• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel vs DC collectors

53 posts in this topic

The BB 28 thread had some speculation about the ratio of Marvel to DC collectors so I thought I would run a poll to get some data.

I haven't included the crack option because that mess ain't funny anymore.

And I haven't included other publishers as I was only looking to get a ratio of the big two.

DC for Silver Age: the imagination and strangeness of these stories can be addictive, so many of the cornerstones of the hobby were laid in this era

both for Bronze Age: Marvel really came into its own in the 70s, but who can deny the early Neal Adams and Mike Grell covers at DC?

Marvel for Copper Age: John Byrne on FF, Walt Simonson on Thor, Chris Claremont's X-Men, Peter David on Hulk are all phenomenal

I find being a DC collector helps on your budget.

Marvel collectors have a plethora of books to buy when it comes to SA keys

DC collectors have to wait and wait and wait for their SA keys.... so I end up spending less money and not feeling like I'm missing out due to limited funds (Im not saying DC books arent pricey, just that their lack of presence in the market makes me not feel so bad about being underfunded!)

The number that really grabs me is how many people just collect DC in the silver age. Given that Marvel comics was the transformational company at the time it boggles my mind. That said I guess I am kind of the same in the Golden Age. Despite the fact that DC was the superhero company of importance I collect Schomburg covers which only would touch Timely (and other non-DC companies).

The numbers are not as skewed as I thought they would be.

If you posted this in General the number would be about 25 Marvel to every DC. And the ratio would increase even more if you excluded Batman from DC.

If you posted this in General the number would be about 25 Marvel to every DC. And the ratio would increase even more if you excluded Batman from DC.

that's probably one explanation. there has to be something screwing with the results. i started to check the top registry sets and was getting 3 to 1 Marvel before i quit out of boredom. even that seemed wildly inaccurate.

It's interesting that it's the same now as what I percieved 20 years ago. I, myself, am exclusively Marvel - but I am pretty much the only person I know with that focus of collecting. Everyone else collects both and I have never met anyone who collected only DC.

It's interesting that it's the same now as what I percieved 20 years ago. I, myself, am exclusively Marvel - but I am pretty much the only person I know with that focus of collecting. Everyone else collects both and I have never met anyone who collected only DC.

Hey man I only collect DC. Does it count if I I only have 2 AF15s? :) literally I only buy DC.

Hey man I only collect DC. Does it count if I I only have 2 AF15s? :) literally I only buy DC.

If you have two AF15s then LITERALLY you buy both...