• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPOILER-FILLED thread about Agents Of SHIELD
1 1

2,204 posts in this topic

Last night's episode didn't do so well on the ratings front. To wit:

http://www.blastr.com/2013-11-13/shield-falls-again-walking-dead-wins-again-41-other-genre-shows

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC) 7.15 million viewers/2.5/7 share

Arrow (CW) 2.80 million viewers/1.0/3 share

Game. Set. Match.

The Marvel Money Machine rolls on! :applause:

http://www.blastr.com/2013-11-13/shield-falls-again-walking-dead-wins-again-41-other-genre-shows

Game. Set. Match.

lol Agents of eld started with 4.7 share, hit 2.2 last night

Edited by paperheart

Game. Set. Match.

Respectfully, you are comparing apples to oranges. A cable network like the CW is not a major television network like ABC in terms of broader and deeper viewership pool and promotional support. More important, prime time on a major television network like ABC on a Tuesday evening is EXPENSIVE commercial time. Commercial time on the CW isn't close to what advertisers pay to be on ABC during prime time on a Tuesday night. The big advertisers that have paid top dollar for 30 seconds on MAOS aren't getting the bang for their buck based on recent ratings. Conversely, advertisers on Arrow aren't paying as much for the 30-second slots that they would on ABC, but they're still getting good audience ratings to justify repeat purchases of the commercial time at the price CW wants to charge.

I'm a huge Marvel fan and I want MAOS to crush it. But the numbers continue to slide downward, and, honestly, is any of us surprised? At the current rate of audience decline, ABC will start to consider if they can put another program on that can draw more viewers than MAOS does to justify the top advertising dollar they want to charge. And then that's when the spectre of cancellation starts to come into the network program execs' minds.

"After opening in September to a big 4.7 rating in adults 18-49, “SHIELD” has declined with its next six original episodes: 3.3, 2.9, 2.8, 2.7, 2.5 last week and now a 2.2." http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/agents-of-shield-hits-another-low-as-nbc-cbs-top-tuesday-1200826817/#

So, I am creating this thread now so when the show is on and afterward, we can talk about the show without a bunch of spoiler tags.

***DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS***

:D

Yeah, no more spoiler tags! If someone hasn't seen it yet, screw 'em!

;)

-slym

Game. Set. Match.

Respectfully, you are comparing apples to oranges. A cable network like the CW is not a major television network like ABC in terms of broader and deeper viewership pool and promotional support. More important, prime time on a major television network like ABC on a Tuesday evening is EXPENSIVE commercial time. Commercial time on the CW isn't close to what advertisers pay to be on ABC during prime time on a Tuesday night. The big advertisers that have paid top dollar for 30 seconds on MAOS aren't getting the bang for their buck based on recent ratings. Conversely, advertisers on Arrow aren't paying as much for the 30-second slots that they would on ABC, but they're still getting good audience ratings to justify repeat purchases of the commercial time at the price CW wants to charge.

I'm a huge Marvel fan and I want MAOS to crush it. But the numbers continue to slide downward, and, honestly, is any of us surprised? At the current rate of audience decline, ABC will start to consider if they can put another program on that can draw more viewers than MAOS does to justify the top advertising dollar they want to charge. And then that's when the spectre of cancellation starts to come into the network program execs' minds.

"After opening in September to a big 4.7 rating in adults 18-49, “SHIELD” has declined with its next six original episodes: 3.3, 2.9, 2.8, 2.7, 2.5 last week and now a 2.2." http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/agents-of-shield-hits-another-low-as-nbc-cbs-top-tuesday-1200826817/#

Maybe this was discussed in the thread earlier, but network execs that put just about any show up against NCIS in prime time should expect it to fail in gaining a major share of viewership. It has killed that time slot since forever, and NCIS invariably finishes in the top five/ten ratings weekly.

While I like MAOS, I know it has its issues. I want it to do well. If it doesn't, well then, we're back to the same dismal soap operas disguised as "Sci-Fi/Adventure" in television, which I presume most here do not care to watch (think "Once Upon a Time"). Failure of MAOS means moth balling any attempts by the major networks to give us something comic related with real quality.

My 2c

So, I am creating this thread now so when the show is on and afterward, we can talk about the show without a bunch of spoiler tags.

;)

-slym

I do what I want.

lol

Actually, part of the reason I did that was because one topic, I felt was beyond the scope of just the show, and could be related to future movie plots that someone would want to be surprised by. . . then, I got carried away and forgot "Spoiler" was listed in the title.

;)

-slym

I do what I want.

lol

So do I. :)

Failure of MAOS means moth balling any attempts by the major networks to give us something comic related with real quality.

Absolutely true. In terms of superhero prime-time programs on major networks, there haven't been too many. The 1950s Superman, then the late 60s Batman. There was a spurt in the late 70s following the success of Superman The Movie (Wonder Woman; Spider-Man; the Hulk (the latter the most successful of the three)), then the relatively successful Lois & Clark during the mid-90s on ABC, nothing that I recall in the 00s, and finally MAOS in 2013. So MAOS needs to succeed for other superheros to get exposure on major network television during primetime. Oh right, MAOS is supposed to be about superheros but there really aren't any. :facepalm:

"Another Ratings Skid for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ABC drama has fallen 53 percent since its premiere"

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/another-ratings-skid-marvel-s-agents-shield-153837

Edited by Bob-a-loo

The pilot was okay and the last two episodes have been improvements because the writers have finally started to develop the characters, but the episodes in between have about killed it's audience. That and the fact that we've seen few to zero actual Marvel characters appear.