• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was a neutral appropriate?

177 posts in this topic

Grin and smile. You can call me what ever you want behind my back. I know I am fussy but if you want me to send you hundreds sometimes thousands of dollars send me some decent scans or non fuzzy photos in full light without making me feel like a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

I think you may have misunderstood my "No". Taking that long to ship without notification and the beyond pathetic excuse of not providing additional scans would make me inclined to leave a negative if not cancel the transaction completely. That's just not how you run a business. Especially when there's people out there willing to bend over backwards to make a sale on books that cost less than half of what you spent with this guy. (thumbs u

Oh, I understood I was agreeing with you and elaborating.

There are now DSR ratings. The part dedicated to shipping and delivery time should have been dinged only. The price was agreed on, the book was shipped with ample packaging. Without seeing the actual auction listing, its hard to say that shipping was all that slow. I ship same day, but some may state that they ship slower (the high volume sellers)

Leaving a neutral in the first place is debatable. However, having seen his reaction I would leave it as is, rather than trying to remove it.

He could have entered into a constructive discussion if he was interested in why you left it, resolving a problem, seeing if you would agree to remove it... but he chose to act like a knob.

There are now DSR ratings. The part dedicated to shipping and delivery time should have been dinged only. The price was agreed on, the book was shipped with ample packaging. Without seeing the actual auction listing, its hard to say that shipping was all that slow. I ship same day, but some may state that they ship slower (the high volume sellers)

Time to ship was listed as two days.

I am with Junkdrawer on this one. As long as the books arrive in the condition described I would almost never leave a neutral. I would have considered dinging his shipping time DSR but it would take a month late for me to rate him a 1 and probably 3 weeks for a 2.

However, after their response, I would not change the feedback for anything. They have no excuse for such a response. Collectors are needy. If you expect anything else you are in the wrong industry. Dealing with them professionally should be job #1.

I am with Junkdrawer on this one. As long as the books arrive in the condition described I would almost never leave a neutral. I would have considered dinging his shipping time DSR but it would take a month late for me to rate him a 1 and probably 3 weeks for a 2.

However, after their response, I would not change the feedback for anything. They have no excuse for such a response. Collectors are needy. If you expect anything else you are in the wrong industry. Dealing with them professionally should be job #1.

After hearing your guys' response I tend to agree. I am not schooled on the etiquette of feedback. I figured a neutral was just a "hey you can improve" not a "this guys sucks".

Having read some of your posts and after a few PM's, you are kinda wound up tight sometimes.

Personally - I wouldn't have left anything, and decided if I wanted to buy again on a book to book basis.

Was the book how you wanted?

If so, what's a few days extra?

Is the seller a big feedback number? Some of these guys, as you know, regard $500 books as run of the mill stuff.

2 weeks to ship, if your book was ok, isn't the end of the world. Not to me anyway.

Having read some of your posts and after a few PM's, you are kinda wound up tight sometimes.

Personally - I wouldn't have left anything, and decided if I wanted to buy again on a book to book basis.

Is the seller a big feedback number? Some of these guys, as you know, regard $500 books as run of the mill stuff.

2 weeks to ship, if your book was ok, isn't the end of the world. Not to me anyway.

lol I am wound up tight sometimes.

But mostly I just like to argue and people take that as anger.

Hope none of my PM's have been too harsh. :foryou:

Unless I make a specific request to a seller "Hey, if I bid on the auction and win, would it be possible to have the book shipped within 3-4 days" (and they agree) I expect to get anything I purchase off of eBay within 2 weeks time.

Maybe... but the OP already said the guy's listing stated a two day turnaround. If you can't or aren't going to stick to it then don't declare it. Even if $500 books are "run of the mill" to the seller it doesn't justify the way it was handled.

God no - but I can see that as a very keen and driven collector, you may be frustrated by delays.

Right back at you - :foryou:

Are you Italian :baiting:

I might have dinged the seller for slow shipping, but leaving a neutral? hm

Having the seller say that they would ship and then still take four more days to actually ship is not good. It all comes down to communication. I like to think that most people are reasonable as long as you are honest with them. I would appreciate the seller just telling me up front that shipping is a little slow because (whatever reason).

Are you Italian :baiting:

Nah, mostly Irish and Scottish.

This also raises my other problem which has been a stick in my craw lately. If you are selling a book and a customer asks for extra scans or information you should provide it obligingly, especially if that book is worth $200 or more. Is that too much to ask?

No.

Maybe... but the OP already said the guy's listing stated a two day turnaround. If you can't or aren't going to stick to it then don't declare it. Even if $500 books are "run of the mill" to the seller it doesn't justify the way it was handled.

Agreed. When a seller sets an expectation (as this seller did by stating that shipping will be within two days), then buyers will look for the seller to live up to that expectation. Good customer service is all about setting expectations and meeting or exceeding them.

If you say that you will deliver something within four days and you deliver that something in two days, you have exceeded expectations. This usually results in a happy customer.

If you say that you will deliver within four days and you deliver in six days, you have failed to meet expectations. This usually results in an unhappy customer.

Agreed. When a seller sets an expectation (as this seller did by stating that shipping will be within two days), then buyers will look for the seller to live up to that expectation. Good customer service is all about setting expectations and meeting or exceeding them.

If you say that you will deliver something within four days and you deliver that something in two days, you have exceeded expectations. This usually results in a happy customer.

If you say that you will deliver within four days and you deliver in six days, you have failed to meet expectations. This usually results in an unhappy customer.

I would have been fine with an 11 day shipping time, if told that at the beginning or even at the 7 day mark if they had shipped on the day they said they would.

Also, maybe I am just too young and impatient.

From this experience I will raise my neutral threshold.

People have good intentions and sometimes life gets in the way.

Shipping within 2 weeks of an order is not out of the ordinary. If I have to wait two weeks for an order from eBay i'm not losing sleep over it.

If I were buying comics from eBay (especially $500 books), I would be more concerned with getting what I ordered and in the condition described. That's the biggest issue with eBay.

If the book was as described and was packed well....i wouldn't leave a neutral over slow shipping. I'd let the seller know I was a bit bothered by it but would leave positive feedback.

If I were buying comics from eBay (especially $500 books), I would be more concerned with getting what I ordered and in the condition described. That's the biggest issue with eBay.

Big +1

Generally ebay purchases for me, are deals I could not pass up. If a $500 book is as described, there is absolutely no way I am leaving anything other than positive feedback and risk not being able to buy from a seller that offers such deals in the future.