• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is better? SS exclusive opps or book limits?

188 posts in this topic

One thing that I want to throw out there as it relates to discussions of "middle men," is that, if you are in this game for any significant period of time, you will find that there are a lot of super cool guys that love comics just as much as you do.

I can't count the number of times that I have been helped by far too many people to list. One of my favorite things is when I finally have the opportunity to pay them back. One of the great guys in this section of the hobby is Joel Elad. He has done so many things for me, and half the time he doesn't even know it because it is coming through the hands of another facilitator.

At Chicago, Joel was working like an eight-armed Hindu deity at the CGC table. He heard that I was going to get Robert Rodriguez and asked if I could get his stuff done. I came back an hour and half later, Joel was still working like a dog. The heartfelt thank you and handshake I got from him made me feel like I gave a little back to a guy who had been helping me on the West Coast for years.

I say all that to say this - In all the discussion about getting the books done, it is easy to slough over the yeoman's work that so many of these guys do, and have done for years. Much love and thanks to all of the pioneers and early adopters who blazed the trail for all of us.

Right on the money.

One of the big disappointments for me in all of this has been that I am unable to repay any of the favors done for me. With no dealer account and enough phobias and neuroses to keep me from traveling, the best I can do is keep up the list. It's not much, but it is what I can do.

I have had some people do some incredible favors for me and I appreciate it! Maybe someday I will find a way to repay some of them.....

One thing that I want to throw out there as it relates to discussions of "middle men," is that, if you are in this game for any significant period of time, you will find that there are a lot of super cool guys that love comics just as much as you do.

I can't count the number of times that I have been helped by far too many people to list. One of my favorite things is when I finally have the opportunity to pay them back. One of the great guys in this section of the hobby is Joel Elad. He has done so many things for me, and half the time he doesn't even know it because it is coming through the hands of another facilitator.

At Chicago, Joel was working like an eight-armed Hindu deity at the CGC table. He heard that I was going to get Robert Rodriguez and asked if I could get his stuff done. I came back an hour and half later, Joel was still working like a dog. The heartfelt thank you and handshake I got from him made me feel like I gave a little back to a guy who had been helping me on the West Coast for years.

I say all that to say this - In all the discussion about getting the books done, it is easy to slough over the yeoman's work that so many of these guys do, and have done for years. Much love and thanks to all of the pioneers and early adopters who blazed the trail for all of us.

Right on the money.

One of the big disappointments for me in all of this has been that I am unable to repay any of the favors done for me. With no dealer account and enough phobias and neuroses to keep me from traveling, the best I can do is keep up the list. It's not much, but it is what I can do.

I have had some people do some incredible favors for me and I appreciate it! Maybe someday I will find a way to repay some of them.....

Three words - Wizard. World. Tulsa.

Right on the money.

Three words - Wizard. World. Tulsa.

Three big hopes there... I hope it happens. I hope I can control myself enough to attend. I hope it is just like any other Wizard show.

He has a customer rewards program. I've qualified for a jovial pat on the back next time.

I need 200 more points for "bro hug." It may take me a year, but I am saving up for "sympathetic heiny rub."

He has a customer rewards program. I've qualified for a jovial pat on the back next time.

I need 200 more points for "bro hug." It may take me a year, but I am saving up for "sympathetic heiny rub."

You can only qualify for those by submitting to private sketch opps.

Oh, I know when I'm getting one of your books, that's why I add the Joel secret sauce, I'm amazed the grades don't drop on those... :)

As for the point of this thread, there is a lot that can be said, and while I am known for the "Elad-long" post, I think comix4fun has said a lot of it beautifully. Why does a lot of these private signings happen this way? Because CGC can act as the "unifying force" or the one thing that is in common with a clear majority of books coming a creator's way. By CGC stepping in and saying, "If you want an SS designation, go here", if it can help funnel 80-90% or whatever number to a controlled environment, it can have good effects. I have SEEN those effects firsthand, and as a matter of full disclosure, I personally have been PUSHING for systems like this for years. I have said it before and I will say it again, this running around a show, standing in lines, etc, is Mickey Mouse BS and is NOT a business.

Now, CGC used to take in books in the past, handle it themselves in the hopes of grouping them together, approaching creators once a show, etc, but there were flaws with that system and they are trying their current system. There have been attempts at having creators sign at the CGC booth, so a fan can have their book signed and then SS graded without a facilitator getting involved. Perhaps at the bigger shows that can happen again, but remember, it is up to the creator having time and willing to leave their booth, CGC having enough time to publicize the signing, and so on. My advice - you want that to happen in the future, pick specific creators (especially ones that have a relationship with CGC or a facilitator) and ask CGC by demonstrating how many books you would bring to the table to help make that happen. I apologize now if this advice creates more problems in the future. :)

Transplant, bottom line, it is my opinion that we have moved into an environment where the types of signings you would like to have are not always feasible. The amount of entitlement and circumventing of the rules absolutely sickens me, and the creators are getting FED UP. Their job in life is NOT to sign our comic books, exactly the way we want it. Spend the time at the convention talking to the creator, and then, if you have to have your book signed and graded, observe the posted signing guidelines for that creator. There are just too many examples that can be mentioned of how any particular system can work against someone. Trust me, I've been to too many shows, worked too many times, and seen more than I care to comment on.

In the words of Spock: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one." It's a snarky answer to this problem, but in reality, it's the way it's gotta function.

The amount of entitlement and circumventing of the rules absolutely sickens me, and the creators are getting FED UP. Their job in life is NOT to sign our comic books, exactly the way we want it.

Thank You.

Just because a facilitator has chosen to take in 'X' amount of books, doesn't mean the creator has to sign them. I can't tell you how many times I've seen mini-tantrums on the show floor when a Facilitator finds out about a book limit or a per book fee he didn't research. Usually this plays out with the creator's handler but I'm sure that a lot of the creators find out about it.

Some of the melt downs have been Epic lol

I can not understand why some facilitators take in work loads they can't handle. Especially at bigger shows. If you can't handle the books, don't take the books in.

My 2 cents,

In a way I wish more artists and creators spent more time signing. Not so much as signing without thought or anything but making things really standout for those of us that take the extra effort and see them personally. Many people travel to see these artists and writers so to simply scribble an unreadable signature and say next kind of sucks when I have spent a few hundred on plane tickets, a few hundred on hotel reservations for the weekend, if its a Wizard World a few hundred on gaining entry, not to mention the cost of the comics themselves. For me, I say add a little something. On a poster I have in my man cave Dennis O'Neil wrote a short amazing quote from Batman 251 "Don't you see the joke?" this in addition to signing it to me. Yes it was personalized but he stepped out of the shadow of the continous signing without thought pattern that so many do. Its this opportunity that sending through an op kills. There is no personal memory for that individual.

I happily utilize Doug and Glynn's services as well as Torey Quella's and a few others to gain what I can when I can't do it. For me and for these times I say set up an op to help these facilitators out. But I also say set a table limit so those of us who travel from place to place aren't cheated out of this opportunity.

Example: The NYCC is offering a Walking Dead op to get a few things signed. While not a huge fan of the series by any stretch I did notice that there was only one way in order to gain SS possibilities with the Con exclusives and even then its capped out at 25 individuals. Why not open it to people at the Con but yet cap it at say 2 per individual who stands in line. If a guy wants more than 2 get back in line over and over. Good luck with that... But for those who pay to travel their and have a chance to talk to the artist it just sucks that they can't get something more personal done on the spot and still enjoy the CGC SS possibilities....

As far as creators go, Stan Lee and his team make sure they get theirs. Everyone pays CGC or not and you can't blame him.

Yeah, and Neal Adams was charging $20 per each and every signature this past weekend in Dallas. I don't think he had more than 10-15 people in his line any time I bothered to look, which is a shame. But I think he found, and crossed, his price point. Steranko charged $5 per signature ($10 per CGC SS) at the same show in May and his line was always stacked.

I have no problem paying for signatures, but at some level you do hit diminishing returns if you're a creator. Stan obviously hasn't gotten there yet, but it seems like others will continue to test their price points until they find what the market will, or won't, bear.