• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is better? SS exclusive opps or book limits?

188 posts in this topic

It seems that, more and more, I'm noticing creators and boardies and CGC announce that all SS opps at a particular show must be done at a particular (usually offsite) signing.

I understand the stated motivation of clearing the lines for more interaction with non-dealer type fans. I don't necessarily agree that was the problem to begin with, but c'est la vie. I'm curious what people think of the practice and whether there aren't better alternatives for these creators to address these perceived problems.

I was looking forward to having Chris Claremont sign some books for me in Chicago. But, when I found out I couldn't meet him and chat while my books were being signed and still have them SS'd, I only subbed 2 books instead. 2 books that didn't really mean much and are really kind of an inside joke. But, for the MGN #5 9.8 that I have that I was considering having SS'd and, at the same time explaining to Mr. Claremont how important that story was to me growing up, I decided to pass.

Surely there is a happy middle somewhere? Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill?

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill?

I think it is a valid question/concern. But the idea that this somehow "keeps you" from meeting and interacting with Claremont is not really valid. Bifurcating the SS from the meeting/interacting with Claremont doesn't keep you from going up to Claremont, shaking his hand, and relating how his work enriched your youth.

I think it is a valid question/concern. But the idea that this somehow "keeps you" from meeting and interacting with Claremont is not really valid. Bifurcating the SS from the meeting/interacting with Claremont doesn't keep you from going up to Claremont, shaking his hand, and relating how his work enriched your youth.

Which doesn't then prevent Claremont from backing away slowly, never turning his back, or making any sudden movements.

Never said it "kept me" from meeting or talking with him. I was saying that, since the 2 were going to be disconnected, I chose not to have those books signed or SS'd.

Never said it "kept me" from meeting or talking with him. I was saying that, since the 2 were going to be disconnected, I chose not to have those books signed or SS'd.

Well, then you are a dork.

It does detract from the efficiency and overall enjoyment of the experience for me.

I wish it was simply a strict book limit along with private signings. In Kirkman's case it was definitely the 1st 5 in his NYCC line (all boardies) that was the final motivation to handle all CGC through private signings. In some of the recent examples it is to "guarantee" the artist/rep gets their share. Hopefully in both cases it is a knee jerk reaction that will evolve over time.

The separation between "fans" and "CGC" is not good IMO.

Well, then you are a dork.

I have considered your well argued discourse and would respond thusly. Poop on you.

I wish it was simply a strict book limit along with private signings. In Kirkman's case it was definitely the 1st 5 in his NYCC line (all boardies) that was the final motivation to handle all CGC through private signings. In some of the recent examples it is to "guarantee" the artist/rep gets their share. Hopefully in both cases it is a knee jerk reaction that will evolve over time.

Completely agree.

I think it's ridiculous that if I want to get 1 book signed by a certain creator, it needs to go through the hands of somebody else (and line their pockets on the way) even though I'm physically present at the show and could easily handle everything myself.

It's a sad state for the industry that more & more modern creators seem to get locked into deals like this ... I don't blame a hot writer or artist for trying to make money off their signature - they can charge whatever they want and I'll either pay it or not - but I have zero interest in having to bring my single book to your table between the hours of 5:30 and 5:45 on a Saturday, pay you your signing fee and also grease the pocket of your artist rep simply because I want to get my book CGC'ed.

I prefer having an actual member of CGC witnessing signing that I have a hand in.

I don't like using a Third-Party witness who jacks up prices to fill their coffers. I use these people but I'm not crazy about going that route but it is what it is. If I can't make it to a Con that they will be at, I'll bite the bullet and use their services. Otherwise, I do all the hardwork myself to get sigs for free or use my cash to pay any creators looking to be compensated.

The fact is that the more people who are into CCG, the more organized you're forced to be otherwise it can be a huge mess. WALKING DEAD is huge right now so everyone from the Fanboy to the layman who enjoys the shows wants an autograph. To control the CGC Sig Seekers, they have to implement measures that would satisfy them as well as the creator who simply wants to sign & meet fans. Creators don't want to face some guy from a Thrid-Party organization whose sole purpose is to get 70 copies of a book signed. Creators aren't in the business for that.

Some people, like Neal Adams, J. Scott Campbell & Chris Claremont, know the deal & want their piece of the pie. As such, they charge for their signatures.

If you want to speak to someone you admire, do that. Don't then start a dialogue while trying to get something CGCed as that smells of desperation.

I don't mess around. If I want your sig, I'll get it be it free or paid. If I want to get a trade signed and ask about their work, that's different.

Do I like going through a 3rd party to get books signed? No but that's just how it is.

Those out for profit get in the way of real fans all the time.

I see "real fans" going up to creators with a shortbox of raw books, stacks of graphic novels, an entire box of trading cards, etc all the time - it's not as black & white as you seem to think.

As a matter of fact, with the exception of a couple of rotten apples (you know who you are), the people who do CGC SS for profit are much more considerate of both the creator and other people in line than the average "real fan".

This is one of those issues that is causing me to really back off on the amount of SS books I get done, and may eventually cause me to tire of it so much as to take a break completely.

I have no problem with facilitators or creators charging for their participation in the SS program. Facilitators are working for me, after all, and creators should participate in the profits that often come with their signatures being put on books (even if they just perceive that their signatures lead to enormous profits because of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on eBay asking just stupid prices for SS'd books).

I am working on an ASM SS collection because those books are meaningful to me, and I really enjoy getting those books signed (even though it is unlikely to significantly increase the value of most books I do). Any barrier that comes up to prevent me from personally being able to get signatures for my collection that can be SS'd is one more reason for me to not do SS. I have yet to do a single SS book primarily for resale, and I don't tend to do more than 3-4 in an entire show (typically spread among several creators). I'm already a bit fatigued by the money I'm racking up doing it, and one more roadblock is one more reason to really curtail what I'm doing with SS.

rantrant

I certainly understand the reluctance to hand off the books to a third party, I also want to meet the creators when I get my books signed. While I'm admittedly new to the game, my decision has been to keep getting books signed myself, no CGC when I have the opportunity to meet the creator, after all, I'm not concerned with future resale, and I'm having books signed that I have a personal connection to, they're all my OO books, and not many would grade well anyway.

Separate to that there are a number of key books and creators that I want to own an SS of. For the most part I've actually decided to buy already finished pieces as the grade is guaranteed, but I will also be submitting the odd book myself if I know it's a rare item to get signed SS. These items always have the potential to hit the chopping block, but the one's above where I met the creator and got the sig myself, will always remain in one short box dedicated to that purpose (note - only 1-2 books a creator)

I think many of the creators are tired of CGC and their facilitators in their line. The creators know who they are. They are getting books signed for people who could not make it to the show.

Well I am at the show, I paid transportation, hotels, meals and bought a ticket to the show. I'm not going to get to meet some creators because CGC facilitators are taking some of the tickets, if it was one facilatator that might slide but there are a LOT of them.

Creators might be getting tired of seeing the same people in line all the time.

So they set up a private signing for the people they see weekly and thier Con signing is for the true fan who want to meet them.

I think DC comics almost did it right. No dealers and a five book limit. Every book I got signed could be CGC SS. If they did a private CGC signing also it would have been perfect.

I hope the creators and CGC can come to an agreement where there can be a private signing and fans can get in line and CGC SS thier books.

Those out for profit get in the way of real fans all the time.

I see "real fans" going up to creators with a shortbox of raw books, stacks of graphic novels, an entire box of trading cards, etc all the time - it's not as black & white as you seem to think.

As a matter of fact, with the exception of a couple of rotten apples (you know who you are), the people who do CGC SS for profit are much more considerate of both the creator and other people in line than the average "real fan".

A "real fan" getting a stack of fifty or so books signed by Perez 2 weeks ago. The books under his envelope were done prior to me taking the picture.

null_zps4f69979c.jpg

My point to starting this thread is to question whether it would be better to simply limit the books being done in line or to force everyone who wants a SS book to have to go through a separate signing. What difference does it make to a creator's time if the 100 books he signs for 1 person is for CGC or not? Charge a fee? Sure. I understand that and I can pay it or not. Make it impossible to have the book signed, SS it and meet the creator all at the same time? Seems like a sledgehammer approach to a mosquito problem.

That said, good facilitators work with creators when they have volume. That can be private signings or x books/ y time limits. It's the people who abuse the kindness of creators or flaunt the limits that cause the backlash.

Completely agree.

I think it's ridiculous that if I want to get 1 book signed by a certain creator, it needs to go through the hands of somebody else (and line their pockets on the way) even though I'm physically present at the show and could easily handle everything myself.

It's a sad state for the industry that more & more modern creators seem to get locked into deals like this ... I don't blame a hot writer or artist for trying to make money off their signature - they can charge whatever they want and I'll either pay it or not - but I have zero interest in having to bring my single book to your table between the hours of 5:30 and 5:45 on a Saturday, pay you your signing fee and also grease the pocket of your artist rep simply because I want to get my book CGC'ed.

amen

In general this whole situation is/was created by facilitators who don't know how to behave or understand how to deal/work with creators.

More & more creators are being put off by behavior and in my opinion you will see more private signings.

It's a shame and I'm tired of it myself.

The point is, that stack of 100 books belongs to that one fan. Those stack of books shows his support for Perez through all the years. If it was just about money, creators could set up their own signings with no middle man. They wanna meet and great fans. Give the creators credit for knowing whose who because you can clearly tell