• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major life events

10 posts in this topic

So much for my CGC budget...

The days of throwing money away on rent are over; welcome to the days of throwing money away on a mortgage! Tomorrow my wife and I are expecting to sign the documents buying our first house. We've tried to keep the monthly payments as close as possible to our current rent payment, but of course there will be additional new expenses. For example, I haven't had to mow a lawn since I was in high school, now I have grass of my very own. But more importantly, now I will have sufficient floor and wall space to organize and display my comics, toys, original art, and art prints!

Before that, though, I get to pack and move everything. More than 11,000 individual issues, plus TPBs, HCs, statues, etc. No fun is expected for several weeks, but due to some fortunate timing I was able to attend the National Book Festival on Saturday and hear Brad Meltzer speak, then sign my Justice League of America 0 and a copy of his newest book, Fifth Assassin. Between this and my four submissions in various stages of slabbing I should be able to get through this period of heavy lifting. I'm always apprehensive during moves; wish me luck in transporting without disaster.

14316.jpg

See more journals by wardevil0

Congrats man. I love owning my house, it's something I never had as a kid so it means a lot. Take nothing for granted, and enjoy every moment in your new abode. Decorating will be a blast...moving that many books, not so much. That is aLOT of books!

Is that you in the pic? Looks like your giving a speech at a book festival? Is there a story behind that?

sig.jpg

Good luck and congrats!

I own my own 1250 sq ft condo, though without the wife or even a girlfriend, and I love being able to hang and display all of my comic book, artwork and CGC goodness all around the house.

Moving everything will be a headache, but once it's all done, you will love owning your own house.

Again, congrats!!

When you start to have a family, put them away from the baby. Don't delay.

As being Batman fans (playing Lego Batman: Dark Knight video game), my 7 years old son and 5 years old daughter are starting to see my beloved Neal Adams' Batman and Detective Comics books. I am getting nervous about that!

I buried them deep, deeper and deepest inside the closet. It's hard for me to make uncomfortable access.

Your 11,000 comic books is nearly 1.5 times more than my collection.

Be careful. Congrats on your purchase of the first house.

Congrats man. I love owning my house, it's something I never had as a kid so it means a lot. Take nothing for granted, and enjoy every moment in your new abode. Decorating will be a blast...moving that many books, not so much. That is aLOT of books!

Is that you in the pic? Looks like your giving a speech at a book festival? Is there a story behind that?

sig.jpg

Alas no, I'm behind the camera in that pic. That's Brad Meltzer at the National Book Festival in DC. Mr Meltzer may be best known around here as the writer of Identity Crisis and the relaunch of Justice League of America in 2006. He also wrote Book of Lies, which has some significant tie-ins to Siegel and Shuster's creation of Superman. Alledgedly, the webcast of the session will be available on the Library of Congress website, but it isn't yet.

Thanks for all the well wishes! As a general update, the final walk-through went pretty well, and the closing went very well. Less than an hour of signing forms with the agents and we were headed back to start cleaning and prepping. Step one: change the locks. Step two: sanitize every drawer pull and cabinet knob. Step three: stand in the basement and visualize the comics room to come... :applause: