saying is that a disproportionate number of DC collectors gravitate here, which is the only reason the ratio even approaches anything close to parity in your poll.

Seriously, run your poll in General. Marvel collectors will dwarf DC collectors by a huge margin.

I never said it was DC centric. What I was saying is that a disproportionate number of DC collectors gravitate here, which is the only reason the ratio even approaches anything close to parity in your poll.

Seriously, run your poll in General. Marvel collectors will dwarf DC collectors by a huge margin.

Is this poll not about DC Silver age vs Marvel Silver age so is your point that more marvel ppls hang out in CG point and moot as the silver age collectors look in the SILVER AGE THREAD?

I collect both. The wackier a DC book is though, the more I want to buy. For example, I have very few Action, Superman, or Detective and the bulk of my DC Silver is Adventure, Lois Lane, Doom Patrol, etc.

For Silver Age, primarily Marvel.

But, I do occasionally get DCs, for example, Adventure Comics (Legion) and early Adams books.

I collect both. The wackier a DC book is though, the more I want to buy. For example, I have very few Action, Superman, or Detective and the bulk of my DC Silver is Adventure, Lois Lane, Doom Patrol, etc.

I don't currently collect any Silver and have sold nearly all I ever had off long ago, but have bought both Marvel and DC over the years. As a kid I was definitely way more of a SA Marvel fan, but also have have a fondness of the goofier SA DC books like JO, Lois Lane, World's Finest and much of the pre new look Batman, and also like most anything by Adams and Kubert from the era, as well as some of Kane's covers, and a lot of the war output in general.

I find one of the least interesting DC Silver Age titles to be JLA.