• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM Cameo Covers

36 posts in this topic

Strange Tales Annual #2

Fantastic Four Annual #1

Strange Tales #115

Daredevil #1

Tales to Astonish #57

The Avengers #11

Fantastic Four Annual #3

Daredevil #16

Daredevil #27

X-Men #35

Fantastic Four #73

Doctor Strange #179

Daredevil #54

Captain America #137

Daredevil #77

Captain America #138

Sub Mariner #40

Avengers Annual #5

All great one, someone post some.

TTA57.jpg

Great cover, but it's funny that Jack could never get Spidey's costume right. Besides this one, he left off the front spider symbol on the Strange Tales annual, and of course the coloring error on Avengers 11.

I wonder if Ditko had to make any corrections when he inked Jack's covers on AF15 or ASM 1?

Great cover, but it's funny that Jack could never get Spidey's costume right. Besides this one, he left off the front spider symbol on the Strange Tales annual, and of course the coloring error on Avengers 11.

I wonder if Ditko had to make any corrections when he inked Jack's covers on AF15 or ASM 1?

Not only could Jack not get the costume right, he could not capture the essence of what Spidey was. Is there a single scene, panel, cover or sequence where he captures him as fluidly and as graceful as Ditko, Romita, Kane or Andru did?

If so, I don't remember it.

Jack is arguably the king in his field but he couldn't do Spidey justice for whatever reason.

Not only could Jack not get the costume right, he could not capture the essence of what Spidey was. Is there a single scene, panel, cover or sequence where he captures him as fluidly and as graceful as Ditko, Romita, Kane or Andru did?

Jack is arguably the king in his field but he couldn't do Spidey justice for whatever reason.

I was thinking that, too. Jack just never had him looking right. Purely speculative, but I might venture a guess that he didn't like drawing Spidey. His renditions all seem uninspired - which is atypical of his work on countless other characters.

I was thinking that, too. Jack just never had him looking right. Purely speculative, but I might venture a guess that he didn't like drawing Spidey. His renditions all seem uninspired - which is atypical of his work on countless other characters.

I was thinking the same thing. If there was some inter-Marvel rivalry, is it possible that he purposefully didn't get the Spider-man costume right?

I mean, come on - I've been getting right since I remember drawing Spidey for the first time at age 5 or 6!

These are hardly great (imo) covers but they hold special nostalgic value for me. About the coolest thing I could imagine back in those days was having Spidey be an Avenger. :cry:

Avengers_Vol_1_236.jpg

Avengers_Vol_1_237.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. If there was some inter-Marvel rivalry, is it possible that he purposefully didn't get the Spider-man costume right?

I mean, come on - I've been getting right since I remember drawing Spidey for the first time at age 5 or 6!

Maybe some rivalry there of some sort that manifested in some passive-aggresiveness - perhaps if Jack felt snubbed by having his visual of Spidey rejected by Stan and he carried that with him any time there was a Spidey crossover, which manifested in a half-hearted attempt at drawing the character. I think everyone can pretty much relate with this concept.

I have one and would like to add more, but I'm drawing a blank on what others are out there.

Post away if you have any.

9957728914_82888f58d5_b.jpg

While I still think this is a great cover, has anyone else noticed that perhaps the concentric circles in Spider-Man's web were supposed to be pencil guidelines for the spiral threads, but not necessarily inked? Also the radial threads continued out after the spiral threads doubled in size. Those radial lines should have stopped less than half way out.

Kirby was pretty busy then, and I've always thought that he didn't have time to erase these circles and lines, and Ayers (or perhaps Stone?) didn't know to leave them out.

There's even the little dot in the center from the inking compass :grin: