• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"...Nor hell a fury like a customs dodger scorned..."

83 posts in this topic

As a Canadian who buys a lot of comics I have no issue paying the customs charge and I expect I will have to. I also request the books be insured in case something happens. Lastly I require tracking to prevent customs border theft ( which I know has happened ).

All that said, since this potential buyer was just such a nice guy, I highly recommend shipping to him using UPS.

I personally never want to see a UPS package again, but go ahead and send him his books declared at full value via UPS as they charge an astronomical customs clearing fee.

:devil:

Are you sure? Last time I tried to deposit a foreign money order -- even one in U.S. funds -- my bank told me it was a $25 fee.

Wow. Get a new bank.

I must say I've never been charged a fee if it was a money order in US funds.

Never tried a check tough.

No its true or at least its what I've consistently heard EXCEPT that USD international USPS money orders bear no fee and/or at cashable at the PO.

So. DOn't send a money order drawn on a bank. Send a MO from the PO.

My biggest issue with customs declarations and why I sometimes avoid importing certain things from the US is not the customs charges but the hamfisted customs people. I've had them ruin expensive property when declared correctly. And GOOD LUCK getting that money back. Insurance won't protect you and customs will laugh in your face and tell you they have a legal right to search the property. Meanwhile you've been bent over and your money thrown in the toilet.

It leaves me wanting to just abstain from bringing in expensive shipments. So I think there can sometimes be more to it than just 'customs dodging'.

Agreed!

I bought a limited edition Ral partha AD&D Dragon model that customs opened and apparently the contents of the box spilled all over the floor and what I received was an incomplete model. the seller assures me that what he sent was a complete model in an unopened box ( highly collectible to find one of them unopened ) and customs opened it, and then proceeded to lose parts. Thanks for that.

I bought a factory sealed video game maybe 8 years ago for $250 that was extremely difficult / quasi impossible to replace and they ripped open the plastic (tearing the box) and stuffed the contents back in haphazardly.

At today's values it would be worth $3k :frustrated: but damaged like that, maybe $400.

Unfortunately, that's happened to me four or five times.

I usually offer to pay with an RBC international US funds money order. (Royal Bank of Canada) I'm told there is no fee for cashing/depositing them. To this date, do one has told me they were charged anything to cash it.

Hey, if I could pay with Canadian cash I would. That would save me the $8 and the trip to the bank to get the money order :P

My very friendly, wonderful bank charges $60 for a foreign money order and that's if it does clear. It's a trend and makes sense condering the ease of counterfeiting. Postal MO is the way to go and the US PO just calls the Canada Post toll free number to make sure it's good. Not a bad system.

Are you sure? Last time I tried to deposit a foreign money order -- even one in U.S. funds -- my bank told me it was a $25 fee.

Wow. Get a new bank.

No its true or at least its what I've consistently heard EXCEPT that USD international USPS money orders bear no fee and/or at cashable at the PO.

At Canadian banks you can make a certified check that is drawn on a US bank, can't you?

It's not considered a foreign money order that way. At least that's what I remember the last time I did it.

Another option, if you're going to buy a lot of stuff in the US, is just get a US account through whatever Canadian bank you deal with. They all offer them...a US bank on US soil. I've been writing those checks for years and it's no different than a US check.

Wow. Get a new bank.

At Canadian banks you can make a certified check that is drawn on a US bank, can't you?

It's not considered a foreign money order that way. At least that's what I remember the last time I did it.

Another option, if you're going to buy a lot of stuff in the US, is just get a US account through whatever Canadian bank you deal with. They all offer them...a US bank on US soil. I've been writing those checks for years and it's no different than a US check.

Cheque

I bought a factory sealed video game maybe 8 years ago for $250 that was extremely difficult / quasi impossible to replace and they ripped open the plastic (tearing the box) and stuffed the contents back in haphazardly.

At today's values it would be worth $3k :frustrated: but damaged like that, maybe $400.

Unfortunately, that's happened to me four or five times.

Ugh, that is awful. What game was it?

Still able to be faked and still the fee, even though not technically a money order. (I believe.)

A few comments from a Canadian buyer that relate to posts in this thread:

- It is not a customs charge at the border, but sales tax. The governments of Canada and the provinces collects the same sales tax on foreign purchases as they would if the comic was purchased in Canada. That way it isn't cheaper for Canadians to buy outside the country.

- In some provinces there is no sales tax on books so if the package is declared as a book rather than a comic book the tax is lower (GST only I think).

- I send US dollar money orders to the US frequently without a problem. They are from the Royal Bank and it says JPMorgan Chase right on them as the US partner.

- Never use UPS to ship anything to Canada as the customs brokerage fee is huge.

- If your buying a collectible that loses value if the packaging is opened, then you should have the shipper stick a note directly to the package (inside the shipping box) explaining this. The customs people don''t have any idea what is a collectible and what isn't.

Mike

A few comments from a Canadian buyer that relate to posts in this thread:

- It is not a customs charge at the border, but sales tax. The governments of Canada and the provinces collects the same sales tax on foreign purchases as they would if the comic was purchased in Canada. That way it isn't cheaper for Canadians to buy outside the country.

- In some provinces there is no sales tax on books so if the package is declared as a book rather than a comic book the tax is lower (GST only I think).

- I send US dollar money orders to the US frequently without a problem. They are from the Royal Bank and it says JPMorgan Chase right on them as the US partner.

- Never use UPS to ship anything to Canada as the customs brokerage fee is huge.

- If your buying a collectible that loses value if the packaging is opened, then you should have the shipper stick a note directly to the package (inside the shipping box) explaining this. The customs people don''t have any idea what is a collectible and what isn't.

Mike

Great information. Thanks!

[font:Book Antiqua]Kudos to one of the best EBay USA seller (for USA & Canadian market):

comics4less

He always begin the listing of his book with a low price

and the shipping cost to Canada is always $ 5.00 dollars. (Including CGC books)[/font]

(thumbs u

5star-572x210_zps8638e29d.jpg

If his shipping is $5 to Canada, he's losing money on every sale. Keep buying form him, because he'll be out of business shortly.

[font:Book Antiqua]Kudos to one of the best EBay USA seller (for USA & Canadian market):

comics4less

He always begin the listing of his book with a low price

and the shipping cost to Canada is always $ 5.00 dollars. (Including CGC books)[/font]

(thumbs u

5star-572x210_zps8638e29d.jpg

If his shipping is $5 to Canada, he's losing money on every sale. Keep buying form him, because he'll be out of business shortly.

[font:Book Antiqua]EBay seller since 2005

7,893 positive transactions

3 neutral transactions

10 negative transactions

Maybe you should send him a Email and tell him what a loser seller he is...[/font]

:gossip: