• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefeld's newest Cover Swipe Homage to his favorite artist - HIMSELF!

65 posts in this topic

Anyone remember the Liefeld drinking game?

Everytime you see a Liefeld drawing with a pouch, take a shot for each pouch.

Everytime you see a Liefeld drawing with a wrist band, take a shot for each wrist band.

Everytime you see a Liefeld drawing with an ankle bracelet, take a shot for each one you see.

Great. Now you have alcohol poisoning.

(I tried finding the website I saw this game on with no luck. It was hi-larious.)

Why anyone liked Liefeld's art to begin with always confused me. Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane had talent. They could actually draw characters that propotionate and still have cool poses. Liefield's characters always had those tiny legs and feet. Remember when Marvel did the the Onslaught event and the Avengers and Fantastic Four were in the pocket universe? Liefeld and Lee were suppose to do two titles each. I think Lee had Iron Man and Fantastic Four and Liefeld had Captain America and Avengers. Each was 13 issues. Liefeld couldn't handle the pressure of actually being on a schedule and dropped out about half way. Lee had to take over. After that everything I heard about Liefeld was bad. Bad professionally. Didn't he get kicked out of Image? So, I guess my question is why is this dude still working in comics and not a manager of a Denny's somewhere instead?

he has his fans who buy his work, no other reason

No kidding. They are out there en-masse, and I don't think they have any idea about what kind of person Rob Liefeld is outside of that Levis commercial. I remember someone here on the board said "Liefeld is a really nice guy at conventions!" - understandibly so - anyone who can still make a livlihood after continually ripping off other peoples' ideas and grifting his co-workers is probably very nice when you whip out money for his schlock.

Speaking of swipes, let's not forget (or educate those who don't know) Rob Liefeld decided that since he couldn't license Jack Kirby's Fighting American at a price he wanted to pay, he decided to create his own star-spangled character with a shield called Agent America as a big FU to Joe Simon and Roz Kirby - withdrawing him only when Joe Simon threatened to sue, and then Marvel shortly after that.

:facepalm:

Captain_America_13.jpg

Liefield's characters always had those tiny legs and feet.

That's just one of the many problems Liefeld had with anatomy. Look at the Wolverine cover posted on the previous page of this thread. His ankle is about as broad as one of Cable's fingers!

...and as for McFarlane? Well, here is his explanation for the homage cover run that includes parodies of some of his own art.

FROM "THE SPAWNING GROUND" ISSUE 231

Don. S from Facebook asks:

Do you ever get flack or friendly ribbing for doing the parody covers?

TODD:

Not really. I choose to do my artwork, put it out, and move on to the next piece of artwork. I don't really canvas people for their opinions after I do my artwork. Once it's done and printed, you can't take it back.

So, to some degree, which may seem weird because I'm answering these letters after the fact, but to me, if I enjoyed drawing it, or it came out the way that I intended, then that's enough for me. Whether people see it differently is another story.

Just to be clear, too, issue #231 will be the last of the parody covers. Starting next issue, I'll focus on doing original covers.

-Todd

Anyone remember the Liefeld drinking game?

Everytime you see a Liefeld drawing with a pouch, take a shot for each pouch.

Everytime you see a Liefeld drawing with a wrist band, take a shot for each wrist band.

Everytime you see a Liefeld drawing with an ankle bracelet, take a shot for each one you see.

Great. Now you have alcohol poisoning.

(I tried finding the website I saw this game on with no luck. It was hi-larious.)

Can't link the original website because the work surf control won't let me get to it, but this blog references the "Ben and Alice" website it originated from. Get your Gatorade handy . . .

Rob Liefeld Drinking Game

"Rob Liefeld drinking game"

Rules:

Read any comic both drawn and written by Rob Liefeld (X-Force, Youngblood, Brigade, etc.)

Take 1 drink for every time the following occur:

* clenched teeth

* mouth open really wide in battle cry

* action shot where background is just abstract colored space

* leg of running/jumping character positioned so that you can only see thigh

* spray of bullets that doesn't hit anybody

* large gun that shoots colored blasts of indeterminate nature

* character or team moves into/out of another dimension or otherwise warps

* character seeming to fly, who cannot actually fly

* character who is not invulnerable casually jumps out of plane/space ship

* indoor floor that is colored green, silver or red

Bonus round: when a new "team" of enemies or allies is introduced, take 1 drink for each correctly-predicted member:

* exactly one big guy

* exactly one woman

* exactly one flying guy

* exactly one character with black and white face makeup

* exactly one robot (robotic nature may not be immediately obvious)

* exactly one black guy with gun and no discernable powers

* white male leader, regular size, with gun and no discernable powers

In addition, 1 drink must be taken for every team member who wears segmented metallic rings around their arm-shoulder joints.

The maximum number of drinks for a new team appearance, 14, has been documented (during a reading/drinking of Brigade #2). The successful completion of any Rob Liefeld issue under these rules, however, has never been recorded.

Is there out cry when Todd McFarlane swipes himself? He does it A LOT...

No, becuase he has talent.

that CGC 10.0 New Mutants #98 for $14K is a tall order for talentless art?

....Huh?

How does that have ANY relation to him being talented or not?

Is there out cry when Todd McFarlane swipes himself? He does it A LOT...

No, becuase he has talent.

that CGC 10.0 New Mutants #98 for $14K is a tall order for talentless art?

....Huh?

How does that have ANY relation to him being talented or not?

It doesn't. It was the first appearance of a very popular Marvel character. One whose become a running rob liefeld joke.

They are apparently considering making a movie about Image getting started. Ive read some of the -script. I hope they pick David Spade to star as Rob Liefeld.

lol

Wow, reading this....mess, its like Rob is painting himself as the quiet, follower with Todd the loud mouth, brash, leader. Like Todd recognized his talent and was somewhat worried about competion. Rob is the wide-eyed innocent, "I have lots of ideas". Basically, Todd was the bulldog and Tom Defalco was the buffoon. Jim Lee seems to be the silent partner. I wonder how McFarlane and Lee feel about this -script.