• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was a neutral appropriate?

177 posts in this topic

OP, the real issue here is what DSRs you left the seller, not the neutral. I didn't read that here, unless I missed it somewhere.

Negs/Neuts do not get sellers thrown off ebay or cause them to lose TRS Plus status (which could end their business also).... star dings do.

A buyer may be hurting himself and the entire collecting community by leaving less than 5 stars. You have to ask yourself, do I want to cut my own nose off to spite my face.......... and that of other collectors as well?

Was this seller a scammer, DD, Ewert, PGX Daniel, etc, etc, type of person?

I agree the shipping delay and offensive email was unprofessional. But do you want this seller thrown off ebay where no one can ever buy from him again? That is the real question here.

So I ask you... what DSRs did you leave the seller?

To be honest I didn't give the stars nearly as much consideration as the neutral. I left mediocre stars, two I think, for shipping and dinged one for communication.

That is far worse damage than the neutral you left. Ebay goes by star ratings. They just culled 15,000 sellers. Many of those sellers had average ratings as high as 4.7. So you can see what kind of damage leaving even a 4 out of 5 can do to a seller. Especially a small seller that does not get tons of other DSR ratings to offset anything less than a 5. (Those star ratings are not anonymous by the way. A seller can see everything a buyer rated them simply by running a 30 second report.)

The fact that you left your seller a "2" is a death blow. "1"s and "2"s are factored into the "low DSR" seller report card. If a seller has more than 0.5% low DSRs (1s and 2s), they will lose TRS status. (It only takers a couple bad ones to eliminate a small seller.) They will be on ebay's radar and probably get their account restricted sooner, rather than later.

eBay removed the listing privileges for the worst 15,000 sellers on the site (and banned a boatload of them too) - people who already had their selling limits restricted due to bad feedback & perpetually low DSRs. Can we please stop pretending that these sellers were all innocent little lambs and not scammers, scumbags and chinese dropshippers? :doh:

Everyone makes mistakes. Things do happen. Communicate and maybe it can be worked out.

I'm with you on this. And it really shows poor judgment when a seller doesn't think through a $500 buyer may end up a repeat $500 buyer if treated respectfully.

I had a seller on Atomic Avenue last year I was not pleased with due to delayed shipping. But when he responded to my email from his Blackberry in the same day he was away due to a medical emergency - and even sent me a free box of books later as a gift - I couldn't help but come back. That's a wise seller!

But from what the seller said, he simply thought it was ok to wait two weeks to ship the thing, despite listing 2 days as his shipping time.

Not defending the seller's behavior in any way.

But I just started listing books again on Ebay. Other than the new format is horrible, there are some defaults you need to watch out for.

One is Global Shipping being default "on" (thanks to the post here warning of this, I found it and unchecked the box). The other being default turnaround time is 2 days. I didn't even catch where to adjust this with this new layout. But I am sure it is somewhere you can pick up on once you look for it.

Are you using TurboLister? If not, this is a much better way to list your items and keep track of them. Even if you feel you don't have that many items, it is still worth it. Trust me. It's free anyway. :)

But from what the seller said, he simply thought it was ok to wait two weeks to ship the thing, despite listing 2 days as his shipping time.

But I just started listing books again on Ebay. Other than the new format is horrible, there are some defaults you need to watch out for.

One is Global Shipping being default "on" (thanks to the post here warning of this, I found it and unchecked the box). The other being default turnaround time is 2 days. I didn't even catch where to adjust this with this new layout. But I am sure it is somewhere you can pick up on once you look for it.

Are you using TurboLister? If not, this is a much better way to list your items and keep track of them. Even if you feel you don't have that many items, it is still worth it. Trust me. It's free anyway. :)

I was about to say "I don't list enough". lol

Sounds interesting. And especially with this new layout, if it is less painful to read through, the better.

If the seller in this instance had even communicated, "Hey, I'm sorry, I didn't realize eBay had checked the 2 day turnaround time box for me", that'd have been one thing.

But he didn't. He had a cavalier attitude about timeliness (or lack thereof) for shipping out a $500 book.

It's the lack of respect on a $500 sale that bothers me. I can spend my $500 anywhere. I'm not going to spend it on someone who sees my order as an inconvenience to their schedule.

Yup. The neutral feedback is very well deserved. $500 isn't an insignificant amount of money and I'd like to think that reasonable sellers would provide better customer service for that size transaction. Or any size transaction, for that matter.

OP, the real issue here is what DSRs you left the seller, not the neutral. I didn't read that here, unless I missed it somewhere.

Negs/Neuts do not get sellers thrown off ebay or cause them to lose TRS Plus status (which could end their business also).... star dings do.

A buyer may be hurting himself and the entire collecting community by leaving less than 5 stars. You have to ask yourself, do I want to cut my own nose off to spite my face.......... and that of other collectors as well?

I agree the shipping delay and offensive email was unprofessional. But do you want this seller thrown off ebay where no one can ever buy from him again? That is the real question here.

To be honest I didn't give the stars nearly as much consideration as the neutral. I left mediocre stars, two I think, for shipping and dinged one for communication.

That is far worse damage than the neutral you left. Ebay goes by star ratings. They just culled 15,000 sellers. Many of those sellers had average ratings as high as 4.7. So you can see what kind of damage leaving even a 4 out of 5 can do to a seller. Especially a small seller that does not get tons of other DSR ratings to offset anything less than a 5. (Those star ratings are not anonymous by the way. A seller can see everything a buyer rated them simply by running a 30 second report.)

The fact that you left your seller a "2" is a death blow. "1"s and "2"s are factored into the "low DSR" seller report card. If a seller has more than 0.5% low DSRs (1s and 2s), they will lose TRS status. (It only takers a couple bad ones to eliminate a small seller.) They will be on ebay's radar and probably get their account restricted sooner, rather than later.

eBay removed the listing privileges for the worst 15,000 sellers on the site (and banned a boatload of them too) - people who already had their selling limits restricted due to bad feedback & perpetually low DSRs. Can we please stop pretending that these sellers were all innocent little lambs and not scammers, scumbags and chinese dropshippers? :doh:

That's not entirely accurate. There were many good sellers that were targeted by competitors, or made one mistake, and were part of the cull. There was no personal review of their accounts, just another bad software program that didn't care about the few goods ones that were wrongly tossed along with the many bad ones. There stories are out there if you care to read them. I'm sure you will agree that ebay is not intelligent enough to eliminate 15,000 bad sellers without mistakenly eliminating some good ones as well?

I was about to say "I don't list enough". lol

Sounds interesting. And especially with this new layout, if it is less painful to read through, the better.

1000 X less painful. And once you get used to it, and start selling some stuff, you'll feel encouraged to start listing even more stuff. You'll start going through those boxes in your closet/storage and think, "Ahhhhh, I really don't need that anymore. It's been packed in a box for 15 years now." :grin:

That's not entirely accurate. There were many good sellers that were targeted by competitors, or made one mistake, and were part of the cull. There was no personal review of their accounts, just another bad software program that didn't care about the few goods ones that were wrongly tossed along with the many bad ones. There stories are out there if you care to read them. I'm sure you will agree that ebay is not intelligent enough to eliminate 15,000 bad sellers without mistakenly eliminating some good ones as well?

Sure - which is why eBay allowed you to appeal the restriction to a real life non-robotic person. I personally wish eBay would do more cullings like this :thumbsup:

Sure - which is why eBay allowed you to appeal the restriction to a real life non-robotic person. I personally wish eBay would do more cullings like this :thumbsup:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

You're funny. (thumbs u

If it were a $20 dollar book I would say you over reacted. But when you're spending $500 the book should be shipped on time and additional scans should be provided if requested.

The seller definitely over reacted with his response to you, especially with a neutral and not a neg. I wouldn't worry about retracting it after that.

The seller should've seen this coming. He's on eBay.

I bend over backwards to ship fast because eBay expects it of me and I know especially in dealing with comics, people want their books fast. If I make a mistake, I go out of my way to apologize and do something extra to make it up to the customer so they're happy and hopefully keep them coming back for more $500 purchases.

If I put 2 day shipping in my listing, I'm shipping it in 1.

I have free shipping on all listings to avoid any unnecessary DSR comments.

I use boxes.

I provide additional scans when requested.

Seems to me that if you sell $500 books on eBay, you'd (the seller) understand this, and it's not like if he complained to eBay he'd have a leg to stand on in disputing the neutral.

Everybody's asking for the buyer's (OP) eBay handle? I'd rather have the sellers eBay handle. Given his actions and the response, he sounds like he's in over his head and not someone I'd be interested in spending that kind of money with.

Tough times happen, but if you accept the responsibility of selling $500 items on eBay, you should accept the responsibilities that go along with it and act accordingly.

Same here. Unless I missed it, I read this whole thread hoping to find out who the seller was. Who is the seller?

No question about that, clicking ok to any legal binding agreement takes careful scrutiny.

If the seller in this instance had even communicated, "Hey, I'm sorry, I didn't realize eBay had checked the 2 day turnaround time box for me", that'd have been one thing.

But he didn't. He had a cavalier attitude about timeliness (or lack thereof) for shipping out a $500 book.

It's the lack of respect on a $500 sale that bothers me. I can spend my $500 anywhere. I'm not going to spend it on someone who sees my order as an inconvenience to their schedule.

Everyone makes mistakes. Things do happen. Communicate and maybe it can be worked out.

I agree the seller is a pinhead. I just can't put him in the same class as a DD, Ewert, PGX Danny, etc. If we knocked out every pinhead on ebay from selling, that would only leave 2 other sellers, besides myself, for everyone to buy from. :grin:

hm You know what....... go ahead and ding those bad ebayers' stars. :)

Which isn't what anyone is doing, I don't think. We're talking about leaving a neutral, not a negative. Negatives are reserved for the list you mention.

No question about that, clicking ok to any legal binding agreement takes careful scrutiny.

I agree the seller is a pinhead. I just can't put him in the same class as a DD, Ewert, PGX Danny, etc. If we knocked out every pinhead on ebay from selling, that would only leave 2 other sellers, besides myself, for everyone to buy from. :grin:

Are you sure you would make the cut lol I keed I keed

I see you point and hence why I feel bad. I was not familiar with how the stars worked and In the future will raise my threshold.

He was a bad seller but not sufficient to warrant being kicked off or even the possibility of being kicked.

Seller took 11 days to ship and didn't tell me it would take that long. After waiting a week I enquired, they told me it would ship that day and then did not ship for another four days. Curt replies and usually took over a day to respond. Overcharged on shipping and seemed annoyed when I asked for it to be box shipped even though it was a $500 book.

I left a neutral and got this reply:

WHATS THE PROBLEM? YOU GOT YOUR BOOK! I TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE A LITTLE SLOW BECAUSE OUR CREW WAS ON VACATION! ITS SUMMER TIME AND THE WORLD GOES AWAY! IT WAS PACKED SO WELL WITH EXTRA BUBBLE! IT GOT TO YOU SAFE WITH NO PROBLEMS, YET THAT WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU! EVEN DEALING WITH US YOU SEND ME A TON OF EMAILS BOTHERING US! YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE FUC**N JERK OFF'S THAT IS NEVER HAPPY. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They absolutely did not tell me it would take a while to ship. All they said was that they couldn't provide extra scans of another book as the guy who does them was on vacation.

I would have left a neg in a heartbeat. Rudeness is deserving of a neg, and the guy was rude to you. For some reason E-Bayers are way too shy about leaving negs.

Are you sure you would make the cut lol I keed I keed

I see you point and hence why I feel bad. I was not familiar with how the stars worked and In the future will raise my threshold.

He was a bad seller but not sufficient to warrant being kicked off or even the possibility of being kicked.

It's an effed up system. You don't know how many ebay buyers unknowingly hurt sellers that they are perfectly happy with, by leaving 4 star ratings just because they never give anyone perfect ratings for anything in life. In reality, 4 out of 5 is very good. On ebay a 4.0 is an automatic termination. Ebay considers all ratings below 4.8 to be troublesome. I could see it their way, if it wasn't so easy for a total loser to purposely damage a seller's account by leaving low DSRs, like say a competitor, ex husband/wife lol , etc.

It's an effed up system. You don't know how many ebay buyers unknowingly hurt sellers that they are perfectly happy with, by leaving 4 star ratings just because they never give anyone perfect ratings for anything in life. In reality, 4 out of 5 is very good. On ebay a 4.0 is an automatic termination. Ebay considers all ratings below 4.8 to be troublesome. I could see it their way, if it wasn't so easy for a total loser to purposely damage a seller's account by leaving low DSRs, like say a competitor, ex husband/wife lol , etc.

I think some of that can be attributed to the way eBay has worded the accompanying descriptions for the star ratings. For item description, 4 stars is "accurate", 5 is "very accurate". I can see some buyers interpreting "very accurate" as "above and beyond my expectations".

So a seller lists a comic as NM 9.4 and when the buyer receives it, lo and behold, it's a NM 9.4. So the buyer says to himself "well, it's a 9.4, that's what I was expecting, it's not beyond what I expected, so I'll give him a 4 for Accurate"

When in reality getting a high grade comic accurately graded off eBay IS exceptional. eBay should drop the "very" from all the 5 star ratings. I think it encourages buyers to expect to routinely receive more than what was agreed too.