• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age colors/inks.

10 posts in this topic

I can`t remember the details but over the years I have heard mention of certain colors or inks that are either publisher specific or have certain traits associated with them i.e.a certain purple is from dc,this color is hard to find,that color does`nt survive well due to dirt/stain migration etc.

I realize that all the unifield colors (especially those in a yellow,white,or black)will be a challange to find surviving in high grade to the ease of stains,dirt,etc. in showing up/contrasting with them.

Just hoping some of the more expearienced collecters can fill in a few facts for me is all.

Well, here's a question.....I always assumed the penciler didn't do the colors. Maybe an indication of what he wanted...but I'm sure someone can clear that up...

I thought it was little old ladies....... confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, here's a question.....I always assumed the penciler didn't do the colors. Maybe an indication of what he wanted...but I'm sure someone can clear that up...

I thought it was little old ladies....... confused-smiley-013.gif

Interesting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Never gave it any thought,but you raise a valid point.

All I know is I've never seen a non-Kirby cover that made such exquisite use of purple. thumbsup2.gif

What gets me is Marvel came up with those wonderful light tone colors(pastels?)that we see on many of the early ASM.The soft blues and such you usually see in the background(like ASM#20).Seems like they did a lot of the buildings in a type of greenish tinted grey too.

I agree on the purple comments.FANTASTIC.Deep and rich(royal even).

Any expearience with cover backgrounds that are all,or mostly,white?I`ve historically had a really hard time finding them that were`nt sun faded(like my Captain America #111). confused.gif

The Marvel Silver Age books ,were colored by Stan Goldberg & Marie Severin mostly from what I've read!!! I think they also used metal printing plates back then!!!

You had metallic inks that were real glossy also !!! IMO, The cover colors were so much better back in the silver age!! Todays covers seem drab in comparison,plus there was more excitement ,composition,etc What do you guys think??

Agree, agree, agree, agree,..... and as for your last point...I agree.I actually mentioned once on the boards about the cool gradient blue that Marvel seemed to use alot back in the sixties. I also love the mid sixties covers....back to the pre-hero covers where they used tons of grey, quite effectively I might add.

The cover colors were so much better back in the silver age!! Todays covers seem drab in comparison,plus there was more excitement ,composition,etc What do you guys think??

Excitement + Composition = Kirby !

'nuff said! thumbsup2.gif