• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting and Crossroads

7 posts in this topic

The darkness beckons and I sleep. The music plays and I dream. And in between I silently curse not knowing which is which.

The night is getting chilly. I sit awake much later than I should. A stack of comic books make its way from one pile to another. Another stack, this particular pile graded by CGC, awaits my decision to either sell, get signed, or keep. The NYCC is coming closer like a thunderstorm rushing on the wind. I have a small stack of books from my younger brother for signatures at this prestigious event while a couple more than a few are on their way. I have one book I want to add three signatures but the rest are a test. Can I really buy to sell?

The New Mutants is my favorite series, as much as it is my younger brothers. I might have surpassed him once, but I don't think I ever will again. We both are getting all our books signed by individual or multiple creators, even with the threat of a dropped grade. We both wish this will never happen. It has happened to me before but not on the books I so love.

For the ones I hope to sell, I wonder will the money I spend on grading come back two fold, or am I just kidding myself? I do have some books that are of value, but are they only of value to me? After the NYCC I have Megacon and ECCC early next year, back to back. How shrewd can I be in my funds? Can I get 15 books signed by Art Adams? Will someone else decide to purchase a book or two off of me to help me continue this habit. Or is it time to stop collecting the way I collect?

I love reading these books, I truly do. I love the stories and the artwork but do I need them graded by CGC? Are my East of West books a hope that I can buy a book and flip them or is the story of the four horseman of the apocalypse truly a masterpiece by Hickman. Is Lazarus that fun of a book, can Ten Grand ever be worth as much, and can Tom Mandrake's return on Sidekick capture me like his cover on New Mutants 15 did?

Maybe I just need more money. Or maybe work more? A combination of both? Or maybe I just need to make a game plan and stick with it. Will I ever reclaim the number one spot again? I don't know. Will I try? Of course, but for some reason I feel that I'm missing something. And that I might have to be rid of everything to figure out what.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14318.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I know how feel Tnerb.

I'm thinking about is getting my favorite series in a Trade Paperbacks or Hardcover and try to get all the creative team to sign that book. For me I love the All-Star Squadrons and DC only brought that series in a black\white Showcase edition. I'm thinking to get all the 67 issues and bound them in a hardcover, AND try to get all the signatures who was involved with the All-Star's. I know one signature I won't ever get is Joe Kubert because he has recently passed away.

But trying to get every book sign in my 67 issues run??? Year later I might regret it for doing that and I should put my money in better investment books or a house.

Been at that crossroad before. Do what you need for you, and don't count on anything from an attempt to sell.

Oh, and don't sell anything you love - it isn't replaceable.

I thought Tnerd had kind of a good ring to it...

Happy Hunting

Lee

Been at that crossroad before. Do what you need for you, and don't count on anything from an attempt to sell.

Oh, and don't sell anything you love - it isn't replaceable.

Well said, Lee!

I thin out my collection from time to time, one way I decide on what to purge is by finding the pieces where I only see the price I paid over the book itself. I have several pieces that I may have over paid for but when I look at them I only see the book and think how glade I am to have it - these are the books that stay.

Brandon

I feel your pain brother! Comics can take up and consume much of our lives... Both time and money. But we have to realize it is not the end all be all to life.

So make the wise choices, live by your means, be patient and dedicate and nurture your collection over time. There's no need to rush... Budget and save and get those comics signed and graded that are priority and hold off on those that can wait.

I sent you a long list of signatures I am aiming for, but believe it or not, I knocked out about 20-30 others to get it down to that and I still may need to shave off more. But that's okay cause I know tomorrow is another day and there will be more opportunities down the road.

Looking forward to seeing you at NYComicCon!

SW3D