• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping for an entire collection

11 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone knew an cost efficient way to ship an entire book/magazine collection either across the US or even to Canada. There are just too many books to pack up and bring to the post office or even a local Fed Ex shop.

If anyone has any experience in shipping collections, please let me know as I would like to look into options. Feel free to PM me if you would like. Thanks for any help!

-Brad

I was wondering if anyone knew an cost efficient way to ship an entire book/magazine collection either across the US or even to Canada. There are just too many books to pack up and bring to the post office or even a local Fed Ex shop.

If anyone has any experience in shipping collections, please let me know as I would like to look into options. Feel free to PM me if you would like. Thanks for any help!

-Brad

How many books are there, and where are you?

There's plenty of big LTL (less than truckload) freight companies including UPS, Fedex, ConWay, New Penn, etc... There's also UShip if you've seen Shipping Wars on TV you know how they work. Get price quotes.

Get good solid pallets and stretch wrap and cardboard. Evenly distribute the load on the pallet, cardboard on the corners/top, and wrap it tight. When you think you have enough stretch wrap, go around a few more times.

I'd try to keep the height fairly low. Maybe 4 comic boxes high max to keep it from tipping over.

The trucking company will have paperwork and barcode the load but, you should also label everything with addresses and phone numbers.

Insurance is a must as well.

I've wondered what the taxes implications would be of bringing a big collection across the Canada US border.... how do dealers do it?

would it make sense to time it at the time of a TorontoCon so you can pose as a dealer and not an importer?

or does anybody know if "used books" would be covered under the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Act)?

good luck with the move - and I look forward to your future listings.