• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for pedigree lovers?

32 posts in this topic

Issue in question: Avengers #24 - common book. 3 Issues on pedigree recently, 2 have sold. But to me, although it is a slightly worse scan, the non-pedigree looks better confused-smiley-013.gif And before I get flamed, yes, the unsold one is my copy.

Pacific Coast

Green River

Non-pedigree

Did they just sell for those prices because they are pedigrees?

Well, for one thing, the scan for the non-pedigree book is fuzzier... which may be playing a psychological role.

For a second, the Green River copy is lower price, so that may be a factor.

Third, as you say, it is a common book. While pedigree copies are not.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Your scan looks relatively lighter, so the side by side comparison might be somewhat flawed.

As a note, knowing what I know about PC books I would just assume that the PC copy looks nicer than the scanned image. sumo.gif

And, yes, they sold because they were pedigree books. Personally, if given the choice between a PC copy and soemthing else in the same, or similar grades, I'd 100% of the time go for the PC copy. They're just so nice.

Green River books aren't too shabby either.

To clarify a bit more, what I'm saying is that these books have sold at double the GP price of that issue, I would probably be happy with a bid price the same as the 9.4 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

As for the other 2 books, although nice and from a pedigree that is known for it's greatness, don't they both look slightly miscut?? And is it just the pedigree that is selling it, even though there are nicer copies in 9.4 and 9.6?

To clarify a bit more, what I'm saying is that these books have sold at double the GP price of that issue, I would probably be happy with a bid price the same as the 9.4 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Here's perspective. Not being an Avengers collector, I wouldn't even look at your book if I saw it in a list of 50 CGC books on a site. I would look at both pedigree copies. For some people that pedigree status makes a big difference.

As for the other 2 books, although nice and from a pedigree that is known for it's greatness, don't they both look slightly miscut??

You're talking to the wrong guy with that. Looking a second time, I guess they may both might have slight angled miscuts, but... confused-smiley-013.gif

And is it just the pedigree that is selling it, even though there are nicer copies in 9.4 and 9.6?

For some people it's a real difference maker.

Hi Kevin,

Good question. The Green River #24 belongs to me.....and yes, it's not as nice as the two 9.6s and it was steep in price compared to other 9.4s, but it simply fit nicely with my collecting goals, which include Green Rivers and adding it to my registry set which I am hoping to fill with a wide variety of pedigree books. I'm not a speculator, I just collect what I like.

Plus, Doug is just so damn charming! 27_laughing.gif

I've been very happy with it. What else can I say.... confused-smiley-013.gif

The other determining factor was that after serious analysis, I felt it did offer slightly better QP than my unrestored raw copy. (tape is not restoration)

AV22.jpg

How about this comparison.

PC copy does have White Pages!

Avengers #12 PC

Avengers #12 Non-PC

now that is REALLY interesting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif i think you got the steal there thumbsup2.gif

as to Kev's comments, i think it's just a matter of the books overall popularity, the quality of the images posted and timing.

Frinstance; both my Strange Tales #115 and X-men #3 in 9.4 with off-white pages did very well when compared with their pedigree counterparts on the Pedigree website. the strange tales realized $3K vs the PC copy with better page quality that got $3500. and the X-men realized $4700 vs the Mass copy also with better page quality that got $5K.

go figure?!?!?!?

Issue in question: Avengers #24 - common book. 3 Issues on pedigree recently, 2 have sold. But to me, although it is a slightly worse scan, the non-pedigree looks better confused-smiley-013.gif And before I get flamed, yes, the unsold one is my copy.

Pacific Coast

Green River

Non-pedigree

Did they just sell for those prices because they are pedigrees?

Hmm.. You're comparing a Pacific Coast 9.6 and your non-pedigree 9.6 vs the Green River 9.4.

Is that a fair comparison? (Plus, your scan is a bit fuzzy. The pedigree books look better in person actually than in a scan generally (cover gloss, page whiteness, etc.)

Pacific Coast

Green River

Non-pedigree

This is an especially interesting comparison. Check the scans from Pedigree, and you'll see how much whiter the GR and non-ped books are than the PC copy. Doug maintains the same standard for all his scans, so the cover colors of the three books can be compared directly, even with the out-of-focus non-ped scan. While the PC pedigree is an absolutely remarkable Silver Age collection, I'd strongly prefer either of the two other copies to the PC one, even at equivalent prices.

so are we turning a new corner already as to Pedigree copies? I mean, as CGC took hold, and many "unbeatable Pedigrees" like Bethlehem for one started receiving lower grades than many no-name copies, we saw and discussed the "end of the Pedigrees" in favor of any higher graded copy.

and no-names whose grades equaled Pedigrees were selling for comparable prices.

So now, are Pedigrees considered more valuable than equally graded no-names?

hope I explained that right...

So now, are Pedigrees considered more valuable than equally graded no-names?

Depends on the pedigree, but for the better pedigrees, yes. I don't know much about GA, but it's safe to say that Churches command a premium on those rare occasions where there is a no-name book of equal grade. For SA pedigrees, which I know much better, Curators, Western Penns and PCs consistently command premiums. Perhaps Northlands and Mass's do too. WMs in my experience actually do not, or at least not much of one. My guess as to the reasons would be partly the desire to get piece of the history, and also the fact that these books simply often look better than other books of similar structural quality, particularly when you're talking about pre-1965 books.