• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLOD - How dead?

18 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some information on PLODs, in particular just how gruesome the death might be.

I'm not looking to sell anything, or get things slabbed, I'm just trying to figure out values for my collection for insurance purposes. I posted scans of my Avengers #1 in the PGM Forum and a couple folks noticed there was some color touching on the front cover. I'm looking for a little guidance on what this does for the value of the book. I've tried looking at some auction results on Heritage and the like, but found some inconsistencies that made it difficult.

Thanks.

Is there any general rule of thumb? GPA data is limited. I read somewhere that a restored book will never be worth more than the issue's value in VG grade. Is there any weight to that? I was slammed with my first PLOD...well PLODs because I got two (FF50 9.0 SA and a FF48 6.5 SA) in the same batch of books. I wasn't planning on selling them when I got them initially, but ehn...now I'm not so sure.

Is there any general rule of thumb? GPA data is limited. I read somewhere that a restored book will never be worth more than the issue's value in VG grade. Is there any weight to that? I was slammed with my first PLOD...well PLODs because I got two (FF50 9.0 SA and a FF48 6.5 SA) in the same batch of books. I wasn't planning on selling them when I got them initially, but ehn...now I'm not so sure.

The only "rule of thumb" with determining the value of any given PLOD is the same as that of any book. On any given day, there is either 2+ people interested in buying it, only 1 person interested, or 0. Depending on what the case is there, the price will be determined by the 2 or more biding on it, the 1 person who sets what they are willing to pay, or 0 and you sit on the book. PLODs will always sell for less than a UNIVERSAL slab of the same book/grade/page quality at that exact time, that is the only true "given".The actual % of value is a case by case book to demand and scarcity issue.

A PLOD Action #1 will demand more % value than a random Silver age slab any day.

I hope that helps in some form.

A 3.0 SA Avengers #1 is around $600-$700 (compared to $1100-$1200) A 3.5 SA Avengers #1 is around $800 (compared to $1250) so in lower grades it doesn't affect a comic as much as in higher grade comics.

Thanks, I appreciate the figures.

Makes sense...Ill probably just keep them. That is if I can get past feeling burned every time I look at the books.

I understand how you feel, looks like I probably overpaid for my Avengers #1 - maybe not a lot, since I try for a bargain when spending on something like that. But it was so long ago, and even the overpaid price doesn't hurt much now, but I can imagine what I'd think if it was more current.

I'm not much of a condition freak, so a little restoration doesn't bother me. In fact, given what I've learned here recently, I'm thinking about looking for some PLODs, maybe I can afford some of the books that are too expensive for me otherwise.

I'd say it's a source of a joy 98% of the time...I'm just in the 2% at the moment because I just found out the news this week and had a bit of a back and forth with the seller and that's never pleasant. But I'm also being semi tongue in cheek and definitely over dramatic. Considering I haven't even seen the books yet. About to do the unboxing now. Maybe it'll be love at first purpley sight! TTfitz...I just checked out your book and I'd be happy to have that in my collection no matter what color the label

That is if I can get past feeling burned every time I look at the books.

I found that every time I looked at a PLOD in the slab, no matter how good the actual booked looked, I felt depressed. Cracking it and putting it in mylar helps a little, and I stress ' a little'. Personally, I just like to sell them and move on.

I definitely think that silver age comics takes a bigger hit on restoration than golden age as supply is much more plentiful in lower grades. A restored Avengers 1 even in lower grade could lose a lot of value, but obviously it also depends on what the restoration is and the quality of the work. For instance, tear seals would have a much smaller effect (maybe a 20-25% hit) as opposed to trimming or extensive piece replacements which could have a 70%+ negative impact. But at the end of the day, it only takes one person to buy a book and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think we are going to see a lot of the stigma surrounding PLODs change in the next few years. Young collectors are going to see it as a good alternative and a way to acquire their grails.

I know I'd be fine buying a PLOD copy of AF 15 if it presented well. It'd be a way to buy a nice looking book at a much more reasonable price.

Of course, I could be totally wrong...

I think we are going to see a lot of the stigma surrounding PLODs change in the next few years. Young collectors are going to see it as a good alternative and a way to acquire their grails.

I know I'd be fine buying a PLOD copy of AF 15 if it presented well. It'd be a way to buy a nice looking book at a much more reasonable price.

Of course, I could be totally wrong...

^^

I have said it before but I have seen threads like this before so I will say it again.

Depending on what has been done to the book, I have no problem picking up certain books (especially a GA book) housed in a purple label. A purple label (cover cleaning and reinforcement) for a GA Batman book I really wanted was a perfect acquisition at a 6.5 instead of paying double that on a lower grade in a blue label.