• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the WORST comic buying decision you ever made???

122 posts in this topic

Or didn't make? For me, I think both happened on the same day. :facepalm:

I got back into comic collecting in early 2002. Didn't own a single comic book for 30 years prior to that. I learned about comic prices from eBay in late 2001 so I dcided to get back into collecting. Fast forward about 3 months (May 2002).

Went to a local auction in northern Illinois. I knew they had a bunch of old MAD comics at this auction and did manage to pick up those. They put all 17 MAD comics in one lot (which included a #1) and I won those for a little over a grand. So that was a good buy right?

So what was that worst decision? Me spending over $200 for a lot of 20-25 old lower grade Mutt & Jeffs that are still sitting in a file cabinet collecting dust. What could I have spent the money on instead? That short stack of 9 or 10 Silver Surfer #1s most in very nice condition. :facepalm::cry:

So what's the worst comic buying decision YOU ever made? hm

There should be a LOT of great bad stories out there. lol

It's funny, but I can't really think of one. Made a lot of mistakes selling books, but can't think of any bad purchases. That doesn't mean they didn't happen, just that the selling mistakes stand out much more.

Gun to my head, I'd guess it was the couple of cases of Deluxe X-Men #1, but over the years, I've slowly moved most of them.

Not buying all the Pacific Coast pedigree early SA Marvels that were available from Pacific Comic Exchange in the spring and summer of 1999. It turned out to be the sale of arguably the greatest SA pedigree of them all. :cry:

Paying $450 for what was supposed to be a NM- to NM Incredible Hulk #181 and getting a ragged POS instead:

ypla.jpg

:eek:

-slym (this was 10+ years ago or so, stupidly paid with a PayPal balance instead of a credit card)

:eek:

I still want to find this guy - he lived in Texas back then, no idea now. Huge, long BS story about a death and I was dealing with his widow and I just got screwed, man.

Live, learn, & hope to not repeat your mistakes.

:)

-slym

Awhile back, bought into the hype of book I really, really wanted instead of waiting a year or two for it to cool back down. Normally, not a big deal - but this time it cost me $400. Worst buying decision ever made? The jury is still out on that one, but I'm definitely wasn't confident enough to tell my wife about it. :eek:

I don't think I've ever had a bad purchase.

You are one lucky dude. When you have to purchase things via mail by scans and not holding it close-up, your bad purchase mojo goes up exponentially.

I don't think I've ever had a bad purchase.

You are one lucky dude. When you have to purchase things via mail by scans and not holding it close-up, your bad purchase mojo goes up exponentially.

How about 100 copies of THIS:

46lmc.jpg