• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The state of the CGC Forums

125 posts in this topic

More pressing topics will boost posts

Like has anyone posted about pressing digital comics ?

Can they be deGaussed?

-slym

It's better if they are restored through colour manipulation... It's undetectable, if applied correctly... degaussing leaves trace elements that can be detected, and will be purple labeled by the DCP

Is it my imagination, or has the activity on this forum really slowed down? I seem to remember years ago a lot more activity, tons of sales threads etc.

After a while, the boards become much like a fifty year old stripper. Everyone knows they're there and takes a peak ever so often out of curiosity; but untimely there's nothing new, everything's gone downhill, and there's not anything that anybody really wants to see.

When you press digital comics, the colours flatten and merge :(

They can. lol I play around with amateur digital restoration using 15 year old software.

010_Blue_Bird_Comics_Lil_Genius_bef.jpg

After.... just a little better...

010_Bluebird_Lil_Genius_th.jpg

DG

They can. lol I play around with amateur digital restoration using 15 year old software.

DG

Looks trimmed :baiting:

DG

Looks trimmed :baiting:

Definitely! I hate spine rolls!

I could have spent more time of it, but I want the covers to look like real comics scanned.

DG

A messageboard is whatever the group collectively makes it. I prefer posts from knowledgeable people telling me things I don't know about comics. I already know which bags and boards to use. I already know con artist tricks. I already know that a certain percentage of people just want to hype an agenda or perpetuate a clique.

I've said this for years, but two things get people interested in posting.

1) Information. It can be news. It can be knowledge, but raw informative posts stimulate discussion.

2) Controversy. Flame wars. Name calling. Rants. Sometimes even whining.

Quite often the people that complain and whine the most are the least informative people posting and the most demanding. They want me to tell them something as if I work for them and they act as if it's my obligation to answer all their questions. Typically I avoid threads that start out with a new person asking an uneducated question. I don't wish to spend my time online answering the same questions endlessly. Nor do I think it's anyone's obligation to do so. A large number of these people get their answer and wander off anyway because the answer was all they wanted. They had no desire to discuss anything.

DG

Yea....pretty soon the Christmas gift exchange and raffle will come online and things will pick up again.

Unrelated, but every time I drink a beer from my Toon Tumbler, I think of our old thread. :cloud9:

You'll be proud, Fellow Mac--I finally stopped and brewed up a beer. First time in YEARS! Made a dunkelweizen and I'll be darned if it didn't come out AOK (a few bottles were infected due to not being 100% cleared out, but only super-foamy--still tasted ok). Next up is a holiday pumpkin spice porter!

Hope you are doing well, amigo!

Thats pretty cool. Course you can't slab a digital image :popcorn:

I have absolutely no interest in digital comics. I am compiling checklists and cover galleries of what exists so that collectors do have a reference as to what exists. For that reason I want somewhat visually appealing images of real comics. In almost all instances, the gathering of this type of information has led to the rediscovery of things obscure, rare, or long forgotten.

DG

Is it my imagination, or has the activity on this forum really slowed down? I seem to remember years ago a lot more activity, tons of sales threads etc.

People especially many hard core members have soured on all the shenanigans of late with shrinkage, questionable spine repair and face jobs.

Also I think people are moving over to trade paperbacks, hard cover graphic novels, and digital comics for the most part.

I was going to buy some slabbed CGC Fantastic Four back issues when I realized I could buy Fantastic Four Omnibus volumes 1 and 2 for less then $150 on Amazon. These collect FF 1 to 60, plus annuals 1 to 4.

One silver age CGC slabbed FF would have cost me at least $150.

I get more bang for my buck buying trade paperbacks, hard cover graphic novels, and digital comics then generic run of mill slabs. lol

I know what you mean. I just started to turn my main focus to TPB's, so yesterday I dumped a lot of my silver, bronze, and current books at a show in a mall for 50 cents each (there was a feeding frenzy from the other dealers) and will focus mostly on just trades.

People especially many hard core members have soured on all the shenanigans of late with shrinkage, questionable spine repair and face jobs.

Also I think people are moving over to trade paperbacks, hard cover graphic novels, and digital comics for the most part.

I was going to buy some slabbed CGC Fantastic Four back issues when I realized I could buy Fantastic Four Omnibus volumes 1 and 2 for less then $150 on Amazon. These collect FF 1 to 60, plus annuals 1 to 4.

I get more bang for my buck buying trade paperbacks, hard cover graphic novels, and digital comics then generic run of mill slabs. lol

I know what you mean. I just started to turn my main focus to TPB's, so yesterday I dumped a lot of my silver, bronze, and current books at a show in a mall for 50 cents each (there was a feeding frenzy from the other dealers) and will focus mostly on just trades.

I guess we won't be seeing you much around here then?

I guess we won't be seeing you much around here then?

That's a shame. :hi:

Yea....pretty soon the Christmas gift exchange and raffle will come online and things will pick up again.

Unrelated, but every time I drink a beer from my Toon Tumbler, I think of our old thread. :cloud9:

You'll be proud, Fellow Mac--I finally stopped and brewed up a beer. First time in YEARS! Made a dunkelweizen and I'll be darned if it didn't come out AOK (a few bottles were infected due to not being 100% cleared out, but only super-foamy--still tasted ok). Next up is a holiday pumpkin spice porter!

:hi: Forrest. Ya, things are pretty good here, cept I managed to get into some poison oak recently ...... :mad:

You finally brewed ?!!! :applause::applause: Glad you got a break bro. I havn't brewed all year, but with Halloween approaching, I've been thinkin about doing a batch of The Hopn'steins.

:hi: Forrest. Ya, things are pretty good here, cept I managed to get into some poison oak recently ...... :mad:

You finally brewed ?!!! :applause::applause: Glad you got a break bro. I havn't brewed all year, but with Halloween approaching, I've been thinkin about doing a batch of The Hopn'steins.

Home brewed beer. :cloud9: