• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPOILER-FILLED thread about Agents Of SHIELD
1 1

2,204 posts in this topic

It's a bit of entertaining fluff that is a full season ahead of AOS so it should be a lot better in every respect, including character development and the plot.

That argument falls flat because Arrow was excellent from the very beginning. It started off as an A and has consistently stayed there, whereas AoS started off as a C-minus and has climbed to maybe a B-minus over the past couple of episodes. I just don't see how it's ever going to be an A-quality show unless, at the very least, they stop trying to appeal to the teeny bopper crowd (would probably require a drastic casting change) and change the format from dealing with the Scooby Doo/X-Files monster of the week to becoming more of the espionage action thriller set in the Marvel Universe that it was supposed to be. Even then, with Disney in charge, I'm sure we'd just get a different version of the bland, broadly palatable, cookie-cutter milquetoast such as we've gotten so far. 2c

I agree with this:

What's W.R.O.N.G. with Marvel's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."? Bland characters, forgettable stories and a tenuous connection to Marvel

Excerpts:

I don't hate it, but if it wasn't for residual affection for Marvel that goes back to childhood, and a sense of professional curiosity about whether this big corporate behemoth of a show can be made to work, I suspect it would have been consigned to the same place in my viewing priorities as the various USA and TNT shows I sometimes watch if I'm folding laundry or sorting my mail....

If the next episode of "SHIELD" were to open with time-traveling supervillain Kang removing all six of these leads from existence and replacing them with new characters, I don't know that I'd genuinely miss any of them.

[Coulson's] unflappable, self-deprecating manner stood out when he was standing toe to toe with gods and monsters and men in metal suits, but outside the context of those movies, he's come across as fairly bland, despite Gregg's gift for delivering Whedon-style punchlines.

Ward is a big block of wood; Skye is a cipher whose blandness the show occasionally tries to distract you from by putting Bennet in a skimpy dress (or, last week, her underwear).

So the ostensible leads are all problematic, UK scientists Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) and Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge) barely even qualify as characters at this point, and are just there to banter in different accents, and Ming-Na Wen's Melinda May gets to entertainingly beat people up once per episode but is yet another character whose backstory and motivations are being held for a later date.

So, so true...

I like all the characters on Arrow, but my favorite is Felecity. On AOS, my favorite is the car, with May a close second. I don't care about any of the others. There is no edge to S.H.E.I.D., I don't worry about the characters having their heads cut off when they open a door. I kept telling myself they have a contract, but I'm INTERESTED in them and want them to survive.

With AOS, I'd love for them to find other jobs.

It's a bit of entertaining fluff that is a full season ahead of AOS so it should be a lot better in every respect, including character development and the plot.

That argument falls flat because Arrow was excellent from the very beginning. It started off as an A and has consistently stayed there, whereas AoS started off as a C-minus and has climbed to maybe a B-minus over the past couple of episodes. I just don't see how it's ever going to be an A-quality show unless, at the very least, they stop trying to appeal to the teeny bopper crowd (would probably require a drastic casting change) and change the format from dealing with the Scooby Doo/X-Files monster of the week to becoming more of the espionage action thriller set in the Marvel Universe that it was supposed to be. Even then, with Disney in charge, I'm sure we'd just get a different version of the bland, broadly palatable, cookie-cutter milquetoast such as we've gotten so far. 2c

I disagree that Arrow was excellent from the off - it was OK and then got progressively better. This season already shows more promise than the last.

It is true that SHIELD needs to pick up it's game considerably if it want's to be more than TV fluff.

As much as I enjoy watching Arrow it's not a show - so far - that I would watch more than once or own on DVD.

I like all the characters on Arrow, but my favorite is Felecity. On AOS, my favorite is the car, with May a close second. I don't care about any of the others. There is no edge to S.H.E.I.D., I don't worry about the characters having their heads cut off when they open a door. I kept telling myself they have a contract, but I'm INTERESTED in them and want them to survive.

Felicity is the best character on Arrow - which says much about the depth of the others considering that she is probably about eighth in the list of importance.

Felicity is the best character on Arrow - which says much about the depth of the others considering that she is probably about eighth in the list of importance.

You just don't appreciate Oliver's abs...Diggler is very cool as well. and I'm even starting to like Roy Harper and the mother...even though she was evil before;)

Arrow is fast moving, I've actually kept a few on my DVR to watch again in case I missed something. It's hard to miss something in AOS because there is NOTHING GOING ON;)

But I will try it again next week, lol. in case;)

I watched Arrow last night. Oliver and Laurel resonates the same old Clark and Lana "we can't be together" stuff and I hate it.

The fight scenes were ok.

Is Canary meant to be Black Canary? If so I would like to have seen a scream.

I watched Arrow last night. Oliver and Laurel resonates the same old Clark and Lana "we can't be together" stuff and I hate it.

That device she used was the sonic scream.

Is what I thought but I didn't understand why it was done that way.

I think they are trying to keep away from the super powers angle and base it in 'reality'.

Which means the Flash will be somewhat interesting.

I think they are trying to keep away from the super powers angle and base it in 'reality'.

Which means the Flash will be somewhat interesting.

is a smart way for them to give her powers in the future and make flash be the introduction of super powers heros

I know but I do hope marvel/Disney learn from arrow and the same goes for WB/DC both can learn from each other in films and TV shows.

I stopped watching ARROW last season. It seems they learned form Aaron Spelling.

This last ep of SHIELD was the best so far, of course IMHO. I'm not expecting SHIELD to be another AVENGERS movie. And this last ep is closer to what I was envisioning.

I thought the first few episodes of SHIELD were awful. I was only sticking with it because it's Marvel. It began ticking up, but the last episode was very well done. Finally the characters weren't annoying anymore! It's as if they had been paying attention to the complaints in the various reviews and the newly filmed material just had to catch up and be aired. Now I'm looking forward to this show.

I'm actually enjoying the show. I don't know. Maybe, I just like bad TV.

I do echo that only one of the scientists would have been fine, with my choice being her. I find him annoying.

I'd also like to see some more recognizable characters, but I know that sometimes Whedon's shows start slowly, and then pick-up.

Psi, it isn't bad, it just isn't living up to its potential. That being said, I like it and am sticking with it. We got the first 6 episodes they filmed before the full-season contract was signed, and we saw marked improvement there from ep. #1 to #6. It really only can get better, and with feedback coming for almost two months, we are bound to see at least some of the things we are hoping for, such as epic battles (I'd like to see the SHIELD Helicarrier and maybe AIM or Hydra in a large-scale attack) and 2nd- & even 3rd-string heroes and villains making appearances.

I also agree about getting rid of Fitz and keeping Simmons (she is cute!) but it isn't gonna happen. I feel like that is a Whedon joke, having two people he can call one name.

-slym