• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me understand IH 181...

70 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I have been doing a bit of reading on first appearances tonight, and as there always seem to be a fair amount of IH 181 pics etc on here, I assumed it was the first Wolverine too. Only it's not. 180 was, on the last page.

So why does 181 get so much attention?

With Avengers for example, 54 I thought was generally accepted as Ultrons first appearance, even though it's only a panel.

Or have I completely missed something?

Thanks for the enlightenment!!

Paul

I've gotta say, I've never seen this topic discussed on the boards before.

It will be good to get a final answer on this topic.

I'll attempt to address the OP's question:

Generally, cameo (single panel) appearances don't get the same level of attention (or desirability) as the "first full appearance." IH181 / 180 is a great example. X-Factor 5&6 come to mind with the same issue (apocalypse appears in the last panel of 5), as well as Fantastic Four 48&49 (Galactus in the last panel of 48).

It really comes down to the market and collecting community. In this case, the market (collectors) has decided that IH181 is THE book for Wolverines first appearance (qualified by the word "full").

My recommendation..... Buy both ;)

Oh god, not this again.

When I first joined every other thread was a Hulk #181.

Now the book is making a come back!!!!

Oh god, not this again.

When I first joined every other thread was a Hulk #181.

Now the book is making a come back!!!!

Good thing I just sold mine. :cry:

b7d.jpg

Oh cool, didn't realise certificates were up for grabs!

Let me see if I can think of any more things that you guys may have covered in the 6 years since you registered that I can bring back up.

(worship)

b7d.jpg

Oh cool, didn't realise certificates were up for grabs!

Let me see if I can think of any more things that you guys may have covered in the 6 years since you registered that I can bring back up.

(worship)

Start a birthday thread.

Hello folks,

With Avengers for example, 54 I thought was generally accepted as Ultrons first appearance, even though it's only a panel.

Paul

People consider Avengers 55 as the 1st full appearance of Ultron because in 54 he's unnamed, and cloaked until the final cameo reveal.

People consider Hulk 181 as the first full appearance of Wolverine cause in 180 he's just a last panel cameo. 181 has Wolverine on the cover, and a full story.

People consider Conan 23 as the first full appearance of Red Sonja, but Conan 24 is worth almost as much in highgrade. Conan 24 has Red on the cover, and a full Red story.

New Mutants 86 Cable has a cameo, in NM87 he's part of the story and on the cover. NM87 is worth more.

X-men 282 is considered Bishop's 1st appearance even though he only appears in one panel (CGC notes it as a cameo). X-men 283 has lots of Bishop and a full story (and CGC notes it as Bishops 1st full appearance).

but the market considers X-men 282 the more valuable.

Why?

it comes down to the cover. Show up on the cover, and the market pays attention. Maybe this has become even more prevalant in the slabbed era, but I think it was still somewhat present before CGC came around.

Hello folks,

Paul

People consider Avengers 55 as the 1st full appearance of Ultron because in 54 he's unnamed, and cloaked until the final cameo reveal.

People consider Hulk 181 as the first full appearance of Wolverine cause in 180 he's just a last panel cameo. 181 has Wolverine on the cover, and a full story.

People consider Conan 23 as the first full appearance of Red Sonja, but Conan 24 is worth almost as much in highgrade. Conan 24 has Red on the cover, and a full Red story.

New Mutants 86 Cable has a cameo, in NM87 he's part of the story and on the cover. NM87 is worth more.

X-men 282 is considered Bishop's 1st appearance even though he only appears in one panel (CGC notes it as a cameo). X-men 283 has lots of Bishop and a full story (and CGC notes it as Bishops 1st full appearance).

but the market considers X-men 282 the more valuable.

Why?

it comes down to the cover. Show up on the cover, and the market pays attention. Maybe this has become even more prevalant in the slabbed era, but I think it was still somewhat present before CGC came around.

+1 on what you said here....