• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now This Is Interesting...

8 posts in this topic

Dark Horse evidently has targeted the military newsstand market to promote Conan. The title has just started to appear on military newsstands and today this showed up as well...

conan.jpg

Not only can you read the classic Thomas/Smith stories but you also get to sample an issue of the new series also. Great idea! Apparently DH sells enough at base newsstands to generate a promotion like this.

It's my experience that newsstand comics sell pretty well at overseas bases. I'm surprised there are more promotions like this...

Jim

Interesting idea for a promotion.

As an aside, I must say that Dark Horse has done a top-notch job reprinting the early Marvel Conan comics. The 5th volume arrived a few weeks ago and I hope that they continue producing these volumes indefinitely.

Interesting idea for a promotion.

Yep I agree. All comic publishers should do more of this in my opinion. Military Bookmarts are the single most profitable product AAFES (Army/Air Force Exchange Service) provides after gasoline. And especially overseas, comic publishers stand a real chance of gaining new readers if the product is put in front of them.

Deployed troops in Iraq are a prime opportunity to get new readers hooked on comics. During Desert Shield/Storm, Marvel and DC shipped multiple free comics to the troops. From firsthand experience, these comics were extermely well received and read extensively. A particular favorite at the time was the X-tinction Agenda (X-Men crossover) and people wondering if the next installment was going to make it there. This is an audience that will read anything to include comics. A format they previously would never have touched. And the great thing about the audience. It's a segment that already has disposable income to spend...

Jim