• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Stigma with restored books

139 posts in this topic

I'm interested in whether there will be less stigma, and higher prices paid, for books with the conserved label. I'm also curious as to whether the existence of the conserved label will further stigmatize PLODs. Now, not only are they restored, they're restoration has been designated as going beyond conservation.

So is Richie Muchin! :D

:signfunny:

Here is a Batman 15 I picked up off CLINK a number of years ago. I got it for 1/6 guide. The book was just too beautiful to pass up on. The cover has been cleaned but other than that, very nice. No regrets on my part.

batman_15s.jpg

1/6 of guide....that is the game you play when you buy restored. The danger is spending too much on a restored book. Until CGC (not the) eliminates the" racial profiling" of comic books by labeling color, NOTHING IS SAFE.

At some point down the road the grading system is gonna have to reboot. One color, one nation under God.

When that happens, some form of price stability will occur and real value, not hype will control the market. If you pay 3x Guide for an unrestored 9.2. copy that is 18 TIMES the cost of a restored book.

I would limit any restored book INVESTMENT since you cant even touch or read the book to $250 MAX. If out of a CGC holder and you can read the book make it $400.

The grading system which does not count tape as repair, but allows spine realignment is going down, as well as other "currently undetectable " restoration.

and you the comic book collector, the true one is gonna pay in terms of potentially losing thousands of dollars on a 5K " restored" Bargain at 1/6 guide.

If I were a moderator on these boards I would delete this, and many of your other, post.

It is infuriating at times to read the tripe you type.

No matter how many times much more learned and passionate comic collectors than you inform you that we don't give a fat rat about what you think we should do, you continually tell us.

If you have the cake to buy unrestored Batman 1s and Tec 27s in 2013, not in the 70s, then congratulations on your financial success. All but a tiny fraction of this hobby do. The rest of us are quite happy to buy restored copies of these big books rather than not having them at all

But I don't expect you to understand Mitch, because if you were ever a comic collector that collected for the love of comics, you certainly are not one now

I bought a "cover cleaned" 7.5 slabbed copy of Batman 15 several years ago for 1'2 guide and traded it at FULL guide to a major dealer. The book had the whitest pages I'd ever seen on a GA book. Of the 5 biggest regrets, or books I wish I still had, 2 of them were restored. That Bat 15 was one of them. Mitch's focus on investment as the prime motivating factor is misguided as far as 90% of the market is concerned. I gave up on that as a motivator a long time ago. It just takes the fun out of it for me. But I guess that's me. I guess I'm just a comic geek. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I've a friend who bought an Action 1 with spine reinforcement, slight CT, and reglossing for 58K about 15 years ago. He sold it for 160K ...... not a bad return for a nasty restored book........ but I digress....

Think of it this way, if somebody offered you a free superman 1 restored, would you say no just because it's restored, probably not

Not really sure if that clears anything up because the discussion isn't whether restored books are worthless, it's how their price should relate to their unrestored counterpart

For me the reason I avoid restored books is ignorance. Not ignorance in general (though my kids might debate that one) but ignorance of what all was done to a book. If there are pieces added I can't be sure how much of the cover is original. With tear seals I'm not sure if there is a small rip that was fixed or massive tears all over the cover. If the CGC notes had more information I might be more inclined to buy restored books.

Here is a Batman 15 I picked up off CLINK a number of years ago. I got it for 1/6 guide. The book was just too beautiful to pass up on. The cover has been cleaned but other than that, very nice. No regrets on my part.

batman_15s.jpg

1/6 of guide....that is the game you play when you buy restored. The danger is spending too much on a restored book. Until CGC (not the) eliminates the" racial profiling" of comic books by labeling color, NOTHING IS SAFE.

At some point down the road the grading system is gonna have to reboot. One color, one nation under God.

When that happens, some form of price stability will occur and real value, not hype will control the market. If you pay 3x Guide for an unrestored 9.2. copy that is 18 TIMES the cost of a restored book.

I would limit any restored book INVESTMENT since you cant even touch or read the book to $250 MAX. If out of a CGC holder and you can read the book make it $400.

The grading system which does not count tape as repair, but allows spine realignment is going down, as well as other "currently undetectable " restoration.

and you the comic book collector, the true one is gonna pay in terms of potentially losing thousands of dollars on a 5K " restored" Bargain at 1/6 guide.

If I were a moderator on these boards I would delete this, and many of your other, post.

No matter how many times much more learned and passionate comic collectors than you inform you that we don't give a fat rat about what you think we should do, you continually tell us.

If you have the cake to buy unrestored Batman 1s and Tec 27s in 2013, not in the 70s, then congratulations on your financial success. All but a tiny fraction of this hobby do. The rest of us are quite happy to buy restored copies of these big books rather than not having them at all

But I don't expect you to understand Mitch, because if you were ever a comic collector that collected for the love of comics, you certainly are not one now

My opinion is backed by MARKET prices...just the facts and figures. The restored book went on a open market and a major auction house and got 1/6 of guide. Sir, that is a FACT.

You could of bought it for 1/5 of guide and you do not.

I think in this type of market conditions you can say there clearly is more stability on the unrestored side. When you buy restored, you buy "las vegas" or anything can happen.

I did not bid on the book and you did not win it either, I am not the villain here, the market is. I want to erase the purple, green and blue label. What is so bad about that. You would then see less 18X price difference. You then would see tape called for what it really is....repair

You might of sunk 100 K restored books, why encourage somebody else, a new rebirth collector buy something that is very unstable.

The over all comic book market needs stability and for what it is worth, Overstreet did just that for more years than the CGC and built the foundation of a stable price collectors market. The CGC (sorry about that) came in and said, if this book is in our container...it is worth 2x or 10x market price. No real value was created other than a third party saying the book has not been restored or been caught.

You do not have to buy restored, you can buy the reprints and enjoy reading the book, and not make an investment in them.

Your anger should be directed at the persons or companys that over hype value based on label. Just because of some cover retouching should a white page purple label book be worth 18 times less, I think not. I know the current market reality is unrestored is the SAFEST way to by a GA/SA collectors comic book for investment or collecting. That is the way of life today and the comic book market has clearly spoken.

I am not saying do not buy any restored comic books, I am merely saying for INVESTMENT do not buy them. There are 1000's of GREAT GA/SA restored books under $400 bucks.

If that opinion makes me not a true comic book collector, then I suggest you take it up with 1000's of other collectors who have bought and paid a premium for unrestored books since CGC has come onto the comic book market and established what is or is not restored.

PS: One Color label- which confirms it is a original comic book.

Grading 1-10....with any kind of repair or restoration considered when grading including pressing, taping, staple repair etc.

Have CGC make a small charge to change out the plastic container and shipping costs and we have a better comic book world......a real sanity for price difference will slowly change back to normal market conditions and evolve into a safe and stable market for all comic book collectors.

For the lucky ones.....yea, there were some good buys, but the unlucky ones outweigh them..like the guy that got 1/6 guide and had to pay auction houses fees and shipping to them....Like I say its Las Vegas.....the house does not ALWAYS win, but...... But why start now....with GA key prices at a all time high.....a real shoot.

I agree, I think on another thread I posted a list of good buys, but it would seem safer to go down in grade, rather then risk restored given the unstable maker conditions. Plus when you buy a book big, you need to have staying power or holding power to make up for that 10%-20% auction markup or resale if you need sell asap.

Bat1 is an investment....restored or unrestored. I agree. I like Cap 1, even restored because there is still a lot of play in that book, but Green Lantern #11 GA restored....look out.

Mitch is just ignorant when it comes to restored books. He just doesn't get it.

His ignorance is staggering if he thinks paying 1/6th of guide for a high grade slightly restored main stream GA book is too much.I will happily buy every book on my want list under that scenario,crack them all out and fully enjoy them cover to cover,smiling every time I think of Mitch claiming I over paid.

batman_15s.jpg

My opinion is backed by MARKET prices...just the facts and figures. The restored book went on a open market and a major auction house and got 1/6 of guide. Sir, that is a FACT.

You could of bought it for 1/5 of guide and you do not.

I think in this type of market conditions you can say there clearly is more stability on the unrestored side. When you buy restored, you buy "las vegas" or anything can happen.

I did not bid on the book and you did not win it either, I am not the villain here, the market is. I want to erase the purple, green and blue label. What is so bad about that. You would then see less 18X price difference. You then would see tape called for what it really is....repair

You might of sunk 100 K restored books, why encourage somebody else, a new rebirth collector buy something that is very unstable.

The over all comic book market needs stability and for what it is worth, Overstreet did just that for more years than the CGC and built the foundation of a stable price collectors market. The CGC (sorry about that) came in and said, if this book is in our container...it is worth 2x or 10x market price. No real value was created other than a third party saying the book has not been restored or been caught.

You do not have to buy restored, you can buy the reprints and enjoy reading the book, and not make an investment in them.

Your anger should be directed at the persons or companys that over hype value based on label. Just because of some cover retouching should a white page purple label book be worth 18 times less, I think not. I know the current market reality is unrestored is the SAFEST way to by a GA/SA collectors comic book for investment or collecting. That is the way of life today and the comic book market has clearly spoken.

I am not saying do not buy any restored comic books, I am merely saying for INVESTMENT do not buy them. There are 1000's of GREAT GA/SA restored books under $400 bucks.

If that opinion makes me not a true comic book collector, then I suggest you take it up with 1000's of other collectors who have bought and paid a premium for unrestored books since CGC has come onto the comic book market and established what is or is not restored.

PS: One Color label- which confirms it is a original comic book.

Grading 1-10....with any kind of repair or restoration considered when grading including pressing, taping, staple repair etc.

Have CGC make a small charge to change out the plastic container and shipping costs and we have a better comic book world......a real sanity for price difference will slowly change back to normal market conditions and evolve into a safe and stable market for all comic book collectors.

If you mean that a blue label book will appreciate faster than a purple label book? and if you are trying to make money on the books, MAYBE you have a point...but they probably go up proportionally, with the purple label being less of an investment and Bill is right on point, there are few collectors who have that kind of cash...and these people don't view comics as a type of CD..

What's really scaring me is I think I understand what you are saying about the label . I would love to see one label with a detailed grading explanation. I think it would solve many problems for collectors. No grade points for twisting, shrinking and otherwise unnecessarily torturing perfectly lovely books.

That would solve the problem of people who don't understand what restoration was done, too.

What really drives me crazy is seeing a green llabel 7.0 MISSING a centerfold....what's 7.0 about a book that is incomplete?

One label, guaranteeing it's a genuine comic with the following defects would make me as a collector, very happy...however, it's not going to happen.

CGC makes money having more resubs...and if there really is going to be a new label for "conserved" comics, it's going to start all over again with purple books being resubbed to get hot pink, or whatever color they chose.

BTW, kudos to Bill for a non sexist rant ..."cake" ...I love it:) :foryou: