• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edmonton Expo 2013 comic convention highlights

167 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

The 2013 Edmonton Comic and Entertainment Expo has wrapped up. In addition to this thread you can also find board member Gyro's review here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7052233#Post7052233

Set up was Friday the 27th, and the Clobberin' Time crew had one heck of a booth for this years show. Clobberin' Time is Ryan ( Kimik ), Brian ( 500club ), Dave ( thehumantorch ) and myself Karl ( Artboy99 ). We got 4 booths side by side for this expo and the organizer's didn't fill the last booth right beside us so they let us have that one as well. This was the largest display we 4 have had yet, and here is some pics..

ClobBoothB_zps219c6bf0.jpg

Dave and I used our spinner racks and packaged sets of books from a large collection we acquired. We thought this would be a cool way to market the sets and utilize space efficiently. The spinners were successful.

ClobSpinners_zps981c1f1c.jpg

Our booth had tons of table space, in addition to the 6 8 foot long tables provided by the show we brought in 6 six foot long tables and 2 four footers. We like to have both boxes of books available for people to dig/ browse and have some books laid flat for easy viewing:

ClobTablea_zpsf53bc5da.jpg

ClobBooth_zpsb95a8f8a.jpg

ClobberBooth_zpscba1d6c9.jpg

ClobTableB_zps56a6b678.jpg

ClobTableC_zps684e7675.jpg

ClobTableD_zps753d3551.jpg

We had many sales of new 52 3D covers for around $10-12. Edmonton really got shorted on those covers from Diamond. While trying to buy the books locally I would arrive at LCS as they opened and find myself in a frenzy with the 5-6 other people grabbing books off the shelves. If you were 15 minutes late you didn't get a copy. If you had a file even some of those didn't get certain books.

Other books that sold well for me was anything in the 5-20 dollar range. Bigger sales for me were my ASM 100, ASM 122, ASM 300, All 3 of my Hulk 181's a whole heap of the sets that Dave and I put together and my Famous Funnies... I will miss it:

CLobBooksale_zpsaf3d16f8.jpg

The other books I was seeking this weekend were the books I was missing in my Marvel Value Stamp collection. I have been working on this set in a lacklustre fashion for several years, more so because I could never seem to find the Marvel Value Stamp Booklet to go with them. I was seeking a booklet that had not been used, and all the ones I could find had the stamps already in them. My plan was to get an un-used book, acquire all the books with the stamps, and leave the booklet unfilled. I finally managed to acquire an un-used booklet off Heritage recently, and I can say with great pride I managed to find all the books I needed to finish my set this weekend. Here is the Marvel Value Stamp collection!

:cloud9:

MarvelValueStampcollection_zps190a221b.jpg

I had several girls buying comics from me yet again. See Dave, girl's do buy comics!

:baiting:

This well dressed Riddler picked up a DC 3D cover and was so taken with the Cheetah that she discussed that she will be making that costume for next years show. Will be great to see!Girlsbuycomics4_zpsb581287a.jpg

These 2 youngsters browsed my bargain books boxes for awhile, and they bought some books. I find it rather cool a 14 year old girl is buying a Hulk comic from 1969!

Girlsbuycomics2_zpse30cb9f6.jpg

Girlsbuycomics3_zps8907fcc2.jpg

Great stuff Artboy! Thanks for the pictures (thumbs u

Looks like a nice selection of books. Any idea what the attendance might have been?

it was announced at 27000, which is double what the show did in it's inaugural debut last year.