• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: High Grade Epic Illustrated lot, '60s fanzines lot - FINAL REDUCTIONS (p.2)!

12 posts in this topic

10/4 update: :news: SEE REMAINING ITEMS AT DEEP DISCOUNTS ON PAGE 2...

Up for sale tonight…a small batch of odds-and-ends: various magazines, a poster book, early fanzines, a vintage hardcover, and maybe a few other goodies.

----------------------------------------

SHIPPING:

• Shipping is FREE in the US for this thread.

• Sorry -- NO international shipping for these items.

TERMS:

:takeit: in the thread rules.

• NO probies, HOS'ers, etc.

• PayPal is the ONLY form of payment I'll accept for this sale.

***IMPORTANT:*** Payment is due within 3 days of the PM invoice date -- no exceptions. If you require more time, please PM me FIRST before committing to buy.

• I usually ship within one or two days of receipt of payment; sometimes the same day, if I'm working from home!

Need larger scans? Detail pics? Interior pics? More info? Please feel free to PM me.

Finally, my feedback thread is located here (under my old username, but it's still me) -- as a former US Postal Service employee, I tend to get very high marks for my packaging and shipping, mostly because I know what NOT to do. . .! :grin:

My feedback thread!

I'll start the listings in a few minutes...

Thanks for looking! -Mike

DC Super Heroes Poster Book: Published by Harmony Books in 1978, this is an oversized (11.25" x 15.25"), softcover collection of 22 full-color posters, each featuring a different DC hero, villain, or group shot, as drawn by Neal Adams, Joe Kubert, Carmine Infantino, Curt Swan, Kurt Schaffenberger, and others (with an introduction by Isaac Asimov). Posters are printed on one side, on high quality gloss stock, and blank on the back. See pics below for some sample images.

I don't remember seeing this book for sale back in the '70s (though I do remember seeing house ads for it in some DC titles at the time), but I know for a fact that the posters are often removed and sold individually on eBay, in the $15 to $40 range each, as "Vintage 1978 DC pin up posters". If you've seen those for sale, THIS book is where they come from.

I have no idea how many of these books survived with all the posters in-tact; I do know that this copy, which is 100% complete, took me a VERY long time to find.

The book has some shelf wear; dings/creases at the spine; a dust-shadow along the rhs of the front cover; price sticker residue in the logo area (in the "S" in "HEROES"); a used bookstore price written lightly in pencil on the title page; and other general wear (see pics below). Binding is solid and completely in-tact, and all interior pages are firmly attached. The posters themselves are all extremely glossy, clean, and bright with no defects whatsoever other than some very minor blunting to the outer corners.

This book doesn't come up for sale all that often, and the few I have seen offered are usually pretty beat up.

SOLD!!!

DCposter1.jpg

DCposter2.jpg

DCposter3.jpg

DCposter4.jpg

DCposter5.jpg

DCposter6.jpg

DCposter7.jpg

DCposter8.jpg

DCposter9.jpg

Epic Illustrated lot: Includes issues #2 - 10 (1980 - 1981). Marvel's answer to Heavy Metal!

These are higher grade copies (VF/NM or better)--from the same original owner collection--with just minor storage wear. All appear to be old store stock, and look un-read/un-retailed to me.

Lots of great art and stories in these! Neal Adams, Jim Starlin, Rick Veitch, Steve Bissette, P. Craig Russell, Howard Chaykin, Michael Golden, Tim Conrad, Charles Vess, John Buscema, John Bolton, etc. #10 also features the first appearance of Marada the She-Wolf by Claremont and Bolton. Awesome covers by Corben, Gulacy, Adams, Kaluta, Barry Smith, the Bros. Hildebrandt and others.

9 magazines total.

$60 BOXED, shipped, and insured in the US for the lot.

:news:NOW: $50 BOXED, shipped, and insured in the US for the lot.

Epic02.jpg

Epic06.jpg

Epic07.jpg

here are the rest of the scans -- click on the thumbnails below for larger images…

th_Epic03.jpg th_Epic04.jpg th_Epic05.jpg th_Epic08.jpg th_Epic09.jpg th_Epic10.jpg

Comix: A History of Comic Books in America HC: Bonanza Books, 1971.

One of the earliest--and still one of the most readable--histories of the comic book form in the US, from the pre-Golden Age era through to the (then) contemporary Underground movement, written by the late Les Daniels.

In addition to Daniels' analysis, you also get choice reprints of full stories from the various eras, including Superman from Action Comics #60, Sheena from Jumbo Comics, Blackhawk by Bill Ward, Plastic Man by Jack Cole, a pre-code crime story, Donald Duck by Carl Barks, a Haunt of Fear story by Graham Ingels, the Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett, Captain America by Syd Shores and Al Avison, plus: the first appearance of Dr. Strange; a Steranko horror yarn; stories from Warren mags and various undergrounds; and a lot more. Text and comics stories are b&w with an 8-page color section.

We've got a universe of comics material (literally) at our fingertips these days, so I guess it's hard to imagine how cool this book must have been back in the early '70s: a well-written pop history/survey and a collection of reprints in a wide variety of genres, and from an even wider variety of publishers. I doubt that something like this could even be produced today due to the licensing issues!

Bottom line? For my money, this is one of the BIG THREE vintage comics history books, right up there with Steranko's "History of Comics" (both volumes), and Jules Feiffer's reminiscence "The Great Comic Book Heroes". No serious comics library is complete without it.

Dust jacket is rough; the book itself is solid with just some light foxing along the edges of the covers. 100% complete.

SOLD!!!

Comix1.jpg

Comix2.jpg

Comix3.jpg

Comix4.jpg

Comix5.jpg

Comix6.jpg

Comix7.jpg

Comix8.jpg

Comix9.jpg

Rocket's Blast Specials 1 & 8: Two classic fanzines from the Golden Age of Fandom!

Special #1 is a 3rd printing from 1967, and spotlights the Timely heroes (12 pages including covers); Special #8 (20 pages including covers) is a Fawcett showcase from ca. 1970, and features a wraparound Captain Marvel cover by Don Newton, a 2-page comic story re-telling Cap's origin (several years before DC would revive the character), and interior pin-ups of Sivana and Mr. Mind, also by Newton.

#1 is F/VF with two small spine splits at the top and bottom; #8 is VF+.

$50 shipped and insured in the US for both fanzines.

:news:NOW: $40 shipped and insured in the US for both fanzines.

RocketsBlastSpec1-a-1.jpg

RocketsBlastSpec1-b-1.jpg

RocketsBlastSpec8-a.jpg

RocketsBlastSpec8-b.jpg

RocketsBlastSpec8-c.jpg

Misc. Horror Magazine Lot: Includes the following…

• Monsters Unleashed #3: Classic Adams cover. Reprints the origin of the Man Thing from Savage Tales #1 by Gray Morrow, plus classic Atlas/Marvel horror stories, alongside new material by Gil Kane and George Tuska. Fine-.

Psycho #9: A macabre '72 Skywald with art by Jeff Jones. VG.

Famous Monsters of Filmland #52: Cool Barnabas Collins/Dark Shadows cover from 1968, plus a "Planet of the Apes" movie preview. VG-.

SOLD!!!

MonstersUnleashed3.jpg

Psycho9.jpg

FamousMonsters52.jpg

Evel Knievel Promo/Giveaway Comic: Produced by Marvel comics for Ideal Toys in 1974: 16-pages of glorious '70s silliness which also manages to cram nearly every EK toy produced by Ideal at the time into the storyline. Inside back cover is a black-and-white photo pinup of Mr. Knievel himself.

This copy looks F/VF or so and presents nicely, but there's a small, unnecessary piece of tape on the cover which wraps around to the inside. Centerfold is loose from the top staple, but attached to the bottom.

$15 shipped and insured in the US.

EvelKnievel-a.jpg

EvelKnievel-b.jpg

Prices on everything (except the Evel Knievel promo) have been reduced, and shipping is still free in the US.

Here's a summary of the price changes:

DC Super Heroes Poster Book: was $225 NOW: $175 shipped. SOLD!!!

HG Epic Illustrated lot of 9: was $60 NOW: $50 shipped.

Comix: A History of Comic Books in America HC: was $18 NOW: $15 shipped. SOLD!!!

Rocket's Blast Specials 1 & 8 lot: was $50 NOW: $40 shipped.

Misc Horror Magazine lot of 3: was $20 NOW: $15 shipped. SOLD!!!

Evel Knievel Promo/Giveaway Comic: still $15 shipped.

Okay...let's try 25% OFF the discounted price listed below for the DC Poster Book, and 10% OFF the rest of the (discounted) prices listed below.

And...shipping is still FREE in the US...

Here's a summary of the price changes:

DC Super Heroes Poster Book: was $225 NOW: $175 shipped. SOLD!!!

Comix: A History of Comic Books in America HC: was $18 NOW: $15 shipped. SOLD!!!

Misc Horror Magazine lot of 3: was $20 NOW: $15 shipped. SOLD!!!

Evel Knievel Promo/Giveaway Comic: still $15 shipped.

The DC Poster Book has SOLD via PM.

Here are new reduced group prices for the remaining items:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take BOTH magazine lots for $45 SHIPPED in the US:

Misc Horror Magazine lot of 3: was $20 NOW: $15 shipped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take BOTH comics history lots for $40 SHIPPED in the US:

Comix: A History of Comic Books in America HC: was $18 NOW: $15 shipped.

Evel Knievel Promo/Giveaway Comic: still $15 shipped. FREE w/the purchase of any lot!

• Comix: A History of Comic Books in America HC -- SOLD via PM!

• Misc Horror Magazine lot of 3 -- SOLD via PM!

Anyone want to make an offer on the remaining items?

HG Epic Illustrated lot of 9

Rocket's Blast Specials 1 & 8 lot

Evel Knievel Promo/Giveaway Comic

Here are the final mark-downs for this thread -- and remember that shipping is still FREE in the US!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

click on the thumbnail images below for larger scans...

Epic Illustrated lot: Includes issues #2 - 10 (1980 - 1981) -- all VF/NM or better.

9 magazines total.

$35 shipped and insured in the US -- that's less than $4 each for some VERY nice copies from over 30 years ago!!! :screwy:

th_Epic02.jpg th_Epic03.jpg th_Epic04.jpg th_Epic05.jpg th_Epic06.jpg th_Epic07.jpg th_Epic08.jpg th_Epic09.jpg th_Epic10.jpg

Rocket's Blast Specials 1 & 8: Two classic fanzines from the Golden Age of Fandom! Special #1 (F/VF) is a 3rd printing from 1967, and spotlights the Timely heroes (12 pages including covers); Special #8 (VF+, 20 pages including covers) is a Fawcett showcase from ca. 1970 with a great cover and interior art by Don Newton.

$28 shipped and insured in the US.

th_RocketsBlastSpec1-a-1.jpg th_RocketsBlastSpec1-b-1.jpg th_RocketsBlastSpec8-a.jpg th_RocketsBlastSpec8-b.jpg th_RocketsBlastSpec8-c.jpg

Evel Knievel Promo/Giveaway Comic: F/VF or so and presents nicely, but there's a small, unnecessary piece of tape on the cover which wraps around to the inside. Centerfold is loose from the top staple, but attached to the bottom.

FREE with the purchase of either lot!

th_EvelKnievel-a.jpg th_EvelKnievel-b.jpg