• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

80s movie posters?

15 posts in this topic

Is anyone able to give me some advice on 80s movie posters? Some cool comic book movies and lots of scifi.

I have a customer who wants to know if I would like to buy a bunch of 80's movie posters. They have some desirable movies but I have no idea how to price them. Ebay seems to be way over infalted. Any help would be much appreciated.

I just bought a 1977 star wars (shrug)

That`s a key! (thumbs u

Its got pin holes at the 2 top corners and none on the bottom. I assume pin holes hurt?

A little,but not much. They are more forgiving in the poster world, and not as anal as comic book collectors when it comes to grading. :)

There's nothing more anal than a comic collector.

1980s posters are sort of like the market for '80s comics....there are a few keys here and there, but the majority can be had at bulk rates. Bulk lot '80s posters can be purchased in lots for $1-$3 apiece, and purchased individually in the $5-$15 range.

My shop carries original posters, but I pretty much end in the early '80s (we go back as early as the teens), as in order to display the posters, I have to put them in $10-$20 sleeves... and it's a bit difficult to sell items whose holders are worth more than the object they protect.

Sci-Fi posters are going to be a bit better than most others, however. Make sure they are original theatrical posters, though, and not video store reissues.

Is anyone able to give me some advice on 80s movie posters? Some cool comic book movies and lots of scifi.

I have a customer who wants to know if I would like to buy a bunch of 80's movie posters. They have some desirable movies but I have no idea how to price them. Ebay seems to be way over infalted. Any help would be much appreciated.

Now is a good time to sell, as these are anything but rare. If you found a collection of posters from the 40's to the late 60's in near mint condition that weren't restored, I would make a very strong offer. Of course that would also be a rare find indeed.

80's posters were actually once selling for much higher than they are right now. Unfortunately, everyone saved them. Even most Star Wars posters from the late 70's and early 80's are not hard to find...and yes, that includes the infamous but overproduced 'Revenge of the Jedi' poster that experienced a renaissance of price only to be shattered once the infamous Pawn Stars episode aired where Rick proudly proclaimed that the item is 'not all that rare.' This poster still sells well, but nowhere near its original high. This also should send a minute warning showing how speculative the overall market is thanks to reality television.

Still, I have seen some posters bringing strong prices. Science fiction and cult classics sell the best with mainstream drama coming in a close second. Who wouldn't want a poster from Wall Street or a poster declaring that 'In space no one can hear you scream!'

I did very well with a batch of 60's to early 70's posters, all folded, from an old drive in theater, so I got things like biker flicks, hard R smut, and kung fu flicks along with the usual mainstream movies. Sold many individually, bulked the balance, all good.

Bought a couple small lots of 80's and up stuff, still have nearly all of it.

Out of what was mentioned, a first release poster of Evil Dead (the original) is a good one, that's one of the few I sold out of the later lots.