• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toughest High Grade Copper Age Book....

49 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone....as you can see I'm new to this board, but I have been lurking for about a month. The CGC boards are by far the most interesting/thought provoking ones I have seen-in the context of collecting, that is. Anyways, what do you all think the toughest high grade book from the Copper Age is? In my experience Watchmen #1 has been a tough find in 9.6 or higher, but I'm sure there are several other illusive high grades from this era.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

9.8's on the following books are rough:

Harbinger #1

Sandman #1

Miracleman #1,15

Not in the same league as Albedo, but still annoyingly tough...

Primer 2 is actually strangely easy. It only brings a bit over $200 in 9.8.

Edit: After checking the pop report, those Primer 9.8's are a good deal at $200. The book is very easy in 9.4-9.6, but there are only 4 9.8's out of 144 submitted.

Great call on the Albedo #2. Any tough HG copper age book will have to have a small print run. I'm tempted to throw in TMNT #1 (1st print) in as well, although the creators are probably sitting on a bunch of copies. Tough to find in the open market, though.

Gobbledygook #1, Albedo #2, and TMNT #1 are all tough. High grade copies of Primer #2 is up for sale all the time on eBay.

Doug Sulipa has a VF/NM of Primer #2 and I think a VF+ as well, right now.

Hello, everyone....as you can see I'm new to this board, but I have been lurking for about a month. The CGC boards are by far the most interesting/thought provoking ones I have seen-in the context of collecting, that is. Anyways, what do you all think the toughest high grade book from the Copper Age is? In my experience Watchmen #1 has been a tough find in 9.6 or higher, but I'm sure there are several other illusive high grades from this era.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Calibos---Just curious what part of OK? I am originally from lawton. Anyway to the question at hand, I would have to agree with the above mentioned books. As for a modern and a relatively new book (a couple of months old), Avengers 500 Director's Cut. I think most of these were damaged in shipping. I tried to find a nice one at the Baltimore show and even talked to the guys at the CGC booth, they even said that they hadn't seen a nice one come through. It seems they just about all have at least one major spine crease. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've got a few ,thanks anyway. I've got a 9.0 slabbed and a few just as nice.As was mentioned earlier,there are only 4 out of 144 submitted that grade out above 9.6. Most of the ones I see for sale come from Joe Koch,who I've already cherry-picked. I don't think he has any above 9.0.

I've got a few ,thanks anyway. I've got a 9.0 slabbed and a few just as nice.As was mentioned earlier,there are only 4 out of 144 submitted that grade out above 9.6. Most of the ones I see for sale come from Joe Koch,who I've already cherry-picked. I don't think he has any above 9.0.

You mean this isn't a 9.6? smirk.gif

I've owned two that were VFNM also.

You mean this isn't a 9.6? smirk.gif

It might be if it was the book actually for sale. He's had Primer #2s listed for months, always the same scan, not the book you'll receive. He says that the book for sale is just as nice, but won't provide a picture. And anyway, a multitude of other problems can be hidden in a scan.