• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s MAD wannabes
2 2

49 posts in this topic

Those are some seriously rare "funny books"! I've never seen most of those with the exception of the Kurtzman books and even there I've never seen the Humbug Digest. The biography on Kurtzman is a great read if anyone has an interest and details his troubles with Gaines onto his troubles with Hefner. He was an amazing perfectionist and you can see it in the quality of the work that he left behind. Thanks to everyone who posted! Makes a Friday pandemic evening that much more enjoyable.

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Those are some seriously rare "funny books"! I've never seen most of those with the exception of the Kurtzman books and even there I've never seen the Humbug Digest. The biography on Kurtzman is a great read if anyone has an interest and details his troubles with Gaines onto his troubles with Hefner. He was an amazing perfectionist and you can see it in the quality of the work that he left behind. Thanks to everyone who posted! Makes a Friday pandemic evening that much more enjoyable.

Hefner at least tried to support Kurtzman; Little Annie Fanny ran for decades.  But I've always loved the supposed quote from Hefner regarding Kurtzman's work on Trump: "I gave him an unlimited budget and he blew through it instantly."  It shows, though; the two issues were beautiful.