• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for pedigree lovers?

32 posts in this topic

Issue in question: Avengers #24 - common book. 3 Issues on pedigree recently, 2 have sold. But to me, although it is a slightly worse scan, the non-pedigree looks better confused-smiley-013.gif And before I get flamed, yes, the unsold one is my copy.

Pacific Coast

Green River

Non-pedigree

Did they just sell for those prices because they are pedigrees?

Hmm.. You're comparing a Pacific Coast 9.6 and your non-pedigree 9.6 vs the Green River 9.4.

Is that a fair comparison? (Plus, your scan is a bit fuzzy. The pedigree books look better in person actually than in a scan generally (cover gloss, page whiteness, etc.)

Yes, this is exactly what I'm comparing, and that is the asis of the discussion thumbsup2.gif

Yes, I am saying that people seem to be paying more for a pedigree book, even though it is not as nice as the equally graded non-ped.

Of course, we are working off of the label here, but a white paged, well centred 9.6 compared to a 9.6 with yellowing pages and mis-cut - which book would you choose?

Throw into the mix the fact that the yellowing, mis-cut book is a pedigree, does that make you buy differently?

Throw into the mix the fact that the yellowing, mis-cut book is a pedigree, does that make you buy differently?

I will just as soon sell a pedigree book that doesn't meet my standards as a non-pedigree book. I have done that many times.

I will also not buy a pedigree book (even if the grade and page quality meets my standards), if it has excessive yellowing or very poor quality of production.

I like your thinking, Sfilosa.

I've been wondering whether CGC would 'erode' the market for pedigreed books in the long run. In other words, as (knowledgeable) collectors see more and more pedigreed books in slabs, and come to the realization that a book isn't necessarily special *just* because it's from an original owner collection, would pedigreed books start to level of with equally-graded non-pedigree books..?

My hunch was rooted in the concept that "A 9.4 is a 9.4, regardless of provenance." Even if it's been owned by twenty people, if the book's in NM, shouldn't it be worth about the same as a pedigreed 9.4 that's only been owned by one or two people (the second owner often being the dealer who obtained the collection) ?

On the one hand, I'm a pedigree fan - and the stories about collections amassed, lost, rediscovered etc. fascinate me. On the other hand, I'm a 'grading purist' who doesn't give weight to a book's age, or provenance, when grading/appraising a book.

Looks to me like pedigreed books still command a premium, but that premium is based more on the fact that most pedigreed books are HG.

Oh, and for what it's worth: the fact that Burntboy's collection has not been designated as a pedigree indicates to me that you really do need to be a BSD to get CGC's attention and affirmation re: a pedigree.

*Have there been any pedigrees designated by CGC, for books submitted by the original owner, or have all "CGC-declared pedigrees" come via BSDs?

Probably the only pedigree that I really seek out is the Church pedigree. I am more than willing to pay 3-5 times the guide value because I feel like I am getting my money's worth, but that is my opinion.

Mass copies or PC's or any of those I am not willing to pay a large premium on, maybe $50 more on a $300-400 book, and only if I like the cut and quality of the book and if it has white pages.

Yes, I am saying that people seem to be paying more for a pedigree book, even though it is not as nice as the equally graded non-ped.

Of course, we are working off of the label here, but a white paged, well centred 9.6 compared to a 9.6 with yellowing pages and mis-cut - which book would you choose?

Id go after the non pedigree. Its a nocer book.

well, thats the question? Pre-CGC, the Pedigree would get more $$. Then early CGC, they were the same price, that is, the non-pedigree copy increased in value to equal the Pedigree. So now, Pedigree is on top again for equal graded and looking books??

As to which would I prefer? It makes sense to me that the better looking book with better structure and fewer defects should be worth more. But, as a consumer, if the consensus is that the Pedigree adds status and value, then Im all for that too. Ive got to go along with the market trends in evaluating a buy. Just cause I like Luke Cage 3 more than Silver Surfer 4 doesnt mean my tastes make the Luke more valuable than the SS....

I will just as soon sell a pedigree book that doesn't meet my standards as a non-pedigree book. I have done that many times.

I will also not buy a pedigree book (even if the grade and page quality meets my standards), if it has excessive yellowing or very poor quality of production.

Agreed. thumbsup2.gif Having said that, if there are two books that both meet my criteria in every way and one of them is a Pedigree, I would be willing to pay a small premium for the Pedigree copy which I could hopefully recoup on resale.

Agreed. thumbsup2.gif Having said that, if there are two books that both meet my criteria in every way and one of them is a Pedigree, I would be willing to pay a small premium for the Pedigree copy which I could hopefully recoup on resale.

Me too. thumbsup2.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed. Having said that, if there are two books that both meet my criteria in every way and one of them is a Pedigree, I would be willing to pay a small premium for the Pedigree copy which I could hopefully recoup on resale.

Me too.

Me Three.

Wait I was the original poster?

But actually, I will also pay a small premium for the pedigree copy, all things being equal. thumbsup2.gif

Agreed. Having said that, if there are two books that both meet my criteria in every way and one of them is a Pedigree, I would be willing to pay a small premium for the Pedigree copy which I could hopefully recoup on resale.

Me too.

Me Three.

Wait I was the original poster?

But actually, I will also pay a small premium for the pedigree copy, all things being equal. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif Pedigrees for everybody! headbang.gif

I should qualify my statement a bit: all things being equal, I will pay a premium for SOME pedigrees. I have to admit I'm actually not a huge WM fan, because I think their overall eye appeal is not all that great, wonderful structure notwithstanding. Winnipeg doesn't do a whole lot for me, not because of the writing but because the overall quality of the collection is not that impressive. Boston and Oakland are primarily mid- to late-60s pedigrees, so don't really stand out all that much, if at all, from non-pedigree HG books of the same era. I've not seen any Green River or Bowling Green DCs from the era that I focus on, so can't say one way or another on those.