• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me understand IH 181...

70 posts in this topic

New Mutants 86 Cable has a cameo, in NM87 he's part of the story and on the cover. NM87 is worth more.

Does the Cable appearance in NM86 actually count as a cameo? It's just an ad for the next issue, not a panel that is part of the story like IH180.

I know it's all really down to us as the collectors/enthusiasts as to what is "key" and what is not, but I'm just trying to get my definitions straight. I suppose this dips into the argument about whether ads for upcoming issues count as appearances.

NewMutants86.jpg

Fail.

How can a character, have a half page, full color, appearance. Where he introduces himself, and is considered his "first appearance" by most or all comic book collectors and readers.

Not be counted as his first appearance?

Baffles me to no end.

But, we are where we are.

If a non-reader asked you what book is the first appearance of Wolverine. Would you reply: IH #180 is his first "cameo" appearance, but his first "full" appearance is IH #181?

They would look at you like you told them scientists found life on Mars, but it was dead, so it doesn't count.

There is the "first appearance" and then there is everything else. The annotations on CGC labels should read this way:

IH 108 first appearance of Wolverine

IH 181 first full story of Wolverine

Could not be simpler.

Fail.

How can a character, have a half page, full color, appearance. Where he introduces himself, and is considered his "first appearance" by most or all comic book collectors and readers.

Baffles me to no end.

If a non-reader asked you what book is the first appearance of Wolverine. Would you reply: IH #180 is his first "cameo" appearance, but his first "full" appearance is IH #181?

They would look at you like you told them scientists found life on Mars, but it was dead, so it doesn't count.

There is the "first appearance" and then there is everything else. The annotations on CGC labels should read this way:

Could not be simpler.

CGC did make it simpler with very informative and descriptive notes on the label.

9d7f.jpg

2lvc.jpg

Fail.

Baffles me to no end.

Could not be simpler.

CGC did make it simpler with very informative and descriptive notes on the label.

9d7f.jpg

2lvc.jpg

I am satisfied with these labels. "First appearance" is in fact, first appearance. Thanks CGC.