• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom Stranger 1 ('52) and Doc Savage V2/7 Classic Cover and MORE

25 posts in this topic

PHANTOM STRANGER 1 ........ Sold to me as unrestored and I don't see anything. Great PQ (unusual for this book) and the main problems are the inpacted staple (still fully attached) and a bleach spot at the top of the cover. Without the spot it would probably be a solid Fine. This copy does have the transfer stains on the front cover that commonly are associated with this issue as well as the streaking in the lower left area of the front cover..... kind of looks like fog and I'm not sure if it was intentional with the design. This is the prettiest copy I've ever seen in person and a CGC 6.0 just sold at auction for $ 1600. This is half that and almost as nice. It actually looks better than my pics and scans indicate. You'll have to make your mind up on this one in a couple of weeks as I'll be catching up on other commitments if it sells. A couple of light tears on the back cover and the staples are still shiny and tight. Light bleach smell..... probably associated with the spot on the cover.

PHANTOMSTRANGER1.jpg

PHANTOMSTRANGER1b.jpg

PHNTMSTGR1.jpg

:takeit: per PM

Nice copy of a tough book. (thumbs u

I just love the "lombrosian" approach Kirby uses in early depictions of the Wizard and Paste-Pot-Pete. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesare_Lombroso

Had to look that term up, but Kirby was a master of this technique. His bad guys always had obviously deformed features, especially back in the S&K days.

Of course, Lomboso theories have always been pretty much pretentious and schematized, as it’s clear that to some degree inheritance has its influence (on temper) but to push that idea to extremes means to remove free will – but it just occurred to me when I looked at Jimbo‘s #102 (never thought before) that Jack applied the general idea with great effect.

Early Wizard and Paste-Pot-Pete, the Mole Man, the Puppet-Master, the list is long…

And those who weren’t deformed outwardly, were deformed more in a moral way, like Doom or the Miracle Man, whose character has been excellently developed by other writers.