• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pence Variants

104 posts in this topic

Interesting also that the Flash 208 & Detective 413 are a good few months apart, and of course different prices - you'd think if DC were testing the market they'd do a batch of issues in the same month...

Seen many pence Star Treks and Boris Karloffs too.

This is obviously a reprint. It has a black and white interior. I assume that the original Tales of Suspense #39 came out when the american version did? This one was printed (I believe) in 1965? Can anyone tell me about the cover price, and what is the american equilavent in price?

sinistertales23front001_zps406c37e3.jpg

This is obviously a reprint. It has a black and white interior. I assume that the original Tales of Suspense #39 came out when the american version did? This one was printed (I believe) in 1965? Can anyone tell me about the cover price, and what is the american equilavent in price?

That's pretty awesome though,great score. :applause:

Like all SA keys, the UK variant of TOS 39 came out at least a month before their US counterpart.

141927.jpg.fa7ae935c8d88c380f39f071103c941d.jpg

Like all SA keys, the UK variant of TOS 39 came out at least a month before their US counterpart.

So the first appearance of Iron Man would actually be the pence issue. I thought it would have been the other way around, since Marvel is an american company. Thanks for the info.

So the first appearance of Iron Man would actually be the pence issue. I thought it would have been the other way around, since Marvel is an american company. Thanks for the info.

That's just an Alan Class reprint comic, not published by Marvel.

That's just an Alan Class reprint comic, not published by Marvel.

Yep Paul is correct, this is a British comic, reprinting US stuff in black and white and as such do not really qualify as pence issues in this context, as they are all priced in Pence.

They are also quite common and cheap, although some of the "Key" reprints do get a premium.

Technically, yes. And this applies to all SA keys where a UK variant exists.

However I just want to be clear that the TOS 39 I'm referring is the one I included in my previous post - this one (9d cover price):

141927.jpg

However I just want to be clear that the TOS 39 I'm referring is the one I included in my previous post - this one (9d cover price):

141927.jpg

That looks like a really nice copy, what grade do you think it is, I have a one but it is low grade

It's a really low quality scan I found online. It's also a cropped scan. There also appears to be an indentation of the top staple. The nice thing about the UK variants is they don't exhibit Marvel chipping like their US counterparts. All said, I would say mid-grade which is quite good given their scarcity, but hard to know for sure without seeing a higher quality, clearer scan and all the outer edges.

I haven't seen many of those early DC pence copies but I always wondered if they were printer differelty to the Marvel ones.

I always thought they looked as if they were printed over the cent price at the end of the run?