• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 the Modern 'Hulk 181'??

68 posts in this topic

Yes

Whether or not you or I or anyone understands it...that's another question.

Whether its justified by the character's back story, canon, rouges gallary, love interests, costume choices, weapons gallery, special powers...there are many, many more questions to ask.

But at the end of the day, is NM98 the modern Hulk 181?, I think 20 years from now we'll be saying yes.

But how about right now?

Yes

Whether or not you or I or anyone understands it...that's another question.

Whether its justified by the character's back story, canon, rouges gallary, love interests, costume choices, weapons gallery, special powers...there are many, many more questions to ask.

But at the end of the day, is NM98 the modern Hulk 181?, I think 20 years from now we'll be saying yes.

But how about right now?

9.8's will consistantly break $1K prior to movie, maybe even prior to the trailer.

(there were several laughing at me when I stated this in earlier threads, and many probably still scoff at me now, but this will happen)

If the trailer is good...look out, who knows?

Book will plateu sometime after the movie, maybe even trend back a little, but these huge gains (of this last year+) will not be lost (as long as the hobby as a whole remains viable).

There are lots of great arguements to be made, especailly availablity, census population, the evolution of 'pressing', all will have impacts...

There are also other great books of the late Copper/Modern era...

... but this book will serve as the best modern analogy today and 20 years from now.

The problem I have with ever believing NM 98 could be the next Hulk 181 is that Deadpool doesn't really have a significant canon.

Wolverine has 40 years of interesting backstory.

He didn't have much back story until the 1980's though, did he?

And then within about five years all hell breaks loose with his back story. Was he born with the claws? Is he Canadian? I don't even know anymore.

The problem I have with ever believing NM 98 could be the next Hulk 181 is that Deadpool doesn't really have a significant canon.

And then within about five years all hell breaks loose with his back story. Was he born with the claws? Is he Canadian? I don't even know anymore.

Don't you mean 1990's?

Don't you mean 1990's?
The 1980's was when much of his background was established I thought. The first mini by Frank Miller and tying into UXM.

The 90's is when everything went to garbage, yeah. Is he part wolf now or something? Part tiger? A combination of everything with claws and fangs that he knew he had, but then didn't know he had, but then thought the government gave him, until he remembered he always had them.

NO. Batman Adventures #12 is. Here's why. Back in the day, when Wolverine got "hot", anything that had Wolverine on the cover sold for a premium a few months later. That's happening with HQ. A subtle difference is that HQ is numero uno for the female readers, and the female readers are growing...so it has good demographics behind it also. If I could choose one book to hold 15 years, it would be BA12, not NM98.

Edited to say this: Both books are good...don't get me wrong...but I think BA12 is a better fit for the question asked.

NO. Batman Adventures #12 is. Here's why. Back in the day, when Wolverine got "hot", anything that had Wolverine on the cover sold for a premium a few months later. That's happening with HQ. A subtle difference is that HQ is numero uno for the female readers, and the female readers are growing...so it has good demographics behind it also. If I could choose one book to hold 15 years, it would be BA12, not NM98.

Edited to say this: Both books are good...don't get me wrong...but I think BA12 is a better fit for the question asked.

Just not enough to beat out Deadpool....sorry.

Problem is, women earn roughly 80% of what men earn. So, if HQ has a predominately female audience, the BA12 book just won't get the same money that a book like NM98 does. Minimum NM98 should fetch 20% more than BA12 if you look at the earning potential of a male fan versus a female fan. I suspect NM98 will fetch even more however since there are more male comic fans who also make more money.

more male readers + higher earning potential > less female readers + less earning potential

:roflmao:

I just couldn't do it. I don't know how some of you post the mess you do with a straight face.

Problem is, women earn roughly 80% of what men earn. So, if HQ has a predominately female audience, the BA12 book just won't get the same money that a book like NM98 does. Minimum NM98 should fetch 20% more than BA12 if you look at the earning potential of a male fan versus a female fan. I suspect NM98 will fetch even more however since there are more male comic fans who also make more money.

more male readers + higher earning potential > less female readers + less earning potential

So I'm guessing you have neither a wife nor a girlfriend? hm Nor a sister or mother for that matter? hm hm

lol

Content wise BA 12 is not even close to NM 98, as it does not represent the "first appearance" of Harley Quinn. It is merely the "first appearance" of a cartoon character in a comic book. As such it does not qualify to be a part of the conversation.

-J.

So I'm guessing you have neither a wife nor a girlfriend? hm Nor a sister or mother for that matter? hm hm

lol

I'm not understanding your point. Are you attempting to dispute the fact that more men read comics and men earn more than women? Like it or not, those are facts.

My wife has no interest in comic book characters and only has a mild interest in watching them in a movie. My daughter reads Archie comics, but doesn't read superhero comics. My son reads Mad and Groo. Neither are fanatical about comics and I suspect once they move out of the house, on their own, they will not continue to read comics. They have many other interests that occupy their time that doesn't involve superhero comic characters and I'm happy they do.

lol

I'm not understanding your point.

Clearly. :grin:

Content wise BA 12 is not even close to NM 98, as it does not represent the "first appearance" of Harley Quinn. It is merely the "first appearance" of a cartoon character in a comic book. As such it does not qualify to be a part of the conversation.

-J.

I submit, on the basis of both books, that it is a fairly lame conversation from the get-go. :roflmao:

lol

I'm not understanding your point.

Clearly. :grin:

Your point here is as easy to understand as your grading is accurate. Pretty much non-existent from what I'm reading. :baiting:

Don't you have some NM+ comics to sell to some suckers?

I'm not understanding your point. Are you attempting to dispute the fact that more men read comics and men earn more than women? Like it or not, those are facts.

He's disputing a claim that women couldn't come up with money for a copy of New Mutants 98 :eyeroll:

http://robbreport.com.sg/sites/default/files/styles/8col/public/images/articles/2011Nov/2425//756530.jpg?itok=h8UlNGMR

He's disputing a claim that women couldn't come up with money for a copy of New Mutants 98 :eyeroll:

http://robbreport.com.sg/sites/default/files/styles/8col/public/images/articles/2011Nov/2425//756530.jpg?itok=h8UlNGMR

If he is disputing a claim I never made, then I can't help him. (shrug)

I couldn't make it more obvious I was writing all that tongue in cheek. And I thought I was responding to a claim that BAS12 is hot because of the female fans, not NM98. Maybe a successful Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool movie will bring the female fans to that character. hm

If he is disputing a claim I never made, then I can't help him. (shrug)

I couldn't make it more obvious I was writing all that tongue in cheek. And I thought I was responding to a claim that BAS12 is hot because of the female fans, not NM98. Maybe a successful Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool movie will bring the female fans to that character. hm

You say on one hand that it was tongue-in-cheek, and yet in the same post you are condescending and disrespectful of female fans. (shrug) If it quacks like a duck . . . :grin:

I could tell it was said tongue in cheek. Still, Male readers have hundreds to thousands of male superheros to idolize and purchase their stories....to mentally place themselves in the position of their favorite character. But women do not. You should evaluate it in terms of female dollars chasing the universe of female characters vs. male dollars chasing the universe of male characters and you may understand why I'm seriously accumulating female character first appearances. It's a dollar per character thing...like density.

Besides, I've recently heard the following in another thread: "HQ is the female equivalent of Deadpool because they are both irreverent and funny".

Lots of ladies buying HQ's early appearances. Whereas Deadpool's first appearances have been largely ignored until recently with this movie buzz. And that reminds me of Wolverine in the old days....all his early appearances got hot and were easily flipped months later.

-J.

Right now, on Ebay, I can buy a CGC 9.8 version of NM98 using buy it now for $100 cheaper than I can get a BA12 in CGC 9.8 using buy it now. And that is without movie hype. Which book is closer to the value of a high grade IH181? What will movie hype do to BA12? It's your opinion that it isn't part of the conversation, but I think we're all talking about future monetary value, not validity of appearance. Heck, IH181 isn't even a first appearance, so in that regard, IH181 is more like BA12...neither are first appearances in all formats.