• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Supplies Question.

3 posts in this topic

Hey

I have been collecting comics for years now and I have always used comic bags and boards. I have read some of the posts here talking about Mylars for protecting comics. A site that was listed else where was comicsupplies.com, which had great stuff. I was wondering....

What is the difference between Mylites and Mylites2, halfbacks and fullbacks?

Are they really worth the extra cost over bags and boards?

How often do polypropylene bags and boards need replacing?

Any advice would be helpful and I apoligize it these questions are answered else where.

Thks

What is the difference between Mylites and Mylites2, halfbacks and fullbacks?

Mylites are much thinner than a Mylite2. The Mylite2's are very similar to Mylar. Mylite's remind me of the plastic over a pack of cigarettes.

Fullback is a thicker board than a half-back.

Are they really worth the extra cost over bags and boards?

Yes. Plus, in theory, you shouldn't have to change the bag or board for a book. I use them (Mylite2 + Fullback) for the books that I really care about or higher-dollar items.

How often do polypropylene bags and boards need replacing?

They say you should change them every 5 years. And it's a real pain in the arse. But, does give you a chance to look at books that you forgot you had.

thumbsup2.gif

If you love your books make the jump to acid free boards and mylar sleeves.In theory they are supposed to last virtually forever.I recently did a check on my modern books (which I have stored in BCE mylars(thin ones)and thin-x-tenders acid fee boards),and noticed the acid free boards were actually a bit discolored and even had a faint odor. 893whatthe.gif These supplies I purchased in the mid 90`s so I`d say I got my moneys worth.My heavier 4mil mylars and time-x-tenders (heavier,thicker)have not shown any noticable change,even though I bought them at the same time.

Comicsupply.com also has the archival micro-chamber paper at a decent price.This is the thin paper you put between the covers and first page and it acts to absorb any acids or other breakdown byproducts instead of the cover sucking it up.

Initially it will cost a chunk of change(the shipping can be 40.00-50.00 depending on your location) but I think you will find it is well worth it.