• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GI JOE headquarters command center . Question

19 posts in this topic

I am sure this is a very easy question for you guys..

I have a GI JOE Headquarters...

Canadian box, Canadian flag,

Missing some pieces.. see pic...

I got this for nothing along with some star wars stuff, but it really does nothing for me.

For starters, does the Canadian Box make a difference ?

Should I buy missing pieces and sell, or just sell as is ?

what's it worth ?

I think its a hard thing to sell as shipping on a 2 foot box is kinda hard IMO.

anyways LMK your thoughts..

Thor

YOJOE_zps499f90ab.jpg

Nice comic book! :D

But seriously just sell it as is. I had the exact same dilemma with this particular Joe set and it made zero sense on every front to try and acquire all the pieces to complete the playset. Leave that work for the collector who will buy it.

Take lots of pictures, note any missing tabs (the plastic "wedges" that snap pieces together) and detail a complete list of all missing items.

Value wise I can't help you because I've been out of the Joe toy sets for some time now, but I'll guess about $100.

Forgot to add a few things:

The Canadian box is worth minimally less than the US counterpart. Looking at the value and the item's completeness it's actually probably closer to a $50 set. But like I said earlier, I'm probably off. Comicwiz and followtheleader would be the best boardies for that question.

Clean/detail everything before taking pictures and selling. It will help increase value and leave customers happy. I've seen numerous negative/neutral feedbacks where the buyer states "you could have at least cleaned it. Very dirty!".

Thanks for the notes Boboset..

I expected that answer ... really the $50-$100 doesn't even cover shipping on a box that size, so it kinda sucks, even thought it is a fun toy !

I have heard that some Canadian boxes do command a premium but I didn't think it would be too much .....

It is dirty as I like to play with it in the sand in the back yard when the kids are not home..;)

I am thinking throwing it on kijjii may be the best way to sell ....

anyone else ?

Head on over to Hisstank.com and offer it over there. It may be grabbed up quicker than you can do a public service announcement about avoiding downed power lines with your bicycle.

Head on over to Hisstank.com and offer it over there. It may be grabbed up quicker than you can do a public service announcement about avoiding downed power lines with your bicycle.

+1

Agreed. This is a great website and forum, much like Rebel Scum for SW fans, Hiss Tank is one of the best resources for GI Joe collectors and I use it myself.

There are a lot of websites devoted to other toy lines from the 80's as well. I know there is a great site I stumbled upon that is devoted to the MASK toy line and another site I found devoted to the Jurassic Park toy line from Kenner.

Personally, I credit (and thank) Jordan Hembrough of Toy Hunter fame for igniting new interest in these collecting fields. Even the original Playmates TMNT line has its own fan base and prices on the earlier 10-backs are starting to rise. This is a good sign as I loved the original TMNT line. Bebop and Rocksteady are still my favorites!

Who could forget that cartoon...'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be back after these messages!'

+1

Agreed. This is a great website and forum, much like Rebel Scum for SW fans, Hiss Tank is one of the best resources for GI Joe collectors and I use it myself.

There are a lot of websites devoted to other toy lines from the 80's as well. I know there is a great site I stumbled upon that is devoted to the MASK toy line and another site I found devoted to the Jurassic Park toy line from Kenner.

Personally, I credit (and thank) Jordan Hembrough of Toy Hunter fame for igniting new interest in these collecting fields. Even the original Playmates TMNT line has its own fan base and prices on the earlier 10-backs are starting to rise. This is a good sign as I loved the original TMNT line. Bebop and Rocksteady are still my favorites!

Who could forget that cartoon...'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be back after these messages!'

Rebelscum is quite possibly the greatest online resource for information. However, I find their buying and selling forums to be one of the worst I have ever encountered. It seems to be a haphazard mess with little to no regulation. When anyone complains about the buying and selling forum here, I often think that they have no idea what else is out there. I speak from a buying and selling perspective when I say this.

This summer I attempted to buy something from several FS threads over at Rebelscum. Very few threads had pictures, even fewer threads listed asking prices. Almost every inquiry I made was met with a "what do you want to pay for it?" response. Finally I found the last piece I needed by contacting a boardie here at the CGC boards through PM (I do not know if he wants to be named). He simply gave me his asking price and we worked from there. Blue Snaggletooth is finally in my collection.

HissTank? I really have nothing but good things to say about buying and selling over there. People have been nothing but polite and responsive with asking prices and are straight up / matter of fact about things.

No offence but the only good thing in that pic is the box. That item is stripped down of all the hard to get pieces. If someone where to bring that to me maybe offer $20-30 just because of the box. No idea where you guys are coming up with prices of $50-100 for that because that set is far from complete.

As a Canadian GI Joe collector, I can tell you the Headquarters is a pretty common box. I think the reason it is so common is, once you were done playing with the Headquarters you put it back in the box for storage (like my 2 buddies who had one back in 1983). From setting up at toy shows for the better part of 13 years now, I see one or two of these a year every year.

However the Headquarters is one of those pieces that is extremely cheap incomplete, but can go for major money if it's 100% complete with all the searchlights and cameras, unbroken tabs on the jail cell (super common), and nice stickers (poorly applied stickers on the computer system is so common with this, it's hard to find a nice one).

I have to agree with the earlier assessment of $25-35 dollars for this, hardly worth shipping it. Give it to a nephew or child, as it is a fantastic set and will give a young child a lot of play value compared to the toys from today.

Jay

+1

Rebelscum is quite possibly the greatest online resource for information. However, I find their buying and selling forums to be one of the worst I have ever encountered. It seems to be a haphazard mess with little to no regulation. When anyone complains about the buying and selling forum here, I often think that they have no idea what else is out there. I speak from a buying and selling perspective when I say this.

This summer I attempted to buy something from several FS threads over at Rebelscum. Very few threads had pictures, even fewer threads listed asking prices. Almost every inquiry I made was met with a "what do you want to pay for it?" response. Finally I found the last piece I needed by contacting a boardie here at the CGC boards through PM (I do not know if he wants to be named). He simply gave me his asking price and we worked from there. Blue Snaggletooth is finally in my collection.

HissTank? I really have nothing but good things to say about buying and selling over there. People have been nothing but polite and responsive with asking prices and are straight up / matter of fact about things.

I can't comment on buying or selling on that forum (Rebel Scum) as I don't use it for that reason. I actually buy a lot of my high end AFA graded items from well known dealers who give me discounts because I agree to buy a lot from them over time and also agree to buy their items off their websites instead of eBay so they are not hit with fees. I did buy several pieces on eBay from other sellers because I knew prices would rise. I got my vintage 21-back Greedo AFA 85 there for about $550 (straight 85 sub grades as well).

As for these selling forums, as a buyer I never had any problems. Now I only collect CGC graded books so the exact grading of the books is never an issue. I also tend to do business with well known forum members or dealers. My last two purchases were an Avengers #57 CGC 9.4 and a Batman #232 CGC 9.6; and both were great transactions in that I have nothing but praise for both sellers!

Rebel Scum is great for information though and I appreciate the candidness of the members on the site. There are a lot of helpful individuals over there with a few members that sometimes like to cause trouble (every forum has these). I can say that the mods over there are top notch and are very respectful of any issues that arise.

Just my two cents.

+1

I can't comment on buying or selling on that forum (Rebel Scum) as I don't use it for that reason. I actually buy a lot of my high end AFA graded items from well known dealers who give me discounts because I agree to buy a lot from them over time and also agree to buy their items off their websites instead of eBay so they are not hit with fees. I did buy several pieces on eBay from other sellers because I knew prices would rise. I got my vintage 21-back Greedo AFA 85 there for about $550 (straight 85 sub grades as well).

As for these selling forums, as a buyer I never had any problems. Now I only collect CGC graded books so the exact grading of the books is never an issue. I also tend to do business with well known forum members or dealers. My last two purchases were an Avengers #57 CGC 9.4 and a Batman #232 CGC 9.6; and both were great transactions in that I have nothing but praise for both sellers!

Rebel Scum is great for information though and I appreciate the candidness of the members on the site. There are a lot of helpful individuals over there with a few members that sometimes like to cause trouble (every forum has these). I can say that the mods over there are top notch and are very respectful of any issues that arise.

Just my two cents.

Oh, I think that the Mods are fine and the community is very generous and informative. I merely lay criticism on the culture surrounding the trading areas. After being exposed to the forums here, I do expect to see pictures and a price for every item offered. Over there it seems an acceptable part of the culture of that board where those two factors are in many times absent from listings.

+1

Just my two cents.

Oh, I think that the Mods are fine and the community is very generous and informative. I merely lay criticism on the culture surrounding the trading areas. After being exposed to the forums here, I do expect to see pictures and a price for every item offered. Over there it seems an acceptable part of the culture of that board where those two factors are in many times absent from listings.

I would never buy anything sight unseen (graded or not) so I fully agree with you if that is the case.

Its true though. I was looking for a part for my B-wing which I still havn't got and every single person on there was what are you willing to pay for it when I had a wtb thread..

Hisstank is a good site. Ive been on there for a few years and seems to be very civilized and everyone tries to help everyone.

Its true though. I was looking for a part for my B-wing which I still havn't got and every single person on there was what are you willing to pay for it when I had a wtb thread..

Hisstank is a good site. Ive been on there for a few years and seems to be very civilized and everyone tries to help everyone.

Well, what are you willing to pay sir?

:insane:

Well, what are you willing to pay sir?

:insane:

$1 shipped