• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pence Variants

104 posts in this topic

Anymore I don't buy any US books only foreign ones. Pence copies are the closest thing to an exception to that rule. In some cases (although they're few and far between) I will buy Pence stamped DC books but generally only if it's something that falls into my Adams/Wrightson focus.

I've never seen an equivalent DC pence variant. Instead of doing a special print run they seem to have just sent books over and the distributor stamped a UK price on the cover, with the initials "T&P" - which was also commonly seen on Marvel books, Thorpe & Porter handling both.
DC did do some Pence versions in the later '70s and into the '80s but I don't think I've seen anything from before 1977-78 or so from DC in a Pence version, just Pence stamped.

In the 1950s and 1960s American comics typically arrived in the UK as ballast on ships. In 1959, Thorpe & Porter (widely known as 'T & P') became the sole UK distributor of Marvel comics. These were printed on Marvel's American printing presses, along with a special cover giving the British price instead of the price in cents, and shipped across the Atlantic. Inside the front cover, with the indicia, a sentence mentioned Thorpe & Porter as sole distributor in the UK market. Thus it was that brand new American-printed copies of Fantastic Four #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, The Amazing Spider-Man #1, and countless others, appeared in the UK.

Thorpe & Porter was purchased by the distribution arm of DC Comics, then known as IND., in 1964, going on to publish an official Superman/Batman reprint book, DC Special

Anymore I don't buy any US books only foreign ones. Pence copies are the closest thing to an exception to that rule. In some cases (although they're few and far between) I will buy Pence stamped DC books but generally only if it's something that falls into my Adams/Wrightson focus.

I've never seen an equivalent DC pence variant. Instead of doing a special print run they seem to have just sent books over and the distributor stamped a UK price on the cover, with the initials "T&P" - which was also commonly seen on Marvel books, Thorpe & Porter handling both.
DC did do some Pence versions in the later '70s and into the '80s but I don't think I've seen anything from before 1977-78 or so from DC in a Pence version, just Pence stamped.

From 1971.

141910.jpg.3888abe51e8ca7e30270b80080f27705.jpg

From 1971.

Interesting. hm So does this mean that DC was doing them for a time and stopped only to pick it up again later? Were they done in Pence versions in very limited numbers and sent over with cents copies (to meet order quantities) that were stamped upon arrival? (shrug)

From 1971.

Interesting. hm So does this mean that DC was doing them for a time and stopped only to pick it up again later? Were they done in Pence versions in very limited numbers and sent over with cents copies (to meet order quantities) that were stamped upon arrival? (shrug)

I only saw that by accident when looking through my collection - don't think that I have ever seen any others so not sure how it snook by.

From 1971.

I only saw that by accident when looking through my collection - don't think that I have ever seen any others so not sure how it snook by.

If you ever decide it needs a new home let me know. I :luhv: foreign Adams books. :baiting::whistle:lol

I would like to get a hold of a high grade AF15 or Hulk 1 Pence copy.Been looking for that right one.Of course waiting for the stars to align too.

Hulk Pence Copy 7.0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Incredible-Hulk-1-PGX-7-0-1962-pence-/390676137689?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item5af61cc6d9

Trimmed & CT in a PGX slab, I bet Dave would buy that for a dollar

I would like to get a hold of a high grade AF15 or Hulk 1 Pence copy.Been looking for that right one.Of course waiting for the stars to align too.

Hulk Pence Copy 7.0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Incredible-Hulk-1-PGX-7-0-1962-pence-/390676137689?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item5af61cc6d9

Yeah PGX? Not interested. lol The single fact that the scarcity of Hulk 1's Pence copies to even make it to 7.0 and it's in a PGX slab? That's cause for concern.PASS

The original Dell Turok Son of Stone run in the early 60s has numbers 20-25 that have both a pence price and a cents price printed on the cover. I have 20-22 and 24 and I've seen the other two in person. I've also seen 23 with just a pence cover.

Anybody care to speculate as to why there are 2 prices printed on these covers and in the case of the 23 (there may be more) why there would be both a pence and cents cover and a pence only cover?

Anyone have any other pence only ore pence/cents Turoks outside of the 20-25 range??

Hulk Pence Copy 7.0

I guess PGX can detect resto after all.

From 1971.

141910.jpg

That's a nice example. The Hulk 1 is exceptionally difficult. I see more AF 15's of all the SA keys, but that's 2-3 a year at most.

quicksilver, how often do you come across a 9.4 or higher raw bronze Pence copy? Probably impossible to find raw silvers that high, eh?

I can't say as I've ever come across a silver pence that high - even 8s / 9s are very tough to move - I once acquired an 8.0 X Men 1 for a customer, and sold his similarly graded pence copy for about a third of the price...

quicksilver, how often do you come across a 9.4 or higher raw bronze Pence copy? Probably impossible to find raw silvers that high, eh?

I can't say as I've ever come across a silver pence that high - even 8s / 9s are very tough to move - I once acquired an 8.0 X Men 1 for a customer, and sold his similarly graded pence copy for about a third of the price...

I think the times they are a changing,and Pence copies are going to start gaining some ground.

From 1971.

Yes DC didn't do what Marvel did and print pence versions in the late 50s / 60s, they sent copies over to be stamped. For some reason, they test printed a few actual pence versions such as that Flash, also Action 402, Jimmy Olsen 139, Detective 413 I think, one or two others.

I think the times they are a changing,and Pence copies are going to start gaining some ground.

As keys increase beyond the capabilities of most mortals, it's probably inevitable that they will.