• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Banned book week at CBLDF

25 posts in this topic

There are 119,987 libraries in the United States. When the CBLDF cries out about one library selectively determining that some adult-driven graphic novels shouldn't be read by children because they are "unsuited to an age group" doesn't really do anything for me. One library out of nearly 120,000 banning a book is not "censorship".

That list looks like they are desperately trying to get on the Banned Book Bandwagon - which I can understand from a marketing aspect. But from a serious aspect - this list is pretty much a First World Problem list compared to many other forms of censorship.

There are 119,987 libraries in the United States. When the CBLDF cries out about one library selectively determining that some adult-driven graphic novels shouldn't be read by children because they are "unsuited to an age group" doesn't really do anything for me. One library out of nearly 120,000 banning a book is not "censorship".

That list looks like they are desperately trying to get on the Banned Book Bandwagon - which I can understand from a marketing aspect. But from a serious aspect - this list is pretty much a First World Problem list compared to many other forms of censorship.

It's not just children going to the library.

It's not just children going to the library.

But that's who censor's usually point to in order to rally their cause.

Yeah, a lot of those examples were "challenged" by parents after a child brought home a book the parent(s) disagreed with.

Does anyone think the librarians have a bit of responsibility? If a 9-year-old kid tries to check out Watchmen, shouldn't the librarian say no?

Or are they just robots behind a counter, for show? I used to ask my local librarian for recommendations all the time as a kid, and he or she would steer me towards my style of book but in my age group.

-slym

Dr. Balls heres the thing, its not the library making the determination, its a person filing a complaint against the library. Apparently in 2012 there were 464 challenges http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/top10 Captain Underpants was the number one challenged book (which is weird cause I loved those books as a kid)

So the parent always has to go to the library and check out the books for the child? That would never have worked in my household.

Librarians are more than just shelf-straighteners. They aren't a replacement for parents, but they are there to help guide your child when selecting reading material. At least, they used to be. Sad if they aren't any longer.

-slym

I remember another thread on here awhile ago about the Neonomicon case. I never read it, but of what I heard its pretty graphic.

I wouldn't normally make a value judgement as far as what someone else should or shouldn't expose their kids to, but it's pretty safe to say, this book is a big no.

Dr. Balls heres the thing, its not the library making the determination, its a person filing a complaint against the library. Apparently in 2012 there were 464 challenges http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/top10 Captain Underpants was the number one challenged book (which is weird cause I loved those books as a kid)

Yes, and in many of the books on CBLDFs page faced a key challenge and lost in one library. One. I'm sorry, but as a person who has had work censored for a variety of reasons, getting up in arms about one book in one library amongst over 100,000 is Kardashian-level drama queen behavior. It's great awareness building, but that's it. The destruction of modern literature will not come at the hands of a lone middle school librarian in Nebraska who does not like Alan Moore's beard.

Yes, and in many of the books on CBLDFs page faced a key challenge and lost in one library. One. I'm sorry, but as a person who has had work censored for a variety of reasons, getting up in arms about one book in one library amongst over 100,000 is Kardashian-level drama queen behavior. It's great awareness building, but that's it. The destruction of modern literature will not come at the hands of a lone middle school librarian in Nebraska who does not like Alan Moore's beard.

I'm surprised by the third one on that list "Thirteen reasons why" was the book I did my summer reading on for in high school, and was encouraged by teachers to be read.

Does anyone think the librarians have a bit of responsibility?

Yes, of course they do. But at the same time, every parent is different. That's why I won't give away comics on Halloween, doesn't matter if the Code is there or not, some parents freak over the littlest things.

And we don't ban alcohol if the cashier at 7-11 sells some beer to some teens.

So the parent always has to go to the library and check out the books for the child?
If they're the kind of parent that is going to freak over Captain Underpants then yes. That or completely remove yourself and your child from society so you can safely indoctrinate them into whatever weird stuff you're into, ensuring they aren't ready for the real world when they become adults. That's not considered child abuse yet.

:facepalm:

My home address is in Rosemount Minnesota and my daughters go to school in that school district.

And my 13 year old grandson love Bone and he goes to that school also. It's my job as a parent and a grandparent to over see what they are reading not some busy body who thinks they know whats right for everyone else. I don't mean the librarians, they have enough things to do and it's not their job to monitor what your child reads.

If you do not want your child to read it have them return it. Don't push your morals off on other people.

:facepalm:

My home address is in Rosemount Minnesota and my daughters go to school in that school district.

And my 13 year old grandson love Bone and he goes to that school also. It's my job as a parent and a grandparent to over see what they are reading not some busy body who thinks they know whats right for everyone else. I don't mean the librarians, they have enough things to do and it's not their job to monitor what your child reads.

If you do not want your child to read it have them return it. Don't push your morals off on other people.

Great that your grandson loves that title. I'm trying to get my son to read Tintin and Asterix - give it time...

The reaction of the parents (which caused the teacher in question to resign, which effectively vindicated their beliefs as far as they were concerned) was all about paranoia rather than simple morality. Amazed they allowed their son (who was about 16?) out of the house.

Ice Haven, in common with all of Clowes's work (he's my favourite alternative writer/artist) involves a degree of skewed tropes, subtle subversion and misanthropy, but none of it would pose a threat to even the most hidebound of 16 year olds. To label it as something damaging and corruptive is absurd. Amazed that the teacher threw in the towel so quickly.