• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The great Iron Man quagmire...

Can Iron Man survive without Downey Jr?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Can Iron Man survive without Downey Jr?

53 posts in this topic

You can't truly replace RDJ because he has similar demons to Tony Stark and has overcome them. He oozes tony stark.

I've not liked any of the Bonds since Roger Moore, who was no Sean Connery.

William Shatner is Captain Kirk, period.

Of course someone else can play Tony Stark, but I seriously doubt someone could play him 'as well' as RDJ. He does yuck it up more than Tony Stark ever would, but he's still the whole package.

I think Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever and pushes Connery down to the #2 spot. That said, Skyfall is the best Bond movie ever made.

While I do think Shatner is Kirk, Chris Pine has taken the reins well and is making the roll his own, so I have this Captain Kirk parallel universe thing going on. The same with Spock. :eek:

I think RDJ can be replaced, but he has done the roll so well it's going to be like getting a 2 year old to take a spoonful of Robitussin.

Sometimes your posts almost make me cry :(

You have no idea because you've never seen any of these movies. :baiting:

You can't truly replace RDJ because he has similar demons to Tony Stark and has overcome them. He oozes tony stark.

Of course someone else can play Tony Stark, but I seriously doubt someone could play him 'as well' as RDJ. He does yuck it up more than Tony Stark ever would, but he's still the whole package.

I think Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever and pushes Connery down to the #2 spot. That said, Skyfall is the best Bond movie ever made.

While I do think Shatner is Kirk, Chris Pine has taken the reins well and is making the roll his own, so I have this Captain Kirk parallel universe thing going on. The same with Spock. :eek:

I think RDJ can be replaced, but he has done the roll so well it's going to be like getting a 2 year old to take a spoonful of Robitussin.

Craig gives Connery a run for his money, but I enjoy both equally. Now, except for Craig, has anybody come even remotely close? Not in my book, and that's 30-40 years between really exemplary Bonds. I think Downey could be replaced and it will have to happen at some point but I doubt they’ll be able to just shoehorn anybody else in there.

I need to see every cruddy movie to have a fully informed opinion? I saw the first two Craig Bond movies...isn't that enough torture for one person?

I need to see every cruddy movie to have a fully informed opinion? I saw the first two Craig Bond movies...isn't that enough torture for one person?

Oh, sweetie. Please watch Skyfall. You're really doing yourself a disservice by not watching that one.

Think of every Bond movie you've ever loved and multiply it by 100. That's Skyfall.

Go...Go now...

Oh, sweetie. Please watch Skyfall. You're really doing yourself a disservice by not watching that one.

Think of every Bond movie you've ever loved and multiply it by 100. That's Skyfall.

Go...Go now...

Did you just ask me out? Why am I blushing? :blush:

I need to see every cruddy movie to have a fully informed opinion?

3uwnv.jpg

3uwnv.jpg

Did you go to Dan Con last weekend?

Go...Go now...

Craig plays Bond as a stonefaced killer with none of the charm, intelligence, refinement, or playfulness that we expect from Bond. Sean Connery covered the entire range of Craig's "acting skills" with just a look, or an exchange, and showed us so much more in each of his movies. Craig is scraping the bottom of the barrel along with Timothy Dalton for worst Bond, but benefits from better special effects.

Skyfall was awful, just awful. Just because they break out some of the old toys doesn't make it a Bond movie. You must be a Javier Bardem fan. While you were dazzled by his presence, the rest of us were bored to tears by him, and never bought him as a credible threat. Only Never Say Never Again was less of a Bond movie than this was.

3uwnv.jpg

Naw, missed it. Kids had activities all weekend.

3uwnv.jpg

Naw, missed it. Kids had activities all weekend.

Hopefully you can go to TCS in November.

I think there's no reason to replace RDJ.

They won't make more than lets say...3 Avengers movies total. After that they'll be done either way I suspect. Then they can either make 1 movie without him (if they really need to), or make a few more spinoffs (Hulk, Young Nick Fury, Black Panther) and let the Avengers chill for 10 years before a reboot.

Ok, we know it's coming at some point.

We've had at least a dozen different Batmen, a handful of Supermen and we're three for three with Hulks.

At some point RDJ will be replaced and someone new will take over as Tony Stark.

Is the suit strong enough to endure someone else driving it or is the entire franchise tied to a single actor?

100 PERCENT a yes!

I thought nobody could replace Jack Nicholson as the Joker, but Heath Ledger did.

I thought nobody could replace Christopher Reeve as Superman, but Henry Cavill has.

I thought nobody could replace Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man, but Andrew Garfield has.

They will probably go with a young Tony Stark or something to get around RDJ eventually leaving.

I agree but there is a huge time gap between some of those releases. If RDJ leaves we could have to sit through a pile of krappy IM movies before the next guy who can do the role properly comes around.

I think the IM franchise could continue to be successful...IF the new actor is 1)good and 2)makes the role his own. If he tries to ape what RDJ has done, it'll be a fail.

Look and the Connery/Moore/Craig back-and-forth going on here. The reason there's any a debate is because all 3 were able to in some way make the character their own, not just mimic Connery.

I think the IM franchise could continue to be successful...IF the new actor is 1)good and 2)makes the role his own. If he tries to ape what RDJ has done, it'll be a fail.

Look and the Connery/Moore/Craig back-and-forth going on here. The reason there's any a debate is because all 3 were able to in some way make the character their own, not just mimic Connery.

Hopefully whoever they get will actually play the character :wishluck:

They couldn't replace James Bond, Batman or James T. Kirk, no way they can replace Iron Man.

+1

RDJ is just too perfect for the role of Tony Stark.