• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 Mark Jeweler's Insert

22 posts in this topic

Question for the experts here... I recently picked up a NM 98 Mark Jeweler's insert -- I've never seen one on this book (in fact I hadn't even heard of it) but have seen a few on NM 87s...

The book is otherwise a 9.8, but I'm curious as to what people feel this does to the value -- any kind of significant increase, or nobody really gives a f--k.

It represents a small subset of NM 98s available for sale. In a 9.4+ slab it's a good reason to start with an aggressive selling price. I have to believe you could beat GPA by a significant margin.

Nice score! Is NM 98 your new favorite book yet? lol

I think with the book being so crazy right now, combined with the variant craze that effects so many modern collectors, if you have a NM 98 MJ CGC 9.8 someone is going to pay a crazy stupid price for it. 2c

A quick rundown:

"Here is another variant collectible for you Bronze Age collectors! This variant, unlike many other comic variants, is not subject to one comic company, but both DC and Marvel. In the mid 1970's DC and Marvel comics included a four page color insert in a number of their comics. These inserts can be seen if one looks at the top edge of the comic, then one will see a blue heavy stock insert. There is a belief that these variants were distributed near U.S. military bases, both at home and abroad. These Mark Jeweler inserts allowed servicemen to purchase jewelry and engagement rings. The ratio of standard comics to the number of variants is currently unknown, but it appears that the variants were produced in a smaller quantity."

My mom always said my dad ordered her wedding ring out of a comic book...it was in the 70s...he was a Marine. So I wonder if I could find her ring in the ad...that would be cool.

edit: found it not mark jewelers but national diamond sales...cool anyway. Funny story but the diamonds ended up being fake when they went to have them reset years later.

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2009/04/25/national-diamon-sales/national-diamon-sales/

Crown Empress

Sorry to derail, cool on the NM 98. Out of my price range I'm sure :D